Topic: Editing in Da Vinci Resolve 11 (Free, professional editing software!)

Blackmagic, developer of one of the top color grading programs, Da Vinci Resolve, released a new version a few months ago that has a built in video editor which is said to rival other professional editing programs like Adobe Premiere. It's free to use without any limitations that would be meaningful to most brickfilmers (the free version doesn't support 3D, stereoscopic imagery, among other bells and whistles) and I wondered if anyone has tried it?

Unlike Lightworks, which has a rather unconventional and intimidating interface, this is a free option that looks very comparable to Adobe Premiere and Final Cut 7. I feel like it could be a great option for people looking to use something a little more professional and robust than Vegas and other consumer-level editing programs.

Introductory video for editing in Resolve

Blackmagic website's page for the software, where you can download the program. (You'll want "Lite," which is the free version.)

http://videoandfilmmaker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/DaVinciResolve11lr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Editing in Da Vinci Resolve 11 (Free, professional editing software!)

On the subject of Blackmagic, what do you think about Fusion 7?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

It looks like good software. I'm so used to After Effects, though. Similarly, I don't have a lot of motivation to switch to Resolve from Premiere right now, but I thought there are some people on BiM who might be interested.

Hmm, might try it.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I downloaded Fusion 7 when I found out about it.  I also got HitFilm 2 Express for free as a promotion in February but haven't used it at all, excepting a rather basic masking test to see if I could use it to fix set bumps (which worked well, I'm pleased to say--I'll certainly be implementing it in the future).  I'm not familiar with either program so I'd be curious to know the advantages/disadvantages for both programs, and whether I should use one over the other.  From what I can tell so far, the main difference appears to be the interface, but I'm not really familiar with compositing/editing programs generally so I probably wouldn't know all too much.

Is Resolve purely editing and colour-grading, or does it do compositing as well, and/or does it tie in with Fusion?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

This is really exciting, since my editing software is pretty bad. However I'm pretty sure my laptop would struggle to run such a robust program. I have HitFilm 2 Express, but I couldn't find a way to import still frames to create an animation, which makes it pretty useless for me since at the moment I don't use capture software.

This looks like a really neat program! I really just need to pick an editing program and learn it, instead of procrastinating forever. mini/lol

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

-What about editing problematic things such as light flicker?
-Is there limited audio track capability?
-[4:34-4:45] Split screen effect?
-Is it pretty simple to use?

I'll think of more questions later on. This is just off the top of my head.
After what happened with THAC, I'm sooo ready for better editing software.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Tried to run this, got an error message about not having the required OpenCL GPU card (whatever that is), then it ended my computer... back to WMM mini/blankexpression

OpenGL is hardware accelerated video processing software. It is definitely going to be a limitation for people that don't have fairly powerful computers.

I've been using Resolve a bit recently (did a bit of colour correcting for Paint.) and I thought I'd post some quick impressions on how it is for editing animation.

First off, Resolve is an extraordinarily powerful piece of software and the fact that it's available almost fully featured for free is amazing. This also means that, as pointed out earlier, it won't run smoothly unless you have a relatively powerful PC. I'm using a mid-range laptop (this fella) and I have no hope of being able to smoothy preview my film. I used Davinci to finalise my film, but had to use premiere elements (which I do not recommend) to check the animation was smooth and create the soundtrack prior to using Resolve. It's not a perfect workflow, but it'll do until I can upgrade my desktop. One of the most important specs is the graphics card, you need a graphics card and it has to have CUDA support (you should be able to find out whether it does on the manufacturers site). When I started using it I encountered a couple of errors, including one saying "No OpenCL Acceleration Hardware Detected". If you do encounter that but theoretically have the specs, this method might solve your problem (also make sure all your drivers are fully updated).

If you do have a system capable of running Resolve, then you're in luck, you now have access to a professional editing and colour grading suite. As you'd then expect, it's a bit daunting at first. A good overview to how to use the software can be found here to give you an idea of what you're doing. A neat thing for animators is that if you have a series of images in a folder (say IMG_177 - IMG_485), Resolve will assume that it's an animated sequence and so import it as a single media file with the frame rate of your project. This would be especially useful if you're exporting raw frames from something like DragonFrame (I wouldn't know though as I don't have it), this may actually be a standard feature in NLEs, but this is the first time I've encountered this.

The edit mode will be pretty familiar to anyone who's used Vegas or the like and it's relatively intuitive. In answer to Dewfilms query, I believe you can have unlimited audio and video tracks.

The colour mode is what makes Resolve stand out from the any other editor freely available as this is what it is really for. If you have any interest in colour correction or grading, give Resolve a try. The system is based upon 'nodes', which are basically adjustment layers, but with more possibilities. I have to admit though, I really don't know much about colour correction/grading and I've only used it for simple things so far, but there's no better way of learning than trying for yourself. One thing to keep in mind while in this mode is that Resolve is designed to be used with multiple monitors, especially when using scopes (scopes are useful). This mode can also be used for chroma keying and a whole load of other things. I'm not sure if there's a particularly easy way to remove light flicker in Resolve, but you can use keyframes in a node to adjust specific frames.

Resolve is also reasonably good for exporting projects in a variety of formats (including Digital Cinema Package if you're looking to screen something at a festival) and is quicker at rendering than most other things I've used.

As I say, I've barely scratched the surface of what Resolve can do, but if you can run it, give it a go. I hope some of this has been useful, feel free to ask me any questions.

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know if you can import frames into this program?

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I tried this awhile ago, and it crashes seconds after start. Like Smeagol said, I'm sure it has to do with my computer specs, even though I have 8 gigs of ram which I would think would be able support it at minimum, but oh well.