Re: Bricks in Motion: The Documentary

Just spent all afternoon being grilled by Sméagol.  This is going to be a cool movie, you guys.  Give these people your money so they can make it happen.

RevMen wrote:

Just spent all afternoon being grilled by Sméagol.  This is going to be a cool movie, you guys.  Give these people your money so they can make it happen.

This makes me wonder, with Smeagol doing all of these interviews before hand, what will happen in the (I hope unlikely) event of it being underfunded?

He did my interview early because his crew lives close and because I'm moving soon.

RevMen wrote:

Just spent all afternoon being grilled by Sméagol.

mini/sweat
*gulp*

On a side note, do your best to spread the word about the documentary guys.
Tell your friends, neighbors, relatives, announce it on your Youtube channel, etc.
Every little bit helps.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

When we did "we are the brickfilmers", there was a video promoting it that anyone could upload to promote the project.  We should do that.

This is a quick, possibly stupid question, but will you use the name of the kickstarter account that donated as the name that goes in the credits or will you accept other names? I donate to kickstarters (only one so far, and I didn't get the tier to get my name in the credits) using my dad's credit card and I'm not sure how the system works.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sonjira wrote:

This is a quick, possibly stupid question, but will you use the name of the kickstarter account that donated as the name that goes in the credits or will you accept other names? I donate to kickstarters (only one so far, and I didn't get the tier to get my name in the credits) using my dad's credit card and I'm not sure how the system works.

I also have this question.

After the Kickstarter campaign is concluded, we will send out a survey to all backers that will ask, among other things, how you want to be credited in the credits. This is where you'll get to clarify your name.

END films wrote:
RevMen wrote:

This makes me wonder, with Smeagol doing all of these interviews before hand, what will happen in the (I hope unlikely) event of it being underfunded?

RevMen already explained, but let me expand further: Philip/Smeagol has already planned out the entire production (filming the interviews) schedule, which begins mid-October and will continue for an entire month. Philip will travel across North America with his crew conducting interviews while I handle the Kickstarter. I'll be answering questions and preparing the backer rewards, especially the The Builder pledge level. Once production has wrapped in mid-November, the long editing process will begin, and Philip, Zach and I will work together to create our animation that is a part of the documentary. Also, Doug will continue to work on the DVD, and we plan to get out all Kickstarter backer rewards by December of 2014 (excluding the actual documentary and a few other special rewards not yet revealed).

I'm still going through this thread so I apologize if I've missed any questions. I might have to commit forum faux pas and double post a few times as I respond to questions.

Answering more questions:

Mickey wrote:

Are you planning on marketing this? YouTube, festivals, video rental shops?

Philip/Smeagol definitely plans to push this documentary to plenty of film festivals after it is completed. We also plan to release the documentary for sale on online distribution platforms such as iTunes. However, many film festivals will not accept films that are publicly available, so we probably won't be able to release this documentary to the public for several years. This means that backing the Kickstarter campaign is the only way to watch this documentary if you want to watch it as soon as it's complete!

Sonjira wrote:

Yes, glad to know about the tiers early to plan ahead on expenses! I'm actually considering going for the $100 tier, but I'm wondering, does that reward include the perk of the "Animator" tier? It's definitely not a deal breaker, by any means, it would just make me even more set to contribute if it was.

The Cameo $100 pledge level does not include The Animator rewards, and Kickstarter does not allow you to select multiple pledge levels. However, if you do want the rewards from the $100 pledge level and The Animator level, select the Animator $20 pledge level when pledging and then add another $100. Send us an email at [email protected] and we'll sort it out.

Keep the questions coming!

I chat we were discussing ways to promote the kickstrter. We need to focus campaigns on both Brickfilmers and AFOLs by contacting sites like Brickset, asking any Brickcon attenders to spread the word (it falls on the last days of the campaign), and posting on flickr.

Good idea with Brickcon, I hadn't considered promoting to LEGO conventions. Anyone here going to Brickcon or any other LEGO conventions soon?

I'm already making a list of LEGO fan websites that I would like to contact when the campaign goes live. Currently the sites include:

Brothers-Brick.com (contact: Nathan)
Classic-Castle.com (contact: Nathan)
Classic-Pirates.com (contact: Doug)
Eurobricks.com
Brickanimation.com (The Set Bump)
Reddit.com (r/AFOL and r/lego)
Brickset.com
Brickboard.de (German-language brickfilming site)
Brick-A-Brack.com (French-language brickfilming site)
Brickfilmersguild.com
Bricknerd.com

Please let me know if you know of any other sites that should be included. It definitely will be a busy day for me when the Kickstarter goes live!

Nathan Wells wrote:

I am really interested on this project, and as administrator on Brick à Brack I'll share the Kickstarter campaign as soon as it's launched!

Nathan Wells wrote:

Good idea with Brickcon, I hadn't considered promoting to LEGO conventions. Anyone here going to Brickcon or any other LEGO conventions soon?

I'm already making a list of LEGO fan websites that I would like to contact when the campaign goes live. Currently the sites include:

Brothers-Brick.com (contact: Nathan)
Classic-Castle.com (contact: Nathan)
Classic-Pirates.com (contact: Doug)
Eurobricks.com
Brickanimation.com (The Set Bump)
Reddit.com (r/AFOL and r/lego)
Brickset.com
Brickboard.de (German-language brickfilming site)
Brickfilmersguild.com
Bricknerd.com

Please let me know if you know of any other sites that should be included. It definitely will be a busy day for me when the Kickstarter goes live!

Most of my lug says the main fan site they go on is brothers-brick.com
I will post about it on flickr and the appropriate groups on there.

The link to the BiM documentary ad is now in my profile on StripGenerator...link
Those of you who have StripGenerator accounts, we now have permission to advertise in your profile.

I'll also put a link to the BiM doc on my YouTube page shortly.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Sonjira wrote:

We'll contact everyone to ask how they want to be credited. Any name you want, basically, as long as it's not something profane that you totally just made up.

funmiproductions wrote:

When we did "we are the brickfilmers", there was a video promoting it that anyone could upload to promote the project.  We should do that.

I like this idea, I hadn't thought of it. We shall take it under advisement!

RevMen wrote:

mini/cat Thank you for the kind words and for giving your time and insight for the interview. I'm very pleased with the results, and this interview made me only more excited for the potential of the documentary.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

If the doc was on indiegogo, an up & coming site for films, I'll be able to donate.  I've donated there before.  Otherwise, I can donate directly w/ an int'l money order.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

How much money are you trying to raise?

Our Kickstarter goal will be $10,000. If we raise more, there are definitely ways we can put this toward expanding the scope of the documentary.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

There are a lot of grants available like:
http://www.documentary.org/community/resources/grants

Is there a reason you do not want to approach foundations for seed funding? I know filmmakers who don't like them because they want total autonomy and ownership without compromising the integrity of their work.

I am also asking because I am trying to understand American-based funding associations. I live in a Commonwealth country so it is a lot easier for us to access Commonwealth based funds. But I don't have a clear understanding of how North American funders operate and what their objectives are.

Still loading....

I was looking at the currently most successful brickfilm related kickstrter so far, "Little Guys In Space". A lot of money came from unique high tiered physical prizes. This type of thing was also helpful for the "Beyond the Brick Brickworld Chicago dvd" project. It seams to appeal to afols well.