Re: Help bring BIM to the world at Brickcon 2014

So I was away getting my little Game of Brickfilmers project rendered when this Brickcon discussion sprouted wings.  I wonder if you'd consider including a username/studio/logo sequence like what I'm planning on working on to be added to the DVD or whatever booth content you intend to show?

If so, I may just have to aggressively promote my Game of Brickfilmers project and get some collaborators on board. I'd need a deadline, though.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

I have a playlist of my favourite brickfilms. It's incomplete, as I only started making the playlist a few weeks ago, but most of my favourites are there. Some have already been suggested, others have not. They're not in any particular order, except for the top five, which are my five favourite brickfilms of all time (those five are in order, as well).

I'll go back and start trying to pick out some others, from THAC and the animation challenges.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Nice - a set to play with, one of your own superb sets, a loop, give away software (if you pull that off) - excellent!!

I think the loop should also include some less intimidating films as well.  I mean, everything being nominated here are all fantastic films - but they all took months or years to make with fancy Adobe AE added - oh - and don't forget some of those great sets require hundreds of pieces (which frankly - at a brickcon - is probably one problem newbies wouldn't have mini/lol  ).  Some more humble but great clips might be just as inviting as the awesome one's - maybe?

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Nah.

At least, not until you guys visit LegoWorld 2014, just about the only Lego convention in the Netherlands (and besides that there's some boring (Dutch) AFOL conventions hosted in Germany).

Really though, why does every single GOOD Lego convention have to be in the USA? I can't ever go there! I also can't do anything in the Netherlands either because everyone at LowLug hates me by now because they admin abused me there (i swear, if i'd wear a WoutStopmotion tee (which i do not have, but surely that's easy to print) at least one person would say something mean about it).

And i'm not really buying plane tickets, convention tickets, a hotel room and all that stuff simply just to go to one convention one day. That's just crazy.

I don't think i'd help, seeing as if i'd help, i wouldn't even see any result from helping.

signature

WoutStopmotion wrote:

Really though, why does every single GOOD Lego convention have to be in the USA? I can't ever go there!

Same here.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Jampot, you're from the UK right? They actually have some conventions going on there, i believe. All we have is LegoWorld, which isn't half bad, but still..

LegoWorld in a nutshell:

• One gigantic hall of people that have their Lego collection displayed and don't even MOC at all.

• Tiny hall where the idiots from LowLug display their MOCs (aka trucks everywhere).

• A GBC hidden between the millions of Lego collection displayers.

• Brick buckets where everyone is searching for that one specific piece even though it's not in there.

• Kids. Yes, that is a problem.

• FRIENDS PROMOTION EVERYWHERE AUGHAUGHAUGUAHUAHGUAHUHUAG

• German people selling their Lego at a marketplace.

• Hotdog stands, sponsored by a minimum of 10 different Hotdog brands.

• Goodiebag = Chima polybags. Nothing but Chima polybags.

signature

*raises hand*

Australia........

Western Australia......................

About as far away from anything LEGO related.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

Western Australia......................

About as far away from anything LEGO related.

I concur.  mini/madhead

(I'm in Brisbane)

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

How about Obscured Outlooks?

OH COME ON IT'S A CULT CLASSIC

YOU'RE DISSING A CULT CLASSIC

In all seriousness, I'd really rather not. I'm already going to Brick Fiesta 2014 for Independence Day weekend, and that's in San Antonio. But, I might just order a DVD, if that helps. I guess we'll have to see... mini/wink

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

It's perfectly fine to complain about the lack of conventions in the area, but let's keep this thread on-track shall we?

Yes.

Jampot wrote:

Animation Challenge winners

That's a great idea, pulling from Animation Challenges and previous contests and stuff.
(And while my entry has copyrighted music, I'd be more than willing to replace that.)

This does sound like a great idea, though I seem to be a bit late in the conversation. I would be totally willing to order a DVD to support this.

I'm not sure if you'd consider this, but there is a possibility that I might be able to come to BrickCon, and if I do, I would definitely stop by and I could always stay and help out with the booth for a bit. Just a thought (I'm not really sure what the BrickCon rules are about this sort of thing, though).

Last time I went to BrickCon, I remember a table that someone was hosting for some custom creations they had made, mostly war-themed. But he also had a monitor up and was showing some brickfilms he had made. They weren't the best, mostly just action videos featuring BrickArms and his MOCs, but they were different enough that I found myself wanting to watch them. I definitely think this booth will be a fantastic way to promote our hobby.

For film suggestions, possibly something by Leftfieldstudios? This might be a bit long, but Henri and Edmond - Copyright is a great example of a brickfilm.

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (June 10, 2014 (07:58am))

Maybe one of the trailers for the Package 3?

