Topic: Help bring BIM to the world at Brickcon 2014

Brickcon, an AFOL convention that meets annually in Seattle, would be a great place to represent BIM to the larger LEGO community. I could go there, as it is close by, set up a display of my film making setup and maybe have some movies on a playlist going in a loop, but I would like to do much more than that.

The best way to get everyone excited about brickfilming is to show these LEGO fans some of the best LEGO movies. What better way than to pass out hundreds of DVDs during the convention with a hand-picked selection of some of the best films, past and present! Add an added bonus for those of us who have already seen these film on youTube I would like to get as many directors commentaries from the filmmakers included as bonus tracks.

Some of the people who watch these films may want to create brickfilms of there own, so I would like to include some of the best video tutorials to get newbies started. Links to the site would be listed on the DVD. We could also have a QR code, printed on both the disk and a business card in case we run out of disks, because lets face it, a lot of people come to these conventions. The QR code would link to a page on our site with a welcome letter, a listing of recommended films, and tutorials.

To do this, I need your help. I need suggestions for films and tutorials. Try to keep films PG, nothing too scary or offensive, and also try to avoid inside jokes that you would have to be a member of the site or the old Brickfilms.com to get.

The second thing I am going to need is money. I'm not going to ask for money in exchange for nothing, once I can confirm a booth at Brickcon I will set up a Kickstarter to raise funds for the DVD printing.

Tier 1 at $5 will be a credit on the DVD, tier 2 at $15 will be a copy of the DVD mailed to you and maybe at tier 3 @ around $45 would be little write up of your studio with a link to your YouTube or website. If you have any suggestions for payment tiers, I am open to suggestions.

There would be three levels of Kickstarter funding. The first goal would be to raise enough money to cover booth expenses and the printing of business cards I could hand out along with the mass printing of the DVD to hand out at the convention. The second stretch goal would be to get a Blu-ray created so everything would be in high-def. These goals would be something like $500, and $1000 respectively.

So if you could recommend films, tutorials, or Kickstarter incentives, let me know. Any thoughts, perceived flaws, or other ideas that could make this project better are also welcome!

Edit current suggestions:

Tutorals

Game of Brickfilmers
Lechnology has suggested a 'Game of Brickfilmers' opening that could be included in the DVD, this is something I could see adding, maybe as the first film that plays in the DVD playlist, it might be hard to get in done in time but if he can get it done in time I would be willing to put it on the DVD.

Re: Help bring BIM to the world at Brickcon 2014

This is a brilliant idea!

I've had the idea for a while of making a stop motion animation at a convention. Maybe there could be a few BiM members who make a brickfilm at Brickcon? I mean, what better way to get people to the site than to show them what we do? At the end of it all, the film could be shown at the conclusion of Brickcon, and then released to DVD.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

If some animators really wanted to create a film at the con and if that could be done in whatever booth space we had they are welcome to stay on a couch bed at my place in Seattle during the convention. However, as an animator I would not be able to get anything done in that kind of environment, I once was trying to do some simple replacement animation that was just a loop while chatting with friends and that turned out really poorly.

The DVD has to be finished before the convention starts so a DVD release of an animation made during the convention WILL NOT HAPPEN. I would love to have a screening at Brickcon of a selection of the best films but I haven't spoken with them yet because I would at least like a few films I could link them to so they could get an idea of the quality of the work.

I have not been active in the community for the last couple years and I'm sure I've missed a lot of great new films which is why I need you to recommend films that I could show. I would like to contact them by next week so I want as much feedback as I can get this week. I know 116 days seems like a long time to younger members but I need to get a lot of work done in that time, including contacting (and possibly collaborating) with animators, running the Kickstarter, and getting the DVDs and packaging done.

I would at least like to set something like this up as an example of what film making looks like and a computer with a film loop running some films which would be the bare minimum display:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8340/8246809082_3e51387c67.jpg

But having an interactive animation workshop, or an animation display going on along with those things would be great.

