Topic: Let's talk about comedy in brickfilms

I've been wanting to talk about comedy in brickfilms for a while, I feel like I frequently hear people complaints that there are to many comedy brickfilms or it's an overused genre or variations on those arguments. Over the course of my life watching films and recommending films to other people I have discovered an interesting thing, most people don't know what kind of films they like and cannot articulate why they like the films they do. I feel like a lot of folks making the claims that brickfilm comedies are too numerous are falling into the same trap, they are people who don't know what they like and can't articulate why they like the brickfilms they do like.

I don't really want to go into the issues I have with serious/dramatic brickfilms, but I do think that on a whole, there is a HUGE problem with comedy brickfilms and no one has articulated these issues better then Tony Zhou in his video essay on Edgar Wright: How to Do Visual Comedy. Be warned there is some [very brief] strong language in a few of the clips in the essay, but in all honestly if you aren't willing to watch and analyze a few R-rated films you should really be having discussions about film making anyway. He doesn't discuss brickfilms at all but if you replace the phrase 'modern american comedy' with 'brickfilms' everything is still true.

The point of Tony's essay, is that only relying on dialog to deliver comedy ignores the rest of tools film makers have at their disposal. When I sit down and watch a brickfilm and it ends up being two characters just talking at each other 9 times out of 10 I just turn it off. There is very little visually that engages me, it may as well be an audio book, and a poorly written one as often as not.

I find myself falling into the trap as well, lets face it, animating dialog where characters just stand around is easy, just wave an arm at a few key words and BAM! you've got 30 seconds of animation done. And while we brickfilmers are accustom to watching LEGO figs talking most 'normal' people cannot view a minifig as a person at all. I've been collecting LEGO for over 25 years, and I do see minifigs as people, I can find all the nuanced differences but when I show something to other folks they often can't even tell a male minifig from a female fig. So if regular folks have a hard time differentiating figs you should give them a reason to pay a bit closer attention to the visuals, they are problebly watching because they think minifigs are funny and/or cute, so reward them for paying attention with some sight gags. Film is a visual medium so if you are making a comedy keep the visuals funny.

Do you think people really watch films like Pokeballin' 2 because of the dialog, or maybe, just a though, it's because imagery like this is really funny.

http://i.imgur.com/uuF78gU.gif

Re: Let's talk about comedy in brickfilms

First things first, I am not very good with the subject: comedy; and coming up with good jokes.
I don't see how there can be too much comedy. It works well as long as it's funny.
A brickfilms don't get boring when there's too much comedy, it only gets bad when the jokes are not funny. Same goes with horror, the film industry doesn't suffer from too much horror, but from too much horror films that aren't scary.
The thing with comedy in brickfilms is that if it is cheaper, easier, or not possible than a live action cast, then go for it. If the film is just conversation between two people and mostly relies on the audio over visual, then there's no good reason of doing it in a brickfilm (unless you're doing some sort of lip-sync/body-movement test).

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

SlothPaladin wrote:

I find myself falling into the trap as well, lets face it, animating dialog where characters just stand around is easy, just wave an arm at a few key words and BAM! you've got 30 seconds of animation done.

This may be easy as an animation exercise, but believe me, to make animated characters who are standing around talking, and making the dialogue engaging enough to hold your attention, is EXTREMELY difficult! Animation is not just the visuals; it's a gestalt of all the elements working together.

I lot of comedy in brickfilms are just 1 minute stories with a twist.  Like a nerd beats a jock at a wresting match.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I think there's too many dark, serious brickfilms.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

SlothPaladin wrote:

The point of Tony's essay, is that only relying on dialog to deliver comedy ignores the rest of tools film makers have at their disposal. When I sit down and watch a brickfilm and it ends up being two characters just talking at each other 9 times out of 10 I just turn it off. There is very little visually that engages me, it may as well be an audio book, and a poorly written one as often as not.

I totally agree with this. I love well written dialog (watch any of the Henri and Edmond films), but overall I feel there's just too much talking. This goes for comedies as well as dramas. As far as visually engaging elements, I think using Pokéballin 2 as an example was spot on. The dialog is hardly memorable, but some lines stick out because of the animation ("What's the matter, Ash? Can't take the heat?"). The film works because of the visuals, which seems to be NXT's thing. I'd love to hear his input here.

