Topic: Doctor Strange: Path to Greatness

Directory Link

Doctor Strange: Path to Greatness

YouTube

Arrogant surgeon to Sorcerer Supreme...join us on a journey through Doctor Strange's early years in this latest chapter of the Marvel Brickfilm Universe!

If you've been following my Flickr you've probably seen some of the frames from this every now and then from November (admittedly, I did the Ultron scene then, and most of the rest of it in the last two weeks). I meant to do a little bit in-between projects on-and-off, but I moved some projects around and decided to just power through and get it done. At some point I'll do another chapter in Doctor Strange's story (the interior of the Sanctum Sanctorum is still built up) but not quite yet.

I'm also proud to announce that the MBU now has a wiki! It's still under construction, and I haven't made it public anywhere but here on BiM yet, but I have to say I'm proud of all the work that's gone into it (big thanks to Galactic Films, JimA73 and everyone in the MBU for helping me get the site to some semblence of decency, even if the main page is super-lame atm).

Also, LEDs. I bought a bunch of strip LEDs off ebay, super-cheap, and I think they look great. I plan on doing a lighting overhaul soon anyway, but I thought at the price these were they'd be a good start (even if I do end up getting something better in 6 months time).

Hope you enjoy!

-Jampot

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelbrickfilmuniverse/images/7/77/StrangeAndAvengers1.png/revision/latest?cb=20150328225528

Last edited by jampot (March 28, 2015 (03:56pm))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Doctor Strange: Path to Greatness

I liked it !
You have a very beautiful lighting and you're specials effects are good ! That's a good Brickfilm !
Congratulation ! mini/bigsmile

Worldwide Brickfilm Community : Brick à Brack

YouTube Channel : MBstudio
Twitter : @MBstudio_Movies

I'm not familiar with Doctor Strange, but you seemed to cover the origin story pretty well.
It does well in showing him learn and continue over the montage, but the placing of the clip with the other heroes in "present time" seemed kinda...Strange.* Isn't it supposed to be an origin story that leads into those events? Or maybe I just don't get the timeline yet. Personally, I think it may have been better to switch the duel scene and the Ultron scene, since the latter seems bigger and needing more skill.

The sanctorum set was pretty cool, the staircases and artifacts look great, and it has the feel of being being full, yet organized and not crowded. The lighting in the demon-hunting/training scene thing, and the after-credits scene, were perfect. And I didn't catch the LDD background until a later watch, so good job hiding it. (Although rendering it in POV-Ray would have helped the realism a lot.)

I love showing the pages/subjects as they are being used, it's a little detail that adds a whole lot to the scene. And speaking of details, I like how his beam is more flame-y, while the green guy's is more lightening-y. Being different users and magic and stuff, they should be different.

As for a tiny detail that would have been nice, having Strange's hands shaking a tiny bit in the opening scene would have been cool. But you can't have everything, and it would have been a pain to animate.

Your animation had a few rough spots, but not enough to detract from the story. The effects just keep getting better and better, and you seem to be integrating them with the real footage better as well.

Great job, I look forward to more.

*You knew that was coming. mini/tongue

Thanks!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

It does well in showing him learn and continue over the montage, but the placing of the clip with the other heroes in "present time" seemed kinda...Strange.* Isn't it supposed to be an origin story that leads into those events? Or maybe I just don't get the timeline yet. Personally, I think it may have been better to switch the duel scene and the Ultron scene, since the latter seems bigger and needing more skill.

Hmm I see what you mean. I did wonder if the duel with Mordo (green suit guy) perhaps wasn't quite the most epic way to end the montage. My intention was basically just to show Strange's early years, I wasn't trying to have him joining the Avengers be the peak of that, though you're right, that would have been a good way to arrange the montage.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I didn't catch the LDD background until a later watch, so good job hiding it. (Although rendering it in POV-Ray would have helped the realism a lot.)

I'm trying to get POV-Ray to work on my old laptop, but my main computer's a Mac mini/sad  for the LDD shots in Invasion I had to ask someone else to render the models for me. In truth I'd rather resort to CGI as little as possible, but now and then there are some things (like the Sanctorum, and Barbuda and Mt Wundagore in Invasion) that I just can't physically build.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I love showing the pages/subjects as they are being used, it's a little detail that adds a whole lot to the scene. And speaking of details, I like how his beam is more flame-y, while the green guy's is more lightening-y. Being different users and magic and stuff, they should be different.

Thanks! The spell-subtitles is a reference to Infinity Quest, from Avengers about four years ago, where Strange briefly uses a bunch of spells to impersonate Thanos. It was the first time I'd read Strange in anything, and even though since then I've read about a dozen issues of Strange's own comics, I've never actually seen the subtitles be used again. It's a shame, as I thought it was quite a bit of fun, and I'm glad you thought so too mini/smile

Pritchard Studios wrote:

*You knew that was coming. mini/tongue

I would have expected nothing less mini/lol

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein