Topic: Using clay in your films (Advice please)

Okay, I think we have all seen brotherswhorkshop, I think thats his channel name, or forrestfire, they use clay to put the lego arms out of the sockets or for the figures balance, ect. so I need help, is clay going to stay sticky and such? what about using it animations? am i going to have to mask everything out? what about the arms out of the sockets? how do i do that? and is clay actually going to help me? Right now I'm using playdoh, gets kinda hard rather quickly and not very sticky. So I need general guidance with this. any tips or anything is helpful! Thanks guys! mini/smile

Re: Using clay in your films (Advice please)

BrotherhoodWorkShop uses clay for the ground. Clay is generally not the best for anything besides that, I would recommend for other things like the arms out of their sockets and holding objects up you use sticky tack. It isn't very expensive and I have found it very useful.

You don't have to mask it out (only if you want too) in things like the arms moving out. Though with things like holding the legs, and holding objects in the air I mask them out. When using tack you should strive to hide it as much as possible.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Like Harbor said, clay is basically mostly good for ground. It's not really sticky (at least, not strong enough to hold much), because it's so oily. You may want to look into buying some sticky tac (also called Blu Tac, it comes in many other brands though) for out of socket movements and such. However, sticky tac doesn't come in the colors clay does, it is usually white or blue.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

GreyBrickProductions wrote:

is clay going to stay sticky and such?

It should, yeah. Some clays will harden when exposed to the air for extended periods of time, but it should last for a decent while (based on my experience with Sculpey).

what about using it animations? am i going to have to mask everything out?

Depends on how much work you want to put on yourself. If you don't want to have the tac visible in your film, then you're gonna be looking at a decent amount of masking/clone stamping. If you don't mind it being in there, then don't worry about it too much.

what about the arms out of the sockets? how do i do that?

Step 1: Remove the arm from its socket.

and is clay actually going to help me? Right now I'm using playdoh, gets kinda hard rather quickly and not very sticky. So I need general guidance with this. any tips or anything is helpful! Thanks guys! mini/smile

Sounds like Play-Doh is a poor choice for tac. Clay (such as Sculpey) is a better alternative, though it, too, runs the risk of hardening up and losing its stick after a while. My best recommendation is Uhu Tac. It remains sticky for extended periods of time without drying out, and is remarkably easy to clean (clay has a tendency to get really oily and get stuck in the various small crevices found on LEGO and on minifigs).

Thanks a lot guys! I really needed the advice and stuff! mini/smile good thing I didn't buy clay when I had the chance.