Anyway, I'm trying to correct this in my own work. What I'm attempting with my current project is to tell as much of the story as I can through visuals. There is one crucial point in the film where I plan on using dialog, and that will be it. Everywhere else I'll be experimenting with cinematography or animation to tell the story. It's not a comedy, though I imagine the animation will have that certain liveliness to it that I like.

Over the course of my life watching films and recommending films to other people I have discovered an interesting thing, most people don't know what kind of films they like and cannot articulate why they like the films they do. I feel like a lot of folks making the claims that brickfilm comedies are too numerous are falling into the same trap, they are people who don't know what they like and can't articulate why they like the brickfilms they do like.

This is also an excellent point, and I think it's because people simply don't educate themselves about film. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on cinematography, but I feel more aware of where the camera is and what it may be trying to accomplish by being there after watching a few of Tony Zhao's essays. Bob's meeting with his boss in The Incredibles suddenly got a lot more interesting when I realized that the camera was reflecting Bob's complete disinterest in anything his boss was saying. But I digress.

I hope everyone else reading this topic tries to get something out of it and apply it. I love topics like these, but I don't feel like they do anything in the long run because the majority of the people who read them read it, say something along the lines of "that was very nice!" and return to their status quo.

P.S.

Kd2000 wrote:

First things first, I am not very good with the subject: comedy; and coming up with good jokes.

I'd suggest researching comedy, then. Figure out what you think is funny. Why do you think something is funny? What do other people think is funny? What makes something funny? Figure that out, and start applying it. Write some jokes and try them on people. Practice. Do research. Don't give up.

Last edited by Littlebrick (April 27, 2015 (10:14am))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I find that a good way to improve your visual jokes is to make films without dialogue. Then you can focus exclusively on the animation, visual gags, quality of the animation, and how to tell a story without words. Then, when you make other films, you compliment the animation (that includes the visual stuff) with dialogue. You don't make the dialogue overbearing. At the same time, you don't want to make the dialogue have such a minor roll that you could just as well make the film without the use of dialogue.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

That gif. mini/blankexpression

Anyway, it's interesting you've brought this up, because it's a big critique of my own work I've had going back and watching a lot of it recently. I've been putting off my next actual film, because it's mainly just a dialogue between two characters, and I've been trying to make my dialogue animation more interesting before I tackle it. LEGO as a medium is so ideal for comedy, but the visual benefits for comedy animation that the LEGO minifigure provides are rarely taken advantage of; which is why I've been looking at my old work and thinking "ugh, this is boring". I'd love to see more slapstick in brickfilms. All the comedy movies I laugh the hardest at are from the 80's and earlier. I think the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie was watching one of the original Pink Panther films from the 60's. I think comedy in film, both in the mainstream and in brickfilming, could really benefit from a shift back to a more classic style.

(I'm getting some good film ideas just from writing this.)

I can only say I agree with you sloth, and thanks a million for introducing me to every frame a painting.  It has become one of my favorite YouTube channels in one evening of watching half their videos.

I definitely agree that it would be great to see more visual comedy and better cinematography in Brickfilming.  LEGO lends itself especially well to this sort of style, but it's still pretty rare to see it in actual Brickfilms and I'd love to see more Brickfilmers explore these possibilities.

That being said, I don't think your comparison of modern Hollywood comedies with the average Brickfilm is entirely fair.  The comedies Tony Zhou discusses are professional big-budget films, made by people who have spent years of their life studying film and working in the film-making industry.  Brickfilms are typically made by kids or teens who are still in school, unlikely to have seriously studied film (yet), and who view film-making as a casual fun side hobby.  Heck, my own interest in cinema in general was sparked by seeing Brickfilms and wanting to make some myself.  (Funnily enough it's now my experience in live-action and interest in cinema influencing my Brickfilming, so I guess I've come a full circle.)  Basically, the modern Hollywood comedies are made by people who should know better, but the Brickfilms are made by people who don't yet have the skill or knowledge to do better.