Some great brickfilms to get LEGO fans excited would be:

Egyptian Holiday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg6uX_6j10E
Pirates Rule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agdCdl6NI6Y
Siege!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfWTQ19pWA
The Magic Portal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jde4qHbCtSg

Of course, there is a good chance you might have some difficulty getting permission to use some of those. Also they are al pretty long, (with the exception of siege). I thought these would be good because they cover the most prevalent LEGO genres and all have that sort of....charm, to them.

EDIT: Oh, and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGrYlDaxYw

Last edited by PushOverProductions (June 9, 2014 (06:29pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

This is a really exciting idea! I second all of Pushover's suggestions (especially Major Malfunction). Here are some from the top of my mind:

Viva La Vida - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIuxiwhUGz4
Works from BrotherhoodWorkeshop - https://www.youtube.com/user/BrotherhoodWorkshop/videos
Jurassic Floor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgO1UzS0BfY
The Lego Shootout (Western Train Chase) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yROT2m6DQFw
The Force Unleashed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijpH6an-JIQ

These are just some more recent and popular ones, although I'm not totally sure if you're looking more for films from the community here.

EDIT: It would also be really awesome to look into some of Rymdreglage's work- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXlPjU … liZv37vQSw
but I'm not sure how that difficult that could be.

Last edited by Tobias (June 9, 2014 (06:52pm))

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

This is a good idea however you will encounter many obstacles allow me to elaborate.

Firstly, even though you are taking suggestions of brick films (The best might I say) you will have to take in consideration that you will need to seek permission from every brick film you use. (Past and new) Even though most brick filmers would allow you to use their film, some brick filmers might not and this is for many reasons.

Secondly, You have to remember this is a steep step for someone who just thought of an idea to promote BiM don't get me wrong its a great way to promote the community but remember one thing. You are on your own wanting to get a booth at brickcon (Competing against others) grab a whole bunch of great lego videos and tutorials from the past to present and produce them on a CD or Blu Ray disk then send it on a loop and to do that hence the Kickstarter project. This is A LOT of work for one person. Given your time frame it is considerably decent you will still encounter a lot of work. Especially if you are given the booth remember you still need the funds well before it is time for Brick Con and you would need a considerably large amount of DVDs/Blu Rays you'd need a decent good looking setup on the day to attract attention. It will really difficult to do on your own and I would consider you get other people to help you and not do this on your own.

Thirdly, you mention you would like to collaborate with other animators, this is a great idea but what happens for the people who aren't near Seattle even tho you are? What happens if the Kickstarter is successful and you get more than 100% or you earn more than you need? What happens to the money from there? You have to put all these things in consideration and remember that if you are working with someone you all equally in this. No one is above another.

Finally, my last mention is don't bother with Blu Ray it's expensive and very unnecessary were talking about brick films not blockbuster movies here. DVD quality is still fantastic for brick films and they still have that great quality.
This will also help you on your final pricing.

And thats a great list by Tobias I would recommend it.

Don't take this the wrong way or be startled this is merely to help you and point out the facts and obstacles you will/could encounter along the way and important things to remember and consider if you go through with this.
After all we are a community and we do help one another.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Great idea - I suggest you scale the display/activities to suit the manpower available.  Thinking big is fantastic but don't set yourself up by over promising.

Get a stand, get some pamphlets, get a projector (or laptop), get some vids on a loop (with sound).  Speak to commercial stop mo developers (DragonFrame/Stop Motion Pro) and see if they'll toss in $100 bucks each to pay for the stand.  They can have their poster on the wall behind you.  Tell them if they don't sponsor and their competitor does then they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.

You can try the same for entry level web cams but I find that harder to negotiate (ie hardware ppl never return calls/emails).

In other words - if I'm a random Joe and I see your stand.  I want to be awed by the vids on a loop.  I then want to talk to a pro about how to start this hobby.  My questions would be:

- what camera to start with (lets not promote a $2000 DSLR  for beginners eh)
- what software to use (can push any user friendly free software - lets not make it MonkeyJam)
- what website do I visit for help (BiM of course - you got pamphlets right?)
- what basic equipment do I need?  (lighting 101 & lego bricks)

The answers to the first two questions depends on what sponsorship you get.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Togfox, If sponsorship was that easy everyone would be getting sponsored you don't get sponsored just because you told them you'll put a poster of their brand, etc. You need to show them your able to handle yourself well and accordingly and that their money will get them noticed and promote them, and as far as I know big companies like canon and dragonframe/Stop motion Pro wouldn't work with small indies like this one (That's not even created yet). They would work with potential big companies knowing they'd get a good advert and promotion on their products out of it.
Let's try to be more realistic on this topic and provide information on how he can improve his idea, through other methods besides sponsorships.

