Topic: The Lay-Wah Saga: Episode 7 - Lego Star Wars

Directory Link

The Lay-Wah Saga: Episode 7 - Lego Star Wars

YouTube

PREVIOUSLY:
"Clone Commander Cody and his men have been sent on a mission to disable the new droid factory's defences by shutting down its main power generator. But the fierce wardroids produced there are surprisingly already operational, which proves to make their mission quite a lot more difficult. Luckily, Jedi Master Lay-Wah has come to the rescue!

But the noble Jedi has still not fully recovered from past injuries. Will he be able to hold back the gigantic droids for long enough?"

This is my newest brickfilm and I’m very proud of it. You don’t need to see the previous episodes, as long as you read the resumé in the description.

But I’m aware a lot of you guys have very high standards, so that’s why I’d just like to get ahead of you and point out
the critique I am aware of / stuff I need to improve in the future:

It’s LEGO Star Wars. A lot of you are tired of seeing this type of videos and think they are unoriginal. But I enjoy making these, and luckily some  people appear to enjoy watching them.

There’s always room for more FPS. I always try to improve, but my current capture software has had a habit of crashing lately, which makes me uncomfortable with animating for too long at a time.

Their aim in the first scene is terrible. I originally planned to make the hallway a lot longer, which would explain why only the sniper managed to be precise. But I messed up and forgot about it until it was too late.

Slow pacing. The fights could have been a little more intense, especially between Lay-Wah (the jedi) and the wardroids, with a bit more advanced animation. The gunfights may also look cheap and repetitive to some. I plan to give the blasters recoil in the future.

The post-credits scene looks weird if your screen is too bright. Some pixelation shows up that weren’t supposed to be there.

Last edited by Drannion Entertainment (January 16, 2014 (02:25pm))

Re: The Lay-Wah Saga: Episode 7 - Lego Star Wars

I liked it. 

The Good
I really liked how the carriers doors opened a bit when it was slammed against the wall and how the droid sustained damage from that.  I also really liked how you had the lightsaber hole in grey and the lightsaber half out of the droid.  The part where red light flashed on Ventress' face was really cool.  I thought your attention to details, like these, was pretty good.

The Bad
I really didn't like the overuse of the grey base plates.  I know it is hard to make more detailed sets, but it's worth it.  Just try improving on your sets every time.  I used to use grey base plates as well so I know where you are coming from.

The Ugly (parts that were good, but could use some improvement)
I thought the animation was okay, but you did acknowledge that in the original post.  The effects weren't too bad either, but I felt like they outpaced your sets a bit.  I thought the lightsaber effects were great though.

I hope I don't come across as too negative, I did like it and watched the entire thing.  I thought it was an effortful take on the clone wars genre, you at least had your own Jedi.  The only thing people around here really don't like about those is how they are usually plotless and cliche, with some fortuitous violence added.  I would watch an original Star Wars brick film any day.  I can't wait to see the next part.