Honestly, I think the main problem is a lack of awareness.  As a film-maker, you have full control over the world you create.  You can make your characters and story do whatever you want.  This is particularly true of Brickfilming, as typically you will be the writer, director, cameraman and animator, editor, set/prop designer, gaffer,  cinematographer, possibly voice actor, caterer... etc. (unlike live-action, where you essentially need an army of people to get anything done).  As Tony puts it:

Every Frame a Painting wrote:

The frame is a playground, so play!

It sounds like an incredibly simple thing (and it is), but I only really grasped that after watching Every Frame a Painting and working in live-action.  Even having a basic grasp of cinematography and shot types, and simply asking yourself why you want to frame a specific shot in a specific way will greatly improve the quality of your film.  Before I didn't even storyboard or write out proper scripts; now, I rigorously plan out every shot.

Of course, I now feel slightly bad since my current project has a ton of dialogue, and at times mainly consists of characters talking at each other.  However, I do plan on adding a good amount of visual humour (particularly in an epic fight scene I have planned), and I've taken great pains to keep the cinematography visually engaging, instead of being a standard shot/reverse-shot setup.

So to sum it all up, I think the best way to go about improving Brickfilm comedies is to encourage them to study and analyse film-making, think outside the box, and make them aware of the possibilities.  It's far too easy to get trapped in a "do what everyone else does" mindset, and films suffer for it.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr. Vertigo, another good thing to do is break up your shots a lot in dialogue heavy films I've learned over time.  This helps avoid static camera shots.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Mr. Vertigo, another good thing to do is break up your shots a lot in dialogue heavy films I've learned over time.  This helps avoid static camera shots.

Frankly, I disagree. Breaking up shots with lots of dialogue doesn't make the film any better, it often just makes it choppy. You have to plan out your shots in advance, and choose the best possible camera angles for the dialogue. Just switching back and forth and out and in doesn't make it interesting, it just makes it tiring to look at.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I remember seeing this video some time ago when Mr. Vertigo showed it to me.  It really made me think hard about comedy in film-making.

I do admit, I fall into that usual rut quite often.  In my last comedy film, Leprechauns in France, it is mostly just two people standing in front of each other talking about stuff, and visual humour is minimal.  I also got into the same rut again with a screenplay I wrote this year, but this time I was cognizant of this problem as I wrote it, but I went along with it anyway.

Still, I'm never sure yet as to what exactly I am to do about this.

Comedy that is mostly dialogue-based is not always so easy to animate.  Characters walk around, carry and use props, react to each other, especially if three or more characters are involved.  I'm going to watch the film, finally, posted at the top.

But also, minimal humor is trendy today, but really big in the 1990s.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Comedy that is mostly dialogue-based is not always so easy to animate.  Characters walk around, carry and use props, react to each other, especially if three or more characters are involved.  I'm going to watch the film, finally, posted at the top.

That's all really standard animation that isn't terribly visually interesting, though. Sloth's point was that this is boring to watch and doesn't take advantage of what animation, brickfilming in particular, is good at. Live action TV sitcoms work because talented comedians can really emote on screen, but when you're working with minifigs, flailing minifig arms and moving some props around just doesn't have the same power to it.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I feel like people think I am vilifying dialog, I am not, HOO, please watch the video before continuing the discussion, I am saying that films lack visual comedy, you can add visual comedy to a dialog heavy film, even though Squid was getting down on his own film Leprechauns in France it still uses funny visuals to agment the verbal comedy, like literally showing bald dude's mind getting blown:

http://i.imgur.com/TrKP6kJ.png

or things entering the frame in funny ways:

http://i.imgur.com/6gPB5FZ.png

These are funny visual elements that use the film medium to enhance the humor in the dialog and help keep the audience engaged. If visual elements are few and far between the eyes of the audience will start to wander and if you have a visual joke they might miss it because they are reading there facebook feed or something while your film is playing on the side, if they haven't given up on watching completely.

Another great example of visual comedy used to enhance dialog in a dialog heavy films would be PushOverProductions, you have things like the sales man in 15 Second Party in a Crate appearing in a very funny manner, the whole film is packed with a TON of visual gags and even though it's only a 30 second short the combination of funny dialog with humorous visuals make it very memorable.

http://i.imgur.com/V1a0W2G.png

This is the kinds of things brick films need more of, the way you animate dialog can be funny, however more often then not it gets turned into mechanical motions. LEGO is a very visual medium and with the magic of stop motion there is no reason we need to be confined the the constrains of reality. Right and left aren't the only place you can bring a new character in from, you can have minifigs pop out of the floor or ceiling, heads arms and legs can pop off, you could tack mixal eyes to a minifig when they get freaked out, there are a lot of LEGO pieces get creative!