Also, grabbing a selection of videos from last year's THAC competition, as that's probably what BIM is most well-known for. Mentioning such a competition could also be a possible incentive.

Last edited by Willco66 (June 10, 2014 (02:06pm))

Oh yes, I think trying to include a few winners of the animation challenges and films that stood out from THAC, BRAWL, and other BiM contests would be a great idea. Also, I somehow forgot to mention Henri and Edmond - Copyright, so I'm glad someone did.

I may be able to go to BrickCon, I'm not sure.  I've never been to any kind of con yet, but it's something I really want to do.  I'd have to fly down to Seattle (since you can't exactly drive from where I live in Alaska) and I'd be mainly going to help out with this, if that's wanted/needed.  My mom probably won't let me go if I just wanted to go to BrickCon just to go, if I had a reason for being there, like helping out with the table, I may be able to convince her to let me go.  My dad's has relatives near in Seattle, so he would probably go down with me, we'd rent a hotel room, and he can visit his relatives while I'm at the Con.

So I'm not sure whether you'd really want me to help out, I am only 16, but I'd be happy and willing to help with whatever at the BiM booth (assuming it all works out and we get one).  I could help with most of what we'd do, I imagine.  I can just watch the booth, talk to people, talk about animation software, programs, the animation itself, whatever.  I have a fairly broad knowledge on brickfilming and filmmaking in general, much much more than your average 16 year old.

I'm not sure whether you plan to do this during the public days only, or the builder portions also (I don't even know if you could do that, I don't know all the rules).  I assume I'm fine to be in one of the booths even if I'm not actually an adult, I may need to be accompanied by one; I'm not sure.  Just putting this out there that I would most likely be able to go and help out at the booth, if you like.  If you want an adult or don't consider me qualified or anything, just go ahead and say so, I'd understand.

Jonn, you underestimate yourself. mini/yes
Of course he'd be glad to have you. You may be young, but you're the target age for brickfilmers.
You've made some great stuff, and have proven your maturity and knowledge.
You'd be a great asset, and the more active members there the better.
(Wish I could go, but it's too far for me.)

If people are up for it, and timezones work out, could there be some kind of Skype Q and A with BiM members, like "Ask a Brickfilmer"? Just a thought.

@Pritchard Thank you for your kind words!  I do hope that's the view most people on here have of me, that's certainly how I try to act. 

jampot wrote:

If people are up for it, and timezones work out, could there be some kind of Skype Q and A with BiM members, like "Ask a Brickfilmer"? Just a thought.

I think that could be really cool, so long as we make sure we won't get anyone acting up or being totally immature, because that would look really bad for us. 

I see one main issue with that, and that's the signal that would be used.  On a brothers-brick article from last year they said this:

here are the Twitter users we’re aware of who are tweeting from BrickCon 2013 (when the awful data connection in the venue permits…)

So I would assume that the cell coverage must not be very good, and I don't know whether or not there's wifi or if it will be available.  I personally love the idea, provided we have a reliable way to stream the video/audio.

I have a long work day today, so I'm limited to responses I can type on my phone

@JohnD
I think they may have a policy on exhibitors under 18 needing a letter of recommendation and to be accompanied by a parent. So I'm not sure if that can work.

@jampot
I don't think a skype Q&A will work in the setting, it would be a lot of foot work.

BrickCon website wrote:

BrickCon is a Convention put on by adults and intended for adults. Persons aged 16 and 17 are allowed to register and attend provided they are accompanied by an adult, who also registers and attends.

AND

Registration Types
Teen – 16 or 17 years of age, no permission required (Parent also must register and attend).

If I understand other information on the website, to be an exhibitor you have to register as a builder. Keeping this in mind, I'm assuming the above policy means that anyone under 18 and and adult with them have to pay the $70 (or early-bird special $55) each (the builder attendance fee) and they can attend. This also grants access to the special rooms, exhibitions, presentations, competitions, etc. If I'm wrong, please correct me, but I believe this is how it works.

Here are the pages I got the above info from:
Attendance Policy
Registration Types

So Sloth, given that someone were eligible and able to register and attend the convention, would you consider their helping out at the booth?

Jonn, BrickCon is definitely a good LEGO con to start out at if you haven't been to any previously. mini/wink

It doesn't look like internet is "officially" provided at the building that the convention is going to be at, according to the Seattle Center website. So I can imagine that connection would be pretty spotty.

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (June 10, 2014 (05:07pm))

I go to brickcon every year and I think this would be a great idea! I would recommend 1 or 2 videos from the nightly news at nine if you get the creator's, David Pickett's permission.

This might be a stretch since we are introducing people to BiM, but you might as well have something about the t shirts Smeagol still has.