Topic: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!
BRAWL 2014 has ended! Click here to watch all the entries.
Starting now, you have one week to script, animate, edit, and upload a film. Any entries not received by 12:00 am (00:00) GMT on July 27, 2014 (Greenwich Mean Time) will be disqualified.
The theme for BRAWL 2014 is Development. This can be interpreted a number of ways -- it can be integrated into the story of your film, a character's personality, or in your approach to creating the film. We encourage taking creative license in your interpretation of the theme.
Development -- noun
1. the act or process of developing; growth; progress: child development; economic development.
2. a significant consequence or event: recent developments in the field of science.
3. a developed state or form: Drama reached its highest development in the plays of Shakespeare.
The Mod Elements
This year's letter mod will be the letter "K". The K does not necessarily have to take the form of an upright K, so it can be flipped, or rotated any number of degrees. It can be upper or lower case.
This year's color mod will be an Orange] LEGO piece connected to a Red] LEGO piece. The regulations are as follows:
1. The orange and red pieces must be LEGO or a similar make and must be touching, if not connected.
2. Any pieces may be used (including minifigures), so long as they are the correct colors.
[dark/light orange is acceptable as a variant for orange, the same goes for red]
• At least one of the mod elements must clearly appear in every shot of your entry.
• Adding the mod elements digitally does not count, they must actually be in the physical set.
• As you can see, there are two mod elements (color & letter), so you can use them interchangeably in your frames, but one or the other must be present.
• In title screens or opening/closing credits, the mod elements do not have to be present, unless pictures or videos are included.
“Shot” defined: Shots are the shorter elements that make up a scene. A simple way of thinking about is each time you move the camera it’s a new shot. As long as the mod element is visible in the shot for enough time to be seen before the camera moves, your project will not be disqualified. Just remember to include the MOD elements in EVERY shot!
If you're confused as to how mod elements work, watch this video.
In addition to the MOD elements, you must show the BrickWarriors Logo in your entry for at least 3 uninterrupted seconds and must be clearly visible; this is our way of thanking them for sponsoring the contest. You do NOT have to show the logo in every shot, you only have to show it once in the entire film, it also does not have to be part of your physical set and can be inserted digitally. You can find the Brick Warriors logo here.
• Entries must be animated and must be primarily composed of stop motion animation. 3D, Flash, or other animation techniques may be used to supplement the stop-motion but may not be the main focus.
• The film should contain LEGO or similar 'brick' construction toys, such as MEGA Bloks.
• There must be at least 30 seconds of animation in the entry. There is no maximum length.
• You may make up the three entries.
• You may NOT make your films public until after the deadline, any films released before the deadline will be disqualified.
• Entries may not contain adult language, racist content, graphic violence (blood and/or gore) or sexual themes.
• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of pre-existing films or franchises (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.). It's not original, and will hurt your chances in the judging process.
• Copyrighted, royalty-free, and original music pieces may all be used during BRAWL; original music pieces do not have to be made during the one week time limit.
• Entries that do not show the BrickWarriors logo for a minimum of 3 uninterrupted seconds will be disqualified.
• Time travel is not allowed, the point of BRAWL is that you only have one week to make a film.
Please send all entries to [email protected] with the title of [“Your name” BRAWL 2014 Entry] by 12:00 am (00:00) GMT on July 27, 2014 (Greenwich Mean Time) with a link to your video. Any entries sent after this time will be disqualified
Entries must be uploaded to one of these websites…
1. YouTube, upload your video unlisted.
2. Vimeo, upload your video with password protection, please make sure to send me the password and not just the video link.
If you did a collaboration, include the names (username or otherwise) of everybody who helped you out with your film, in your email.
You are welcome to make your films public AFTER the deadline, but before then, keep your video private. You'll be disqualified for releasing your entry before the deadline.
A film's overall score will be out of 100. Each category is worth a different amount of points.
• Theme Interpretation 40/100
• Presentation/Technical Aspects 30/100 (Animation, Lighting, Sound, Editing, & etc.)
• Story 20/100
• Creativity 10/100
The judges will rate how well you did in each individual category. Each category will then be averaged among the three judges. After that, all of your average category scores will be added together to give you an x/100 score. For example:
My Head Studios: BRAWLING DURING BRAWL (If I actually see a single film titled this…)
Judge 1 Judge 2 Judge 3 Average
Theme 19/40 Theme 25/40 Theme 20/40 21.3 / 40
Presentation 15/30 Presentation 20/30 Presentation 17/30 17.3 / 30
Story 3/20 Story 8/20 Story 5/20 5.3 / 20
Creativity 8/10 Creativity 9/10 Creativity 9/10 8.7 / 10
Final Score 52.6 / 100
Your judges are Squash, Hazzat, and myself.
Prizes are generously provided by:
The 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place entries will each receive a $25 gift card to the Brick Warriors store.
You can check out Brick Warriors at http://www.brickwarriors.com/. Remember to include the BrickWarriors logo in your entry, details in the "MOD APPLICATION" section of this thread.
If there is a "+" next to your name, your entry was received without any issues. If you have a "–" there is a problem with your film, the problem will be indicated next to your name.
+ Mustache Maniacs
+ Pushover Productions
+ Gilbert Studios
+ Max Butcher
+ Prestigious Pie Productions
+ Annoying Noises Productions
+ Sir-glub and JaykoFilms
+ Stefan Muscat
+ Pritchard Studios
+ End Films
+ KB Videos/Kieren Barnett
+ That's Fine Studios
+ The Login Productions
+ Brickelodeon 2nd entry
+ Binding Brick
+ Annoying Noises Productions 2nd entry
+ Nathan Wells
+ Mighty Wanderer
+ Talipoli Studios
- Chalksters55 | Submitted late.
Updates, Support, & Other
If you have any questions, there are several places you can reach me.
1. This thread (may take time for a response)
2. The BiM Mibbit Chat Room
If you want to post progress about your film on BiM, that's fine! Just don't post updates in this thread, instead, post them in this thread.
Need various BRAWL 2014 banners for your film? Get them here.
Use the hashtag #BRAWL2014 on twitter! Let's get trending!
Last edited by Fun Sucker (July 26, 2014 (10:40pm))