I've tried to keep my tone pretty positive and only highlight examples of things done right by members but you are sort of painting a target on yourself HOO.

Mr Vertigo, while comparing brickfilms to big budget productions might not be 'fair' it's certainly valid, this is a thread for folks that want to improve there craft, if folks want to wallow in mediocrity there is no need for those folks to get down on the people who are willing to research and try new things and reach for higher goals. There is no reason why someone can't make a brickfilm as timeless as a Chuck Jones Loony Toon episode, but if we aren't willing to look at our own problems and shortcomings then there is no way we will ever get there.

rioforce wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Frankly, I disagree. Breaking up shots with lots of dialogue doesn't make the film any better, it often just makes it choppy. You have to plan out your shots in advance, and choose the best possible camera angles for the dialogue. Just switching back and forth and out and in doesn't make it interesting, it just makes it tiring to look at.

I don't mean, just break the shots up without planning.  I just meant not to keep a static camera for 45 seconds to a minute at a time if possible.  Change the camera angle when a different character talks, like in sitcoms.

Sloth, I did admit that I didn't see the video, because of lack of time at the time. I watched it last night, and I understand what you mean completely.

I do have a few comments on it.  The video presented some pretty good suggestions, even if under half of the provided examples were actually funny.  I would go in a little different direction, though.  I know everyone loves lists, so the video categorizes types of humorous camera work.  But his ending is really the crux of the video and the best advice: the camera is the "playground", and you should try to be inventive and novel with it.  What's more, this is not only a good rule for only comedy, but dramatic or tragic films, and prose as well.  To apply the technique in prose, you want to describe the mundane in a way it's never been explained before.  When a house catches on fire, for instance, how many times has the smoke rising been given the metaphor, "a plume"?  You can do better than that!  Or can you?  An inventive writer should learn to use language the way the director uses the lens.

The TV montage is a great joke and effective comedy most every time it's used (also one that has been used a lot over time, which is weird becaue the overused is kinda what the video is saying to avoid), but in the example shown, while funny, it's not someone missing an actual warning, because it's just a combination of related clips that create a related sentence through serendipity.  I would just as likely not say, "Oh, there's some impending doom", because of such a coincidence.

Also, two of the 8 "ideas": matching scene transitions and super dramatic cues are already extremely common in modern comedy.   This should make the creator of this video happy.  (actually super-dramatic cues are something I'd like to see LESS of.)  There's also the much funnier super-understated cue, where a character reacts mildly to something ultra-dramatic.  This can be very effective, but it was left out of the video as a "type".  Maybe the director he likes doesn't do them.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.  That's probably what my advice is worth.

I challenge you to name one single brickfilm that uses an over dramatic lighting cue for comedic effect. I feel like the 'dramatic lighting cue' is more often used for dramatic effect and often ends up feeling melodramatic,  whereas a comedy setting sort of turns the trope on its head and has fun with it.

I do agree that the crux of the essay is 'the frame is a playground, so play' and I do find it a little ironic that while we are making our film with toys we need to be reminded of that.

Comedy is comedy, as long as it makes people laugh, to me it's good. I don't personally care whether it is visual or just talking. However, I am not very fond of slapstick comedy, like we see in a lot of TV today. Go back in time thirty years or so and it's much funnier. But I do think slapstick can be done right when you got the right person coming up with it. Which is definitely not me.

Mosh5256 wrote:

Comedy is comedy, as long as it makes people laugh, to me it's good. I don't personally care whether it is visual or just talking.

Yes, but I think the point of this thread is that there's too much of one sort of comedy (dialog, a lot of which isn't very well done), and that we're not utilizing the full spectrum of comedic possibilities. Comedic tastes differ from person to person (for example, I would disagree with your position on slapstick), so it's necessary to have a wider range of humor. Otherwise, if all comedy films were Adam Sandler movies, I'd stop watching comedy movies entirely (and to be honestly, I have largely stopped watching straight comedies because the majority of them just aren't appealing, even though I love comedy).

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...