Topic: Starwars smuggler script

So on downtime from my current project I've been working on a Starwars script that I may or may not make (if I did I would start sometime in 2015)

I made a preliminary outline a while back and recently cut about 3 minuets of the film out and added roughly a minuet's worth of content.

The name of the main character is tentatively listed as Sara R. but that will most likely change and none of the secondary characters have names, there is a hutt and some humanoid type alien both whom are (probably) male and another alien of unspecified gender.

The film takes place in the outer rim but it's been a while (like 10 years a while) since I've really read much extended universe stuff so I haven't settled on any planets or systems yet. I would say the timeline takes place 2-10 years before 'A New Hope'. So if you have any insight that I am missing/messing up please fill me in.

This is the latest draft while this was the initial draft. (warning some naughty words that will probably be replaced by Huttese expletives are in these docs)

If you want to give me any feedback you should read the latest draft first and see if it makes scene, and if you are confused give the earlier draft a shot to see if I cut out to much content.

As with anything ideas I post publicly before making them you are welcome to steal from them or base things off them, I don't care, but if you really wanted to shoot some iteration of this exact script I would be interested in a collaboration, but this is still in a very early state.

Re: Starwars smuggler script

Interesting read.

As far as scripts go, I like it.  Interesting story, some plot twists.  The script is a bit hard to read in places.  That's a combination of it being draft + your writing style but its still understandable.  Better things to do than labour over grammar in a script designed for yourself.  mini/smile

I think the story is ambitious for a brick film.  Having said that, I haven't seen any of your current previous work so perhaps its entirely reasonable.  I know I simply don't have the bricks to make a film of this type but I sense that won't be a challenge for yourself.

Thanks for sharing.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Thanks togfox, let me know if you think if any parts in particular were confusing, although without having written the dialog some of the 'conversations' are a bit weird to read as well as a few glaring typos I saw when I glanced over it again. (I have had voice acting sessions where the voice acter looked at his lines and told me I spelled something wrong and I looked right back at them and ask if the viewers were going to be reading along with the script)

A non-Jedi 'hive of scum and villainy' type Brickfilm is something I've wanted to see (an thus make) for a while, if anyone has any insight on the extended universe stuff I glossed over I would really appreciate it.

I do realize this film is insanely ambitious, however there is not a shot in the film that I think is beyond me, one of the reasons I don't have much interest in making live action films is because I could never afford to make a live action film like this (that might be a lie, but it would still cost way more and look way worse) so filming in LEGO lets me create stories which would otherwise be almost impossible for me to make.

If I do make this I can't just fudge the pre-production, it will have to be fully story-boarded, and I am going to have to work everything out in far greater detail then I usually do, it will push me a lot as a film maker, but I like to be pushed, if every movie I wanted to make sounded easy to me I would probably give up on film making.

SlothPaladin wrote:

... If I do make this I can't just fudge the pre-production, it will have to be fully story-boarded, and I am going to have to work everything out in far greater detail then I usually do...

This is good to hear.  I flat out asked you some time ago if you did this for your current intergalactic project and you admitted you did not.  I didn't comment at the time but if you scroll back through your old posts you'll see a lot of time wasting due to not having a plan.  You confessed to many reshoots.  But hey - I'm not claiming you didn't have fun doing that! Not dissing they way you do your hobby.  mini/sunnies

There were some bits about streets and climbing out of windows and things like that which were clear to you at the time but not to a new reader.  Like - spaceships with windows you can climb out?  Not saying can't be done, but your script has very little detail on the setting - or sets.  After reading on further I deduced that the spaceship was flying along some sort of city-scape "flight lane", which makes perfect sense if you've seen any futuristic movie (including star wars), but that wasn't described at all in the script.  Describing the "street" with traffic moving in all directions in a form of organised chaos makes it clear the reader is about to witness a "car" chase ending in an unexpected collision for the bad guys.  mini/smile  Small things like this will help you crystalise your vision later on.

Anyway - I'm waffling.  I get the script is for you and if it makes sense to you then its all good.  If you want to invest a little more in pre-planning and go collaborative then I'd put more into providing context and scene setting.  mini/smile

If you wish to email me the celtx then I can touch it up for you.  If you don't like it - just delete it.  mini/smile  I dig that nothing will come of it this year, or even ever, but I'm happy to sink an hour of my boss's work time into this without him knowing.  mini/wink

Email -removed-.  (<--  Will spy bots detect that and spam it?  mini/confused )

Aka Fox

Yeah, I don't always get back to all comments in all threads, I've learned a lot from my current project, and it has been far from trouble free.

I feel like describing action sequences with words is not very useful, although if I was having other people build sets and props it would be more important, things like the 'spaceship' that you can climb in and out of windows, image something like a hard topped land speeder with a flatbed cargo area. I imagine the chase scene taking place like some of the Coruscant chase scenes that took place in Episode II or III (can't remember I only watched each of those once or twice) although a bit more like a car chase scene because it's easier.

I'll send it to you later tonight, maybe with a few extra sticky notes to clear things up. Just realize there is no guarantee I'm going to make this (even if it currently looks like my most likely next project) I'm going to remove your email just in case from the post, I can check your email via super special big brother powers.

Email received, edited and sent back.  mini/smile

Perhaps one day it will become something real.  mini/sunnies  In the meantime, you should have a few things to think over.

Aka Fox

The dialogue is supposed to be the EXACT words spoken.  Everything began with the word "Says", and I thought the character was saying "says".  Here's an example as it appears followed by the characters' exact words:

SARA R.

-talking to her ship ask’s it to
hang in there-
cargo ship takes hits from fighters

INT. COCKPIT OF SARA’S SPACESHIP

SARA R.
(talking to her self)
-says she doesn’t think she will
make it-

HUMANOID
(over comm)
-says it looks like Sara could use
a hand-

Now, the characteres' exact wording:

SARA R.
-(To ship) hang in there!

cargo ship takes hits from fighters

INT. COCKPIT OF SARA’S SPACESHIP

SARA R.
(to herself) I don't think.. I'm gonna make it...

HUMANOID (v.o., over comm)
It looks like you can use a hand.

Hope you have a great film!

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (July 31, 2014 (01:50pm))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

this is the script outline, I'm not really worried about wording while I'm still adding and removing parts of the story, that way I can focus on flow without getting attached to some dialog for a scene I might just remove. This is the first time I've started writing a story without the dialog and the whole proses was very freeing

Okay.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."