Topic: [THAC XII] Turning

Directory Link

Turning

Youtube

Lo and behold, mine and Andy Stein's entry for THAC XII!

We wanted to really push ourselves this year (because making a Brickfilm in under 24 hours isn't pushing it at all, obviously). I was pleased to experiment with some macro filters to get some nice close up shots, as well as using LEDs for on-set lighting.

Whilst the pacing could have been better (gimme a break, I edited this thing in under an hour) I think this year's entry resulted in some really nice visuals.

See you all next year!

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Re: [THAC XII] Turning

Wow. Neat concept! The lighting and animation was great. The song and narration were good as well. Really, the only critique was light flicker towards the beginning, but this is a great film in 24 hours!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Wow, that was good. The poetry was nice, did you write all that? The entire film was very impressive for being made in 24 hours. The cinematography, lighting, and voice acting were great too. Keep up the good work!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

That was pretty simple, but it went a long way. I have to say this is a very interesting take on the theme, and you executed it pretty well for the time crunch. The fire was really great, I'm sure you're loving those LEDs. mini/bigsmile

I liked it a lot, obviously the song was impressive, but I really liked the lighting, and the was really something special.
Although, I thought the effects on the flames in some shots felt off to me.  Perhaps because they weren't in every shot in the film.  I think it might have looked slightly better without any at all, but that's only a minor detail.
One of my more favoured entries.

The poem was written by Andy, with some minor direction from me. The overall idea comes from both of us.

I agree that the fire effects that was there on some shots is a bit odd. The reason is, the shots that have it are some shots I edited earlier on. As time went on in the contest, I didn't have time to give the same treatment so any shots that have the fire. Mostly I would have loved to have had time to do some proper grading and minor effects (like some mist) in the morning scenes.

This is so original and well done!  I personally did not notice any flaws.  I was completely engaged in the poem and the lighting of the film.  The mood you created was very effective and emotional.  It shows that you don't need lots of animation to tell a really good story.

I have now added captions to the video, so if any of the lyrics weren't perfectly clear, you can switch 'em on and have a read! They've also been added to the description.

I really like this entry.  It's definitely a different take on the theme; probably one of the most original to come from this THAC.  The poem is well-written and performed, and I like each of the minifigs falling over and getting up again in the morning.  The "shaky" animation of the guy playing the guitar was well done and I like the lighting.  I feel like you should have animated the fire a bit, though, even just wiggling the flames a bit every frame.  It just looks odd to me that the flames are completely frozen in place.

Spoiler (click to read)

Where did you get the zombie heads for the minifigs?  I'm sure they're custom/non-LEGO, but I'm curious to know where you got them from as they don't look like typical zombie heads.

Excellent entry.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Fair point about the static fire. What happened was that the wiring for the LEDs lighting the campfire was a bit ad-hoc, and I was actually concerned that wiggling the flames each frame might risk the lights coming loose, which would have been detrimental to happen mid-shot. I had planned to add in some nice animated fire effets in post, but as is often the case with THAC, I didn't have time.

Spoiler (click to read)

The zombie heads are some I commissioned years and years ago with the intention of making a full blown zombie film. This never came to pass, so now I have 60 or so custom zombie heads with various expressions laying around. This THAC I finally found a use for them.

I really enjoyed this entry as well.  While there may have been very little animation (I'm one to talk though mini/tongue), the music and the poem were both stellar and totally pulled me in to the atmosphere of the film.  I always enjoy your music, and this one is definitely one of your best yet.  Now I just need to figure out a way to get this song out of my head...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

BuilderBrothers wrote:

I always enjoy your music, and this one is definitely one of your best yet.

Quick reminder that the music isn't mine, just to give credit where it's due. For the last three THACs now I've worked with my friend Andy Stein who writes and performs the songs (with a little direction from me). The catchy tunes are his!

Sean wrote:
BuilderBrothers wrote:

I always enjoy your music, and this one is definitely one of your best yet.

Quite reminder that the music isn't mine, just to give credit where it's due. For the last three THACs now I've worked with my friend Andy Stein who writes and performs the songs (with a little direction from me). The catchy tunes are his!

I am aware, I just associate the music with your work. After all, without your animation we wouldn't get to hear his work, now would we? mini/wink

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

Well actually...

I saw the No Crawme poster during THAC so I was convinced you were making another parody. Needless to say I was in for a surprise. I was actually waiting for a No Crawme twist haha

Anyway I really dig your alternative narrative approach, I have no idea how you put these musicals together in 24 hours but they're stylistically unique. I would have liked to see the fire animated but time constraints abound! Still an enjoyable brickfilm, nice work!

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

I was very tempted to do another Crawme, especially something very self aware, for example making fun of the fact that Crawme is the dead horse that keeps being beaten.

In the end though, the theme "A New Start" really called for such a thing, and so I endeavoured to do something completely different.

Lovely music, and simple, but effective filmmaking. I liked it...

But where's No Crawme III!?

mini/smile

Pretty pictures, as the others have stated, and I thought the grim feel of the music and visuals cohered well. The shots in this are some of the most visually striking of the contest, I think.

Would have been nice to see more animation, the flames look soooo good but they don't work for me in video without animation.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png