You do however have some good suggestions as the questions and pamphlets.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

I voted no.
Unfortunately, I haven't a penny to my name, and thus cannot buy anything, so I really can't.

PushOverProductions wrote:

Some great brickfilms to get LEGO fans excited would be:
Pirates Rule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agdCdl6NI6Y

While I'm happy that one of my films would be suggested, I and most people tend to believe How to Not Rob a Bank is a better film, along with Sharks and Clowns and Odoriferous.
Also, the problem of having a longer length isn't as prominent, as all three of those films are only around about a third of Pirates Rule's length each.

I'd be happy to aid with those films and allow any number of them to be added to the DVD if everyone thinks that they are okay for it.  They are also clean and free of copyrighted stuff I don't own.

For the rest of the recommendations, I think that it's important to note that we could only use a video of original content, and not something that has stuff owned by others.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but on YouTube, I've comprised a neat little list of some of my favourite brickfilms.  My list only has about 50 brickfilms on there.  Not all of them are applicable, as a few have copyright stuff, but just about all of them are quite enjoyable and pretty clean, and are likely to be worth consideration.  I've tried to keep my list of favourites very small.

Think about what the purpose of this display is.

It's not to sell a product. It's not to display a MOC.

It's to show the world this website, and in doing so, tell them what our hobby is about. Pamphlets and videos are great for the after marketing of the website, but I think an interactive display would work well to get people interested in this hobby. Even if nothing comes of it, have someone (or more than one someone if there is interest) animating something. The audience can watch on, and learn more about stop motion than ever before.

So that these someones can animate in peace, have another someone or two handing out pamphlets and answering questions as to what is going on. I'd say 4 people in total for an effective display, and they don't even need to all be associated with this community. Ask some friends that live in the area, and see if they want to volunteer their time. All you need to do from there is give them a crash course, and they're ready to go mini/smile

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Well, here's some of my favorites:

Zombie:Genesis
Unrenewable
Once Upon a Saturday Afternoon
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
LEGO: Batman- Out of Character

And I would go for "How to Not Rob a Bank" as the film of choice from Squid.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

So that these someones can animate in peace, have another someone or two handing out pamphlets and answering questions as to what is going on.

I don't think anyone would be doing serious animation - I mean - that environment is not conducive to quality work.  It would be cool to have a lego plate on a stable stand close to the "audience" so that they can do the animation and someone trustworthy can operate the camera/laptop.

You'd talk them through a walk cycle - or replacement stop mo - or just building a small racing car block by block or something like that.  They can do the animation, "you" can take the frames and after 15 mins or so you can play back a very jerky stop motion film of a minifig walking.  They would then walk away chuffed that they made a five second movie and see how easy it was.

Be prepared for lego pieces to literally walk away if they're not glued down.  mini/sad

Aka Fox

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm just going to make a list of films that have been suggested, I've added them to the first post and will sort through copyright and objectional content later.

Divine wrote:

you will have to take in consideration that you will need to seek permission from every brick film you use.

I understand this, and I may not be able to contact some of the film makers, others might not want to be part of it, and I'll respect their wishes.

Divine wrote:

You have to remember this is a steep step for someone who just thought of an idea to promote BiM don't get me wrong its a great way to promote the community but remember one thing. You are on your own wanting to get a booth at brickcon (Competing against others) grab a whole bunch of great lego videos and tutorials from the past to present and produce them on a CD or Blu Ray disk then send it on a loop and to do that hence the Kickstarter project. This is A LOT of work for one person..

This is not the first major project I have done for Bricks in Motion, I realize I will spend  a lot of time on this, but I still doubt it will be as much work as some of the initial programming I did on the directory submission system when the site started. I have created DVDs, I have submitted films to festivals (I know this is different) and I understand that this is going to take a lot of foot work, I am prepared for that.

