Topic: BIRDFaCE Origins

Directory Link

BIRDFaCE Origins

YouTube

BIRDFaCE is captured by his longtime rival, Thief, and is being forced to spill the Gluten-Free Beans of his past life! What adventures will we see? What secrets will be revealed? Who will live? Who will die? Find out!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Re: BIRDFaCE Origins

i love it so much, i dont really have any criticisms mostly because i was entertained and enjoyed myself the entire time and forgot to take any notes about what i didnt like

good job on making a 14 minute film!!! pretty cool

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Thanks, JK! Glad you liked it! I honestly have no clue how it ended up being 14 minutes, it just kindof materialized into that after me pouring over the script for forever.

Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I love it. I love it I love it I love it. And I like to think I'm not just saying that because I voice acted in it.

It really was superb, cinematography was on point, animation had life and character to it, but what stood out for me was just how solid the writing was. This really does have some of the wittiest writing to grace a brickfilm, I actually laughed out loud at

Spoiler (click to read)

'I prefer Liberal Artist'

and some others too.

Keep it up, I really mean that please keep up this quality of humour and overall charm, it made for one of the most fun brickfilms I've watched in a while.

Spoiler (click to read)

Also I just got an Orson Wells book for Christmas and I'm not sure if I should be concerned now.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

My Christmas couldn't have gotten better. Thank you Sonjira,
Thank you...
:*

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

I didn't like the film at all. Watching it was like being in purgatory. The jokes were not funny. They seemed just to be a bunch of inbreed jokes from the skype group. I felt this film was just too long. It's strange I have really liked some of your films in the past but this was just a drag. Shots seemed not thought out and several shots were technically not done well.

Last edited by AquaMorph (December 25, 2014 (06:22pm))

Well, I hate being the first to rain on a parade, but I really didn't enjoy this film a whole lot.

I don't really know why I was watching this film, or rather why I kept watching. I started because someone on chat implied I should watch it. The story wasn't engaging, the jokes fell flat 99% of the time, and the technical aspects were okay, but nothing really special.

I know you put a lot of effort into this. It's a 14-minute film, something I can't claim to have accomplished. But give me a reason to watch a 14-minute film. I'd also be interested to know why you wanted to do this film; what got you to finish 14 minutes of animation? I don't say that to be mean; it just helps me understand better what you were shooting for with this film.

EDIT: AquaMorph saved me from being the first to rain on this parade.

Last edited by Littlebrick (December 25, 2014 (06:40pm))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Thank you all for your comments, I really do appreciate any and all critique. As you can all probably see, this long of a film is new territory for me, so I definitely expected there to be kinks in it. I don't know how much I can do about people not finding jokes funny, but I can really do want to improve on the other aspects as well. I'm hoping to, in the future, give myself more time to really experiment with more complex shots and getting my script to be as tight as possible. Probably giving more time to re-writes would help.

jstudios wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

Also I just got an Orson Wells book for Christmas and I'm not sure if I should be concerned now.

I dunno, ask ya pal BF what he thinks mini/smile

Noooo! I got eaten by pigs!

After watching this, I asked myself: "If I wasn't in this, and thus wasn't fellating my enormous ego, would I have still watched it?" For me, the answer is yes.

Perhaps its because, since I'm in the middle of Lord of the Thing, I know how difficult it is to write a 14 min film and have every joke work. A Brickfilm of this length must always be compared to a TV show, or something much more proffessional than a Brickfilm - and of course the Brickfilm won't hold up because it's made by just one guy in his bedroom/basement/attic/box-room/vestibule of some sort. Professional's nearly always have a whole team behind them, chipping in, pointing out what's funny and what isn't. (Which is why it pains me that no-one working on Family Guy has ever turned round and said "hey - your jokes are alright, but your timing and pace is AWFUL!") But, I thought the film hit more than it missed - enough for me to keep watching at least.

