Topic: Proposal: New "Getting Started" Forum Category

I've had this idea floating in my head for a little over a year now, I figured I would just put it to words to see what everyone thinks.

Something that has bothered me for a while is the fact that the "A Beginner's Guide to Bricks In Motion" and "Introduce Yourselves" topics are in the general film discussion forum. They just awkwardly sit there, with no real place to be.

Another thing that bothers me is the length of the Beginners Guide to BiM. I, as a highly sophisticated person (that was a joke), did read the whole document when I first joined the website. However, I imagine a majority of members do not read the document, or just glance over it. This is shown by the amount of "how do I post an image" or "how do I change my avatar" threads in the "Updates and Feedback" forum.

I've also noticed the lack of a general guide on how to get started brickfilming. Sure, you can find a couple of guides in the "resources" tab, but let's be honest. Who uses that?

What is my point in all of this? Well, right now we have three forum categories: "Filmmaking", "Community", and "Website." But, what if there was a new, fourth forum category "Getting Started." In this Getting Started forum category, there would be two forums, "A Beginners Guide to Bricks in Motion" and "A Beginners Guide to Brickfilming."

First, the "A Beginners Guide to Bricks in Motion" forum would have sticky threads on how to use the website, topics like these:

Welcome to Bricks in Motion/Introduce Yourself! (general welcome thread)
Guide to the Film Directory (how to submit films)
Guide to General Posting (how to quote, bold, post images & ect.)
How to Change Your Avatar and Signature (simple, but needed)
Guide to the Chat room (how to use mibbit)

If you didn't catch on, all I'm doing is breaking down the Beginner's Guide into smaller, more readable chunks.

Second, the "A Beginners Guide to Brickfilming" forum would consist of one sticky topic:

How to Start Brickfilming (for someone who has no idea where to get started)

The Getting Started Category would be at the top of the page, front and center. This way, new members don't have to scroll down to the bottom to see how to get started.

Just an idea.

Last edited by Fun Sucker (September 22, 2014 (10:22pm))

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: Proposal: New "Getting Started" Forum Category

I don't want to create another category because for people who aren't new users it would bog down the front page with a lot of extra space, plus there's a certain symmetry to the color palette and categories as they exist.

I like the rest of this idea, though. I think it could be done as a single forum containing several locked threads on various topics, added to one of the three current categories, and I'm not sure which category would make the most sense. Perhaps the very top, above contests and festivals. I agree the guide is probably too long to get new users to actually read it.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I think this is a good idea. It will allow us to guide new members to an entire forum dedicated to their needs, instead of an overly long post in a not-quite-fitting forum. And breaking down specific topics into individual posts will help new users find an answer to their question.

I think it's a good idea. I never really read the guide though, I just kinda found out how to use the sit on my own, without guidance, which worked fine.

In the interest of this being legitimately a good idea, but not one I have any time to thoroughly oversee myself right now: is there anybody who is qualified to write these introductory articles and interested in undertaking the task?

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

In the interest of this being legitimately a good idea, but not one I have any time to thoroughly oversee myself right now: is there anybody who is qualified to write these introductory articles and interested in undertaking the task?

Possibly, but I'd assume not just by myself.

I may be able to find the time to help.
Not that I can write worth anything...