Re: Bricks in Motion Awards

JonnDthunDer wrote:

Whoa, I totally spelled "grandeur" wrong.  Whoops mini/shifty

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/Mr_Sm1l3y/TELLMEAGAINSPELLINGMISTAKE_zps9fb0c738.jpg

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/45159661.jpg

That's enough guys. If you wanna spam that thing all around here, at least keep it in the special thread.
It's not that funny, and doesn't even have a lens flare. So yeah, please carefully consider ceasing the continuation of this childish copying of cringe worthy conduct. 
Thank you.

Anyways....

The BiM awards take a TON of work and time, and I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon. There's only so many members that I would consider "Worthy" of hosting and organizing such an endeavor. But as noted before, they have all sadly fallen inactive as of late and/or are unwilling to do it. Smeagol and Lech are both right, and I really think that unless somebody special is willing to really step up, the BiM awards will become a thing of the past.

Perhaps there could be some way to gathering the best nominees of each month together and keeping track of those over the year which would help alleviate the workload at the end. But this would require somebody (Or bodies) keeping up with everything all year long. And people's memories are too short-term to have public submissions only at the end of the year, as that would be heavily biased for the most recent films.

While I would love to see the Awards return, it's sadly just not practical at this point.

Could we have a sort of poll system, where fans suggest and then vote for nominees? Or would that not work too well? I am guessing by how well the community can take a discussion about language in brickfilms or forrestfire101, a democratic system might not work too well.

EDIT: Sorry Pritchard. mini/shifty

Last edited by PushOverProductions (January 23, 2014 (02:18pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Said brickfilmer isn't even active here, so I don't think he would be up for consideration in any case.  I find it a bit odd though, every time a "controversial" topic on BiM pops up, there's generally a huge brouhaha about it--but almost everyone behaves maturely and level-headed about the whole thing and it never explodes into full flame war or argument.  For which I am very grateful.

There could be a "shortlist" thing in which well-received brickfilms are put up for nominations, and people vote for those to become the winners of the BiM awards--however, this might mean lesser-known brickfilms might be overlooked.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 23, 2014 (04:00pm))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

You guys really shouldn't post off topic so much.
Posting an image were it is unwelcome is the quickest way to get it old.

I would love it if we could have the awards back, but, if not, I guess that's okay.  It kinda felt good to strive for something in filmmaking, but I always try to make the best films I can anyway.

Yeah guys, save Scribble Cop for special occasions, and Twitter. We don't want it going stale.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

What if there's a topic where each month people could 'nominate' a certain number of films that were good (however they use the word).  Like maybe for the last two days of one month and the first two of the next month the thread would be open to people nominating for the previous month.  Then, at the end of the year, there'd be this huge list that the judges can go through and then it could work more like normal nominations and there could be a people's choice award and all that like usual.  That way most of the great brickfilms each month should get nominated and then it's a bit easier to go through at the end of the year.
Except, then depending on which months people release films it could cause problems.  I don't know, maybe something like that would work.

No more postings of scribblecop from me, sorry everyone.

JonnDthunDer wrote:

What if there's a topic where each month people could 'nominate' a certain number of films that were good (however they use the word).  Like maybe for the last two days of one month and the first two of the next month the thread would be open to people nominating for the previous month.  Then, at the end of the year, there'd be this huge list that the judges can go through and then it could work more like normal nominations and there could be a people's choice award and all that like usual.  That way most of the great brickfilms each month should get nominated and then it's a bit easier to go through at the end of the year.

But that would be pretty cluttered up with people randomly nominating brickfilms.

How about one nomination topic at the end of each year?

But then you'd have 12 months' worth of brickfilms to sort through...

FlyingMinifig wrote:

But then you'd have 12 months' worth of brickfilms to sort through...

If a person thinks that a brickfilm is worthy for a nomination they will remember which one it is.

I'll start by saying that I had made a pilot, sometime in 2012, for a Brickfilm based review show. I realize that other things are out there, currently, however, none seem to have yearly awards. Thus, I think that, if I can resurrect CinematiCritics, I may start hosting my own yearly awards, all of which would be kept in record on this site. (In some topic I'd create later, if this does take off.)

It wouldn't be "officially endorsed by BiM" or anything, but, remember, the original brickfilm awards weren't either. (at their start)

So, it's a great thing to strive for, though, until someone has an award-type setup that lasts at least 2 years, I doubt this kind of thing would kick-off again.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

PushOverProductions, that's what I thought but then someone else mentioned how in 12 months people won't remember all the films back to the start of the year, even if they were really good.  12 months is a long time, so people will remember a lot more in the last 2-3 months than the start of the year, even if the ones at the start were better.  It would get pretty messy but if there's some rules in place it might be a lot easier than some other options.

We don't need annual awards. We aren't big enough to warrant one. And I still firmly believe we should be encouraging people to make films because they want to make films, not so they can win an award or a contest or a challenge. Too many people's motivation comes from boosting their own ego instead of the desire for creation.

I agree with Nathan.

I feel like the egos could get in the way of this becoming a positive thing. I think a lot of the great brickfilms this year came from a need/desire to create - and if we can keep encouraging that it would be better than any awards ceremony. mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

OOOOH, a new contest. Time to make a video to see if I win anything!

The rest of the year: I'll just post little test videos to show that I still animate

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Nathan Wells wrote:

We don't need annual awards. We should be encouraging people to make films because they want to make films, not so they can win an award or a contest or a challenge. Too many people's motivation comes from boosting their own ego instead of the desire for creation.

Sometimes, their ego can be the "push" they need to get a film done. I agree, it's not a good thing, but, at least it gets some above-average brickfilmers to make something other than tests.

Those animation tests! I can't stand them! And, to top that off, they should be a private reference unless you discovered something you think you need to share with the internet... IF NOT, DON'T POST A HORRIBLY BAD LIGHTSABER DUEL!!! mini/no

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Brickfilms are so varied, and there are only a hand full that (I think) do it very well. Any contest for brickfilers would be hard to judge.

Galactic Films wrote:

Any contest for brickfilers would be hard to judge.

Yeah, you're right. Probably because all LEGO bricks are filled the same way, which is with plastic.

I'm sorry, I just had to.

LASF wrote:
Galactic Films wrote:

Any contest for brickfilers would be hard to judge.

Yeah, you're right. Probably because all LEGO bricks are filled the same way, which is with plastic.

I'm sorry, I just had to.

mini/bigsmile
yes except that would be pronounced brick FILERS so either those who use nail filers on lego bricks (I have done this to make custom figurines actually) or those who organize lego bricks (i'm pretty sure we've all done that)
http://www.illmakeitmyself.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/you-tried.jpg