Topic: Danger in Norway (S.H.I.E.L.D Declassified Episode #003)

Directory Link

Danger in Norway (S.H.I.E.L.D Declassified Episode #003)

YouTube

In episode #003 of S.H.I.E.L.D Declassified Agent Clint Barton is called by Agent Coulson to go on a mission to Norway.

Directed by: Canaan May
Written by: Canaan May, Jack Rizzo

Cast:
Hawkeye: Bluelinkdragon
Agent Coulson: Kaz (@kazeugma)
Gambit: Cliff Thompson
S.H.I.E.L.D Computer: Jack Rizzo

See other episodes of S.H.I.E.L.D Declassified here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYw0pdkVyFu0Hyh_J8Zyg3AWRPLnjoQq6

Re: Danger in Norway (S.H.I.E.L.D Declassified Episode #003)

Awesome! This was so smooth and professional looking. I've given the episode a wiki page too (though weirdly I still haven't gotten around to a page for Hawkeye yet).

Spoiler (click to read)

I particularly liked the intel footage of Silver Samurai, I thought that was slickly done.

And as if I wasn't already hyped enough for Avengers: Defenders of Earth!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Ooh! I'll have to watch this later.

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

I enjoyed this, and I'm not even an especially big Marvel fan.  It's the perfect length and feel of a "declassified" snippet of information, teasing the audience just enough without feeling too rushed or over-long.  The lighting, set design, effects, and voicing is spot-on, you did an excellent job in those areas.

However, I do have a pretty major gripe with the cinematography, and feel that it bogs down what could have otherwise been an excellent short.  For a start, you've broken the 180-degree rule multiple times (most jarringly at 0:31), for no discernible reason, making the cuts feel choppy and awkward instead of smooth and flowing.  There were also some unnecessary cuts, such as the one at 1:11.  I think that it would have been beneficial to have a few more close-ups on the faces of Coulson and Hawkeye, instead of always framing them in medium-wide shots.  Also, the introduction of the Gambit/Hydra files is a bit awkward too.  Personally, I would have shown this file show up on a screen on Coulson's desk before cutting directly to it--this would have again made the film flow more smoothly.

All in all, some great things here, but I still feel that there's a good amount of room for improvement.  Good effort, though!

Spoiler (click to read)

By the way, I thought the X-Men and Avengers were in different fictional universes?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

However, I do have a pretty major gripe with the cinematography, and feel that it bogs down what could have otherwise been an excellent short.  For a start, you've broken the 180-degree rule multiple times (most jarringly at 0:31), for no discernible reason, making the cuts feel choppy and awkward instead of smooth and flowing.  There were also some unnecessary cuts, such as the one at 1:11.  I think that it would have been beneficial to have a few more close-ups on the faces of Coulson and Hawkeye, instead of always framing them in medium-wide shots.

Thank you for sharing this with me. I was never 100% happy with the shots myself, but could never put my finger on why. I will definitely keep this in mind when I begin filming my next brickfilm. mini/smile

Spoiler (click to read)

By the way, I thought the X-Men and Avengers were in different fictional universes?

Spoiler (click to read)

As far as the films go, they are in different universes. But in the comics they existed in the same universe.

Good job, the lighting and set and effects are all quite impressive.
It sure shows the potential the MBU has to produce solid, entertaining shorts.
Keep up the good work!

Still a bit confused with why X-Men are working with Shield, and how similar/different this is to the movies, but hey, that's my problem, not so much yours.

Thanks man. mini/smile

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Still a bit confused with why X-Men are working with Shield, and how similar/different this is to the movies, but hey, that's my problem, not so much yours.

Basically, JamPot and I decided to have the Avengers and X-Men exist in the same universe like they do in the comics. If you would like some more information as to why Gambit was working with S.H.I.E.L.D I would suggest reading the "Ambush in Malta" section on the Gambit profile page on our MBU wiki. http://marvelbrickfilmuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Gambit
Hope this clears up a few things for you Pritchard. mini/smile

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Like Galactic said, we're going for the approach in the comics and treating the Avengers and X-Men as the same universe, since we're free of all the Disney/Sony/Fox debacles. Personally, I'd love for us to be able to do Uncanny Avengers at some point, which is a run in the comics where the Avengers add a bunch of mutants to a new Avengers Unity Squad to try and bridge the human/mutant gap.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Possible suggestion for improvement: if you use stereo, maybe the side from which the sound/voice is coming could be aligned with the position of the given minifig in the video?
Example: at the scene around 0:30 guy enters from right, his voice comes from right - it is OK. However at 0:32 you reverse the camera (the same guy is on the left), while the sound still comes from right. Maybe toy could flip the side for the sound as well?

Watched it last night. The suspense for what's next is killing me!

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

ThaukaFilms wrote:

Possible suggestion for improvement: if you use stereo, maybe the side from which the sound/voice is coming could be aligned with the position of the given minifig in the video?
Example: at the scene around 0:30 guy enters from right, his voice comes from right - it is OK. However at 0:32 you reverse the camera (the same guy is on the left), while the sound still comes from right. Maybe toy could flip the side for the sound as well?

Ugh, somebody noticed. That was a sloppy error. I was kinda rushing too finish this before the weekend and I for got to check all the sound effects before I did the final render. But hey, nobody's perfect. mini/tongue

Galactic Films wrote:

[
Ugh, somebody noticed. That was a sloppy error. I was kinda rushing too finish this before the weekend and I for got to check all the sound effects before I did the final render. But hey, nobody's perfect. mini/tongue

no, I don't think it is a big deal. Simply praising your video would not help you make it much better, though, right?

No, no, no, thank you for your critique. I was merely pointing out that I was aware of that particular mistake. mini/smile