Perhaps this is all just because I'm in general quite immature, and so laughed at the neat asides such as: "It suits my curves" and "GIANT SPIDER." I also liked the general concept of this great revolution, drug-dealing, and eldrich horrors summoned from another dimension ("...and maybe some monsters as well") all whilst happening inside a school. I love a wacky, original concept, and this certainly is one. Plus, as a guy very familiar with Orwell's work, I'm very familiar with people completely misunderstanding him/failing to see his irony - so I got a large chuckle from that aspect.

Also, I agree that the animation has a great life to it. Even if the joke fell flat, the animation behind it had flair.

And I'm speaking as a guy who's too socially awkward for Skype. I'm a complete outsider, and I enjoyed this. Though, I am the guy who years ago made Mr Socially Impaired.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I love love love this. I'll admit I got a bit lost about two-thirds of the way in and stuff was getting too random for me to keep up, but I rolled with it anyway and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The character animation here is the highlight, with every movement bouncy and fun to watch.

The framing bugged me a little at times with the characters just a little too low in certain shots, but that's all I can say that's negative. Great work.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Max Butcher wrote:

Perhaps this is all just because I'm in general quite immature, and so laughed at the neat asides such as: "It suits my curves" and "GIANT SPIDER."

hehe

Thanks for the comments everybody. I honestly didn't think people would like the character animation as much as they do, but I'm glad that they do. As for the framing, that is something I hope to correct in the future through trial-and-error. I tried being a lot more cinematic with this film than I have before, both with some of the shot composition and using the camera dolly that ENDFilms created a little while ago. It's something that I felt was lacking in my previous films that I hoped to bring more/better of in this and in future films.

I really enjoyed it. Some great moments that were extremely clever and fun, and there were multiple instances where I was in tears. It does start to derail towards the end, but even then, those scenes were still enjoyable.

And for anyone wondering (for the record), I don't believe any of the jokes were specifically from the Skype group. They may have been the style of humor we enjoy, but that's not to say we are the only ones who could enjoy it.

I was excited when I saw that you had released a 14-minute film. I have enjoyed other films of yours and found them funny other than the odd dud joke, so I hate to say that I did not laugh watching this. The jokes seemed to all be trying too hard to be random or weird and often came across as obnoxious. The part with the kid who kept saying "for the record" was painful and I didn't like the random noises and words, such as "milk". I know humour is subjective and all that but a wider variety in the style of humour could keep more people interested as this really feels like it was made with only a very small and specific group of people in mind.

I do have to commend you on making a film of this length and I was impressed by a lot of the dialogue animation, which was fluid and well timed. However, I was often distracted by poor framing and out-of-focus shots. The camera also often changed to a shot which was almost in the exact same place as the last one, which was jarring.

I personally really enjoyed this. Though there were some jokes that didn't quite hit home for me, the whole film meshed together into something I really appreciated. You also had the persistence to finish a 14 minute film, which to me, is impressive. I barely have the motivation to take even one frame at times. Anyways, great job! Keep it up.

-Grant

This was really great and I'm glad to have been in it.  Jon's character was my favourite part of the whole thing, something about him seemed really enjoyable and hilarious and there are dandy little jokes all throughout.

Keep up the good work!

I'll admit I laughed a lot at this. Even at the really random stuff. If anyone is hesitant to watch this because of some people finding it unfunny, I beg them, please don't turn away from this topic. Try it out first to decide if you like it.

With that said I do agree with some people saying there's too many random jokes in this. Yes I just said I laughed at them, but I still felt that some of them were used to cheap effect (The "milk" and "for the record" ones in particular) and as an artist I know you're capable of much smarter material. I love your sense of humor and I think it will one day blossom into something very creative and unique.

Another suggestion I have is to work on your framing and cinematography. Don't worry about doing a lot of complex shots or fancy panning, just focus on mastering the basics. Here's a link discussing some of the more basic elements of composition. If you're interested scour the web for more info on the idea of composition. It's fascinating stuff really.

Overall this is still a really fun brickfilm for me. I will likely re-watch it multiple times as I anticipate your next film.

Last edited by Walter Benson (December 27, 2014 (08:04pm))

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png