Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Gladiator

Having seen the beginning of it a couple of years ago and really enjoying what I saw, I have always wanted to know how it ends, so I finally got round to watching it yesterday. I have to say it is a great film. The script was very good and had lots of memorable lines, and the ending was amazing. This is one of the very few films that really made me want to root for the protagonist, as it really gave the sense that there was something to fight for. I don't want to reveal anything about the ending, as I think that you really have to watch the movie to get the full power out of the last few scenes. I hope to watch it again someday.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

This very cool movie called "The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry"

Black Friday I already can't remember most of it. mini/shifty

It's not a full-fledged movie, but I watched my old Max Headroom original UK film from 1986, the inspiration for the TV series.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

The Prestige

Of Nolan's films, this is probably my new favorite. Really enjoyed the mix of historical and sci-fi elements. A fascinatingly tragic example of the depths that human pride and obsession is capable of going. Like most of Nolan's works, it definitely warrants at least two viewings to fully appreciate all the subtle plot elements.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Brickcrazy wrote:

The Prestige

Of Nolan's films, this is probably my new favorite. Really enjoyed the mix of historical and sci-fi elements. A fascinatingly tragic example of the depths that human pride and obsession is capable of going. Like most of Nolan's works, it definitely warrants at least two viewings to fully appreciate all the subtle plot elements.

This is by far my favorite Nolan film. I love it so much.

I just watched Pan's Labyrinth the other day. Gorgeous film, and an interesting story. Definitely something I'd like to rewatch sometime.

also, What We Do In the Shadows.
I am so glad I watched this. xD Nothing complicated or flashy, but the humor is amazing. mini/tongue

@Mighty Wanderer: "We're Werewolves, not Swearwolves." mini/bigsmile

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
I thought it was pretty good, but it had some very "Neo vs. a Million Agent Smiths" CGI moments; they honestly might've looked worse than that scene. I think the editing and music especially made the whole thing really entertaining, though. It's all kinda in-your-face and over-the-top in a way that doesn't always work, but often does. The soundtrack's one of the first in a while that I've actually come home and said, "Dang, I'm gonna look that up on Spotify." There's a lot of scenes that are intercut with later scenes, in a way that keeps the pace moving along really well, and there's a montage at the beginning that I really loved. One of the character designs stood out as super out of place, though. Like it was straight out of a video game.

I just watched Pan's Labyrinth the other day.

Huh, someone just recommended that film to me today! mini/lol

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Kime no Na wa (Your Name)

Fantastic movie, one of the best I have seen in a long time.

The story wasn't all that unique or deep, but the way in which it was told is brilliant. The characters were lovable and relatable, and their voice actors did a magnificent job. It also had several plot devices that kept it from being really predictable, which I was very thankful for.

The art was beautiful with a bright clean color scheme, with character designs that reminded me of the Hayao Miyazaki style. The music was also lovely, perfectly complimenting the mood of each scene.

Overall this was a visually beautiful film that had a charming way of telling a wonderful story.

So, I just watched The Prestige, and uh, watch it if you haven't seen it. It's on Netflix. It's a dark and incredible film. That's all I'm going to say.

Hacksaw Ridge

I haven't seen many war films, but those I have seen have been completely blown out of the water by this spectacular movie. Someone had recommended it to me, and seeing in the film selection on my flight going over to America, I thought I would watch it and... WOW. This is an amazing film, made ven better by the fcat that it is a true story. Yes, it might be unsuitable for any who do not like a lot of gore, as it does present the horrors of war really well, however the story is brilliant. I won't spoil too much, but if you have no idea what it is about, it is about a man who refused to touch a gun due to his childhood, and so the first part shows his struggles as he barely manages to stay in the army. The rest is about American forces in Okinawa, where this man saves 75 lives without using a gun, and the way he does it is very impressive. This was the first time that I was really and properly rooting for the good guys to stay alive, as the film helps you bond such a strong connection with the protagonist. If you ever get a chance to watch it, watch it.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Wonder Woman
It had great action, comedy, drama, and it had a few twists and turns. Essentially, it appears that DC listened to what the critics and fans said about their films, looked at what Marvel was doing, and acted on it.

Now, a lot of people have said it, and I might as well admit that I did in fact notice some parallels with other superhero movies, Captain America: The First Avenger in particular. It takes a lot of plot points from the 2011 movie - the villains are especially very similar, and Steve Travers is basically a less powerful Captain America.

I also found the twist at the end was a little out of left field. I won't spoil what happened, as it did come as a surprise to me, but the reveal could have been better.

But overall, these are pretty minor complaints, and it didn't spoil my experience at all.

Luckily, there are a lot of positives. The character development was good. We get to learn a lot about the characters, who were all enjoyable to watch. Wonder woman was never characterized too much in a comedic way for it to get annoying. She is a fish out of water, and has little understanding of the outside world, but it was always handled well, and she learns as the film progresses.

Also, for a female lead superhero movie, directed by a woman, I was expecting there to be some kind of preachy feminist message behind it. Perhaps stereotyping men and trying to make a big deal out of Wonder Woman being, well, a woman, but it never felt that way. Men and women were both portrayed and written equally.

Before this movie came out, I never had any interest in watching another DCEU movie again, and because of this, all that has changed!

