Topic: Vampire Owls

Directory Link

Vampire Owls

YouTube

What's more important: vampire dignity, or first-class delivery?

You can read additional canon info here:
http://jampotstudios.blogspot.co.uk/201 … -owls.html

Vampire Owls isn't anything special. I've wanted to do a vampire-based animation for a while now - and this won't be the last either - and I decided to make it in my revision breaks over the last couple of weeks. Oh yeah, I'm in the middle of my exam period right now. Which isn't fun. At all. As with pretty much all of my animations, there are some problems with Vampire Owls. My light flicker issue has returned, and though I could remove the worst of it in After Effects, it's still visible now and then. I hope that doesn't detract from the video too much.

And thanks to Squid for his amazing voice acting talent! I sent him lines for the Postal Vampire and he did Naldo as well, and brilliantly too at that.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Vampire Owls

Story  The story is pretty decent.  It works well for a brickfilm and can be pretty entertaining.

Animation  Your animation has definitely improved since you started.  My biggest complaint would be post-production camera movements.

Voice Acting  The voice acting was well done.  Harrison Allen is a good voice actor

Effects  The rain looks good, but the star of the special effects is the flying owl.

Overall  This is a very nice short.  Not an all time classic, but very fun.

Story 8/10

Animation 7/10

Voice Acting 9/10

Effects 9/10

Overall 8/10

Last edited by BrickTective Productions (June 3, 2014 (07:35am))

Thanks! I guess I achieved what I was aiming for then - just a quick bit of (hopefully) solid fun, and I'm glad you were as pleased with the owl wings as I am.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I enjoyed that.  mini/smile  wings pretty sweet.  Nice animation and the voices were awesome.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Yep, them wings look a lot better in motion.

The set and lighting create a great atmosphere, and you did a great job on the effects.
This hilarious discussion seems right up Squid's alley, and he was the perfect choice as a voice actor.
Your animation is getting better and better, though I would have had a tiny bit more variety on the camera angles, as well as ditched the post-production camera moves.

The background info is really cool, and makes a great supplement to an already good film.

For whatever reason I can't make out a word in that last line.
"____ six days I presume."
And it's bothering me. So please enlighten me and relieve this heavy burden.
Thanks.

"For to six days I presume?"  Sorry about that.  I might have done some slightly more audible takes of that line, or I thought I had, I sent all of them, though.

I liked the setting, though I do think that the rain effect should have been blurred more.

I wasn't asked to do Naldo, but upon reading the script I felt a very specific voice in mind so I decided to go ahead and throw that out there while I was doing it to see if Jampot would like it.
And as a hater of sunlight I do quite enjoy playing vampires.

I'm glad y'all liked it so much!

The camera angles is the main thing that's bothering me, as well. I have a really awkward animating space and would have needed to uproot the set and put it at either end of the desk to animate from the sides properly, but it would have been worth doing. Worth bearing in mind for next time.

Nice! I loved how the owl swooped in, it was great!

I would work on your cinematography, I noticed a few jump cuts here and there; but besides that it's good! I liked the story, and the voice acting was great.

Keep up the good work! mini/smile

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Really nice! The owl swooping in was fantastically done!

A few nit-picks though. At around 0:05-ish, there was what seemed to be a lightning strike? I'm not 100% sure, but it looked at bit more like a light flicker (which it might've been). Some of the minifigures' movements were a tad bit choppy as well.

Anyway, it was really great. I look forward to seeing more! mini/yes

LASF wrote:

At around 0:05-ish, there was what seemed to be a lightning strike? I'm not 100% sure, but it looked at bit more like a light flicker (which it might've been)

I thought I'd solved my light flicker problem, but when I started animating, I discovered it had returned full force. I managed to remove it in After Effects, but I still got the occasional flash, though I thought adding lightning sound effects to some might make it seem more like part of the storm.