Divine wrote:

you mention you would like to collaborate with other animators, this is a great idea but what happens for the people who aren't near Seattle even tho you are?

It's something I am open to, but I understand that other Brickfilmers might not be able to make it to Seattle, if I have to have some friends man the booth I can do that, although they are not experts on LEGO or film making.

Divine wrote:

What happens if the Kickstarter is successful and you get more than 100% or you earn more than you need?

ha, Ha, HA HA! Traditionally Bricks in Motion members are not that generous with money, many of them are under 18 and can't use credit cards online, or are broke students. If I meet the minimum goals or get a bit extra I will probably be spending a lot of my own money. If I get more money the project can get nicer.

Thank you for taking the time to considered the full implications of this project Divine, I am trying to prepare for less then favorable outcomes.

togfox wrote:

I suggest you scale the display/activities to suit the manpower available.  Thinking big is fantastic but don't set yourself up by over promising.

I will be lucky if I can get one other Brickfilmer to help me out, if I need additional assistance I will have to get friends to help as needed.

togfox wrote:

Get a stand, get some pamphlets, get a projector (or laptop), get some vids on a loop (with sound).

I have most of this equipment, I plan to have business cards with a QR code with more information attached to the link embedded in the code then I could have on a pamphlet.

togfox wrote:

Speak to commercial stop mo developers (DragonFrame/Stop Motion Pro)

I'm not really worried about sponsorship, if everything falls through I can pay for the booth out of pocket, it will suck, but that's life sometimes you have to take chances. Maybe if this year is a huge success I will get sponsors next year.

togfox wrote:

...list of things newbies need

I plan to have this on the QR code link and DVD if possible.

@Squid
I understand that not everyone can help financially, I do think 'How to Not Rob a Bank' would be a great inclusion along with your camera movement tutorial.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

...It's not to sell a product. It's not to display a MOC. It's to show the world this website, and in doing so, tell them what our hobby is about.

I would love to have an interactive display (or a workshop) I have my DSLR and a Quickcam 9000 which would be best for the show, I don't have enough computer hardware to run a workshop so I think that that is out. But letting people sit down and mess around with animation with a few quick pointers would be great for the booth and very doable.

Pancake Island
Ghost Train

These are two of my favourite brickfilms.

I've voted 'yes' because even though I don't really have that much money, I'd still like to contribute if I can spare enough for a DVD.

Also, how many brickfilms are we looking to put on the DVD, and should we also look at adding some newer ones to the list?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I plan to have this on the QR code link and DVD if possible.

All good and well, but if everything is on the DVD - what will people actually see at your stand?  At static set under lights?  A laptop on a continuous loop?

What props will you have?  What will you show people?  What can they take home (okay - you've got that covered)?  What conversation starters will you have on display?  What packaged products will you have on the counter to point and talk about (this is a stretch goal)?  How will you interact with your audience?

And sponsorship - seriously - a two paragraph email saying "Hello - holding a brickfilm stop mo stand at the Brickcon.  The stand costs $xxx.  It would be great if your company can contribute $100 to offset the stand and I can put empty boxes of your product on display to help me sell the idea of combining lego with stop motion.  Here is my mobile number if you think you can help.  K.  Thx.  Bai."

Oh - a fun idea - make your own iron-on logo for a T-Shirt for your self and your friends.  mini/smile  T-Shirt costs $10 and the iron on a few bucks.  Print out from computer and iron on.  Not like you're wasting a T-Shirt.  You can wear it for years to come while you animate.  mini/tongue

Aka Fox

I've made a bunch of tutorials that you can use if you wish. https://www.youtube.com/user/Rsteenoven … y=tutorial

Another tier for funding that I would recommend we raise money for would be some kind of short advert on behalf of BIM to show we are going to be there, 30 seconds, also something we can show at the event, like a this is BIM, we do this and this, join us here, we will be here at brickcon.

@jampot
I would like around an hour and a half to two hours if possible.

togfox wrote:

What props will you have?  What will you show people? ... What conversation starters will you have on display?

