Topic: Organization of ideas for a story

How do y'all approach organizing your ideas for a particular story? Not scribbling down initial ideas in general, but development of a particular idea beyond the initial inspiration stage.

I guess this isn't so bad with most brickfilms, which tend to be pretty short (when I made my recent 3-minute brickfilm Puffindolia it wasn't hard to keep the entirety of the idea in my head at once), but in theory the principles are somewhat universal.

On some past films, I've accumulated a folder of images that inspire me and a few .txt files that are disjointed streams of ideas. Lately, I've been trying to better organize this on the basis of characters' backgrounds, story arcs, and personalities, but I still find this an unsatisfyingly linear structure for what are, in reality, a complex web of interlocking elements. That makes it harder to put pieces together when the time comes to start outlining. At the same time, it's a lot easier to navigate than something more complex like a mind map. Neither seems like an ideal solution, so I'm not sure what the best way to organize, develop, and navigate this kind of information would be.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Organization of ideas for a story

https://www.fsd1.org/schools/southflorence/cbouras/PublishingImages/compositionbooks.jpg
I write my ideas down in composition notebooks.
That way I can also quick sketch various ideas in my head that I want to use in a film later.
I leave a few pages in-between ideas that I deem 'decent/brickfilm-worthy' so that I can write out the script.
Or also for sketching/storyboarding. If the idea or film is longer than intended, I go to post-it notes or index cards for storyboarding purposes. The main problem with this method…after a while, my notebooks tend to get bulky due to these post-its, index cards and loose sheets of notebook paper for add-ons.

Another issue is remembering to bring those darn notebooks with me everywhere I go.
I get ideas at the weirdest times.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I use Evernote as my primary way of keeping ideas, but I'll have notebooks and other things in case I need to sketch out an idea for a shot or design. But Evernote is really great, and I'm sure I would love it even more if I had a smartphone to snap pictures of ideas and the like. I use it for film ideas, personal note-taking, school, etc. You can keep ideas in separate notebooks, highlight, search for specific words or tags — it's just great.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I've never been very good at planning but after my current project I want to make a mini-series, something like 5 episodes at about 5 minuets each and I do want an over arcing story for the whole series. This is a bit beyond my normal scope of writing, while watching other shows with the same format (Bravest Warriors for instance) I noticed on re-watching episodes that there is a LOT of foreshadowing, and I am trying to focus on having earlier episodes foreshadow events in later episodes so I need to focus more on the organization of everything and plan everything out quite a bit better.

For this project I have been string out plot ideas on Google docs power point equivalent. I just write out little ideas and draw arrows between connected ideas, it allows me to work on them or share them with whoever.

I have lots of simple text files where I type down information.  I keep creating new files each time I have a new category that I think needs development.  However, usually stuff in my planning stage involves basic information, more just raw information, and very little to do with story.

Although, I only go to such planning for Riigo-Faloo, as there are so many names I need to keep them or else I might forget them.

For most brickfilms, though, I have very little planning that I actually write down, as they are usually not that complex.  Usually, though, names can be a problem, so at the top of the script I sometimes have a little section listing all of the characters and their names, with perhaps a single sentence describing them, and sometimes only just a word.

If I have an idea, I just think about it in my head a lot and then go right on to scripting.  To keep track of all of the ideas I haven't properly started on yet, I keep a script file that hasn't even been started in a folder so I can remember that that was something I might get around to doing sometime.  So nothing really big.

When I have an idea that I want to pursue, I usually have more than just a title.
For instance... I want to make a joke short about state abbreviations.

So this short idea started with a joke. But then I thought, okay, how do I ramp this up to absurd proportions? Take it to the next level? Mailing something to the wrong state? What about a road trip in the wrong direction? Bingo.

--Take your feelings and thoughts and push them into the mould of what you're making.

I think state abreviations are easy to mess up and could cause real problems for someone. Okay, so put a character into that exact situation! Find a way to create conflict between your characters. A stupid mistake. A genuine disagreement over ideology. What grinds your gears? Pick a character and let that same thing that bothers you, bother them.

Smeagol you saw the film I'm working on. Near the start of the film there is a character who I ad-libbed a line for ("So, I've been workin' on my Sea Dog. Like Avast! and Scurvy! Oh-") and as I worked on the story, his focus on Sea Dog grew into not just a character trait, but a big part of who he is. He was a canadian fisherman/treasure hunter that deep down believes he should be a PIRATE.

--Pay attention to the little pieces that stick out in your mind as you work on your project. If its something you keep coming back to and thinking "I like that" there's a reason for it. Explore that detail further and find out where the rabbit hole goes.

--Act out the voices and scenes that you're still working on. Let two characters talk to each other in your mind's eye and learn about who they are. You may never write down the dialogue, but it further deepens who the characters are to YOU and when you DO start writing for them, their motives and who they are, are more real even when the lines themselves don't reveal a lot about them.

--Imagine your Protagonist and Antagonist sitting down to talk. Let their discussion grow into an argument. When you do that you can get a better understanding of what your central conflict is. Even if the two never do talk in the story, you'll know why they are fighting. That knowledge will help you bridge gaps and incorporate more elements and details into the complex web of your story.

I also write stream-of-conciousness type dialogue and plot elements in a word document when I've got a spark of creativity going for me. Later I'll come back, hit the page break button and start over again on another page. I may re-write a section of the story in three or four different ways because of what I feel another part of the story needs.

Spread things out. Make a mess. And then put the pieces back together.

And now I'm going to list my favorite story development tool...

Pixar’s rules/guidelines for storytelling
#1: You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
#2: You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.
#3: Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.
#4: Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
#5: Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
#6: What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
#7: Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
#8: Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
#9: When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
#10: Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
#11: Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
#12: Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
#13: Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
#14: Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
#15: If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
#16: What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
#17: No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on - it’ll come back around to be useful later.
#18: You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best & fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
#19: Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
#20: Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How d’you rearrange them into what you DO like?
#21: You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write ‘cool’. What would make YOU act that way?
#22: What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.

Well, that's all I can think of right now.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

What I do is make a shell system of directories (folders) to put everything into.  They include:

Canned Laughs
  > (Sorted in subdirectories by type)
DVD
  > Project Files
  > MASTER
Images
  > For Tumblr
  > Test
LDD
Music
  > Acid (for acid pro files)
  > Original (for original music not by me)
  > Renders (for complete music or drafts)
Renders
  > Ads
  > Audio Tests
  > Video Tests
  > Video, Final Renders
Resources
  > ~PDF
  > Reference Images
  > Scripts
     > ~Other Brickfilms
     > Open Office
     > Outlines and ideas
     > PDF
SFX
  > Ambience
  > Standards (these are sounds I use all the time)
  > Other
Stills
  > (sorted in subdirectories by session number)
Vocals
  > Auditions
  > Completed (where all the vocals are put into one file)
  > Processed (where I put copies of raw audio files and adjust the levels so they are consistent)
     > (Sorted by Character Name in sub-subdirectories)
  > Raw
     > (Sorted by Character Name in sub-subdirectories)

This structure is the same for every long brickfilm I do.  As I work, I place the file in the proper category so I know where to find them.  I'll make a category or sub category as needed.  For example, If I have a story idea it goes in "Outlines and Ideas", numbered chronologically so that they make sense.  I use Sony Vegas Studio, and the Vegas files are placed int he project's root directory.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (May 12, 2015 (12:46pm))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."