Topic: Weird Scripts?

Am I the only person who makes there scripts like this E.G.

Scene 1
Outside Jacks house.

Jack: (Walking towards his house) Hi mom
Jacks Mom: Hi jack.

Am I the only person?

Re: Weird Scripts?

I don't understand what you mean by "weird". What you have is a simple script format. It's not the format that most people and professional screenwriters use, but it's not weird.

In fact, I formatted my scripts like that until just a few months ago.

By the way, welcome to Bricks in Motion! mini/smile

Last edited by rioforce (May 5, 2015 (03:44pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I used to use that format all the time. Not quite sure when I changed over, but I remember finding it so much and slower harder when I forced myself to use the 'correct' format, because of all the spacing and alignments and so on. Now, I've got into the habit though. I think the last thing I scripted like that was episode 2 of Avengers Tower, because I scripted it on my phone. It's a useful format if you're on the go like that, I think.

Long before I did actually change format, I had a friend who kept reading my scripts and saying "Dude, you're writing it all wrong", but for personal projects, I think having your own preferred format is totally fine. I wouldn't say what you're using is 'weird'.

Also, nice avatar. Just finished reading Infinity a few days ago, will be moving onto Inhumanity this evening.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Except for the way things are positioned on the page, what you wrote is closer to the screenplay format than you expect! there's nothing weird about it.

Here's the way it would appear:

--

EXT. JACK'S HOUSE - DAY

Jack is walking towards his house.  He sees his MOM.

JACK
Hi, Mom.

JACK'S MOM
Hi. Jack.

--

Now, stage plays use the colon followed by the line as you do, if what they taught me in grammar school is correct.  But see how you had pretty much all the important information presented in almost the same way you typed it.  So you're doing all right.  And this may be all you need if you're the only one who needs to use the script.  If you're writing this for your own use and you get what you wrote, there's no need to change it if it works for you!

The format for screenplay writing takes a bit getting used to.  If you are looking for voice actors who are not immediate friends or family, they will be grateful you did it.  Also, if you think writing is a possible career, it's good to get into the format early and make it a habit.  It doesn't take long to adjust.

If you want to start writing like this, you don't have to change much.  For each scene, write EXT. or INT. for exterior or interior shot, then the name of the scene (in caps), then DAY or NIGHT (or DAWN/DUSK), so you know what the lighting conditions should be like when you shoot.

Whatever is happening that's not dialogue (like walking down the street) is written like regular writing.  But you have to be clear what's happening.  the only thing you left out is that he sees his mom.  Suddenly there's a mom in the scene talking that we didn't expect.  Always name every that's on the screen before they start talking.

When someone talks, there is spacing so people can find their lines.  Their names get their own lines in CAPS to make it even easier for them to find their voices.

There's a guide in resources explaining the formatting in detail.  I also wrote extensively on the topic too.  I can get you the URL if you want.

But there are other who write like this and it's just fine for them.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."