I will have a set from my movie on display as well as a loop  of films on display, the sets for my current project are looking really good, and after all people are here to see LEGO models in real life.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8208/8245728455_78a35f7e64_z.jpg

In addition to the film loop and whatever set I use I would also like to have a little station someone could sit down and make their own animation with my Quickcam, if people want to talk about my set, I will be able to talk their ears off, if they want to talk about the films being played I shouldn't have a problem, and I will be able to answer almost any questions they have about stop motion.

togfox wrote:

And sponsorship - seriously - a two paragraph email saying "Hello - holding a brickfilm stop mo stand at the Brickcon.  The stand costs $xxx...

I was talking to a friend tonight about sponsorship and he proposed a good idea of how I could get some. I don't think most companies are going to be interested in handing out cash, but I am going to ask Dragonframe if they would be interested in donating a few copies of their software as Kickstarter incentives. If they do, I would rep them at the con and put an ad and/or some videos of there software on the DVD. So if we had a $150 tier or something Dragonframe could be one of the incentives, that means the money people spend on that tier would go to me for funding, but it wouldn't cost Dragonframe anything to hand out a few software keys, and as an added bonus whoever payed for that tier would get Dragonframe at half off. It might not fly but I think they are way more likely to pass out a few product keys rather then give me cash.

@Rsteenoven
Thanks! I'll take a look at them

SlothPaladin wrote:

I was talking to a friend tonight about sponsorship and he proposed a good idea of how I could get some. I don't think most companies are going to be interested in handing out cash, but I am going to ask Dragonframe if they would be interested in donating a few copies of their software as Kickstarter incentives. If they do, I would rep them at the con and put an ad and/or some videos of there software on the DVD. So if we had a $150 tier or something Dragonframe could be one of the incentives, that means the money people spend on that tier would go to me for funding, but it wouldn't cost Dragonframe anything to hand out a few software keys, and as an added bonus whoever payed for that tier would get Dragonframe at half off. It might not fly but I think they are way more likely to pass out a few product keys rather then give me cash.

That sounds great, and you should totally go for it. Even if they say no, at least you tried, and this would be a great help for the DVD.

I do think some shorter, lesser known, perhaps even less skilled brickfilms should go on the list, just to show the range of stuff that's uploaded to BiM. You don't have to be a classic to be appreciated, and thinking otherwise is something that often turns away new members who don't feel appreciated.

Plus, I feel like a lot of current BiM members are underrepresented on the list atm. I think that a few of last year/this year/whichever was the most recent year's THAC entries should go on (such as Fitz and Flubblewalf?) as well as some Animation Challenge winners (like Pritchard's one-shot animation, maybe?).

Just my opinion though.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Feel free to suggest some less known/less skilled film makers, as I said I haven't really been active for a while and haven't seen a lot of the latest animation, so long as the films will keep the audience entertained we could work multiple skill levels into the program. The animation loop for the program itself can be much greater then the content of the DVD as well, if I have 5 hours of animation for that I won't get board with the content that is playing.

Here's what I've got.  A few of the tutorials that I've found very useful, and brickfilms I'd say are my favorites or that I consider classics (excluding any already listed, which nearly all those would have been on my list).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tutorials

Animation Tutorial: Ease In, Ease Out & Running - FancyPants

Nathan Wells BricksinMotion Video Tutorials (entire series?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Films (in no particular order)

Green Eye- Jonathan Vaughan

The Profession- MindGame Studios

The Call of Farqunglu- Bionicle28

Cashman- SmeagolStudios

Beast- Nathan Wells

The Machine- SuburbAnimStudios

Love in Black and White- Walter Benson

No Crawme's Sing Along THAC- Brickhead Productions

Monochrome- FlyingMinifig

The Good Old Days- Loïc F-B

If Rooftops Could Talk- Pritchard Studios

A Date with Julie- A Repelling Spider

EDIT: A few I forgot to add the first time

La Conquista- Jampot Studios

Frankenstein- nosniborus

The Package III - Deadfire- Saminatorger

THAC 11 "How I survived"- filmyguy

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (June 10, 2014 (11:13am))