THE SHACK

Man!  And I thought Forrest Gump (which I recently re-watched) was a tear fest!  The waterworks flowed heavily here!
This movie is an allegory witht he Holy Trinity and its relationship to man.  Yet, it's not a "preaching to the choir" film that a lot of movies with Christian themes have.  Most of those movies have a person accepting Christ and getting baptized as the central theme.  Even "God's not Dead", which is very realistic, has this, which adds to the cheese factor.  This one isn't overt, although it has a waterfall scene that can be symbolic of a baptism.  Warning: Some very heavy themes in this movie.  It's an artistic piece of urban fantasy, and possibly one of the best movies of the year.  Movies with Christian themes definitely are getting more broad in their appeal, more serious, and this is a prime example.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
There are not enough words to describe how much I love this movie. It succeeded my expectations in every way. Unlike The Amazing Spider-Man 2, where all the trailers and tv spots spoiled 90% of the film, there is so much of this film that wasn't shown, and there were even a few surprises, including a twist you didn't see coming. I'm not sure if I would it the best Spider-Man movie in my opinion(SPider-Man 2(2004) is my favorite, it inspired me to want to become a director), but it is definitely up there. Tom Holland is pitch perfect in this film, having the audience laugh, cry, and really cheer him on when he wins. The Vulture, perfectly played by Michael Keaton is definitely one of the best villains of the MCU. We understand his motivations, and he is a well-rounded character with background and personality. A big reason why Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 weren't great was a lot of villains in them(3). This film features more than 3 and managed to balance them out without it feeling over stuffed.

This film didn't try to be this epic superhero film that greatly expanded the universe but focused its efforts on the characters it already had. It is really a teen high school film disguised as a superhero movie. The rest of the teen characters(Michelle, Ned, Liz) were great as well, with each character supporting or minor given a chance to shine on shine and crack a joke.

This movie is seriously funny. In my opinion, its exceeds Guardians 1, and it's not forced. It flows naturally. All in all, I excited to see what the future holds for the web-slinger in the MCU

10/10

Baby Driver
Really good. It's cool to see Edgar Wright do something that's less comedic; there's an awesome sense of danger here. This movie feels a tiny bit like La La Land with a bunch of guns and cars added. This, Get Out, and Okja stand out as really great genre films from 2017 that aren't based on any pre-existing work.

William Osborne wrote:

Wonder Woman
It had great action, comedy, drama, and it had a few twists and turns. Essentially, it appears that DC listened to what the critics and fans said about their films, looked at what Marvel was doing, and acted on it.

Now, a lot of people have said it, and I might as well admit that I did in fact notice some parallels with other superhero movies, Captain America: The First Avenger in particular. It takes a lot of plot points from the 2011 movie - the villains are especially very similar, and Steve Travers is basically a less powerful Captain America.

I also found the twist at the end was a little out of left field. I won't spoil what happened, as it did come as a surprise to me, but the reveal could have been better.

But overall, these are pretty minor complaints, and it didn't spoil my experience at all.

Luckily, there are a lot of positives. The character development was good. We get to learn a lot about the characters, who were all enjoyable to watch. Wonder woman was never characterized too much in a comedic way for it to get annoying. She is a fish out of water, and has little understanding of the outside world, but it was always handled well, and she learns as the film progresses.

Also, for a female lead superhero movie, directed by a woman, I was expecting there to be some kind of preachy feminist message behind it. Perhaps stereotyping men and trying to make a big deal out of Wonder Woman being, well, a woman, but it never felt that way. Men and women were both portrayed and written equally.

Before this movie came out, I never had any interest in watching another DCEU movie again, and because of this, all that has changed!

Just watched it myself today and I have to agree with you on most of what you've said. I think the only things that really bugged me which you haven't mentioned was

Spoiler (click to read)

that I don't like the way that Wonder Woman defeated the and guy, I mean, come on, one of the few people who knows that she is Zeus' daughter and decides to uses Zeus' weapon on Zeus' daughter? I just can't see how that would ever work, it's like adding fire to fire.

Also, one thing that has always bugged me even more (and please forgive me if I'm forgetting something here, I'm by no means a Marvel/DC Super Heroes nerd so I am probably unaware of something) but I just don't get how in all that fighting she comes out completely clean and free of pretty much any muck, blood or dirt on her skin. They did something similar with when Travers comes out of the pool and he's completely dry, like whaaaat? Anyway, to me those bits don't make any sense, but aside from that it was a good film and I honestly think that after some of the terrible Super Hero movies that have been out recently *cough* Batman V Superman *cough*, it's nice to see films like Wonder Woman and Spider man: Homecoming to remind us how good Super Hero films can be mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

twickabrick wrote:

Baby Driver
Really good. It's cool to see Edgar Wright do something that's less comedic

I thought it WAS a comedy, like Baby's Day Out.  Now I'm disappointed.

I re watched Bricks in Motion: The Documentary... mini/smile

Jaws: The Revenge (1987)

I think people trash on this film just a bit too much. I thought it was hilarious! Love it.

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

I guess I'm just really into the 80's when I'm sick. mini/tongue This one's definitely worse. Although, I still feel as though the flaws of this film could be fixed with some competent editing (like speeding up the moon fights so they aren't slow-motion, better syncing up voice overs to footage, cutting out some lines/scenes all together)

Kinda sad that I prefer these over the rest of cinema this year... Hopefully things change soon.

Dyland wrote:

I still feel as though the flaws of [Superman IV] could be fixed with some competent editing

^ If someone wants to take that as a challenge, be my guest.

Last edited by Dyland (July 24, 2017 (11:41pm))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I just watched Dunkirk projected on 70mm film in a theater equipped with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound (Though I'm not entirely sure it was used on this film), and man, what an experience. This is a film which really needs to be watched in a theater, if you can. I'll be shocked if it doesn't win the Oscar for best sound design and at least get nods in several other categories. If you're the kind of person who only goes to the theater to see a movie a couple times a year, this should be one of them.