Topic: Animator of the Week: Jorden Davis (May 25, 2015)

http://i.imgur.com/l2PYFNs.png

Jorden Davis (JonnDthunDer), 17, is a brickfilmer who currently resides in Alaska. He estimates he's collected more than 100,000 LEGO pieces, and at the age of 12 he began putting them to use making animations. While at a brother's soccer game he grabbed his mother's camera and decided to make an animation with some LEGO he'd brought. Brickfilming at a soccer game is a rare start, but it was the only beginning for Jorden:

"The Batmobile ran over Two-Face and that was the end. After clicking through the pictures rapidly and getting the illusion of motion, that little taste of animation had me hooked and I’ve been animating ever since."

The film he holds as his best work so far is Perpetual Twilight, which was created for a contest on the BiM forums, 'Contrast.' The film won that competition, and went on to win a Film Challenge through Sneak on the Lot and was played on national television as part of the program Liberty Treehouse. It also won DSLRguide's 5000 subscribers special. He plans to expand on the film with a novel adapted from its story.

Davis is interested in expanding into other areas of brickfilming in the future:

"I always enjoy doing voice acting or giving feedback on a script, as time allows. Recently I’ve begun composing my own music for my films, and would love to try and work with others should someone need a beginning composer. That’s really the beauty of places like Bricks In Motion. It allows the members to get feedback or help with films and idea, and is an environment where like-minded members can come together to work on a film and create a work of art that may have started as an idea in a bored child’s head."

He's also dual-enrolled in high school and university courses, and enjoys swimming competitively and playing with his two cats.

Have you ever made a brickfilm at a live sporting event? Are you looking for a composer? Let's find out together in this discussion topic.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Animator of the Week: Jorden Davis (May 25, 2015)

I really like Jorden's work and I'm lad that I got to help out some with Perpetual Twilight.

I remember first talking with Jorden in 2012. He was new to Bricks in Motion, and had approached me about the project that I was working on at the time – Johnny Thunder and the Mysterious Orb. He mentioned that he’d once animated several videos with the titular character in the past, but, hadn’t planned on uploading them. I persuaded him to release them, partially encouraging him that “every film has something others can learn from” and, partially because I was really interesting in watching another adventurous brickfilm.

While it wasn't a technical marvel by any means, it was definitely inspired compared to most newer brickfilmers work. We shared some similar likes, (aside from LEGO) and, he had a very similar approach to storytelling as I did. His next few brickfilms were enjoyable, and, it was easy to see is rapid improvements.

By the time of the Contrast contest, I was still knee-deep in a Johnny Thunder project, and, regrettably, had to pass. I tried to mostly avoid watching films from the contest – partially out of my own guilt for not entering. However, the buzz circulating around Jorden’s “Perpetual Twilight” eventually caused me to give in and give it a watch. While I’m not a big fan of vampires, myths, or fantasy, I did really enjoy the brickfim.

It’s camera angles and use of lighting was especially different, pushing the limits of his technical abilities to really create a nice looking and mood-fitting atmosphere. The story, as well, was gripping and easy to grasp. It wasn’t hard for me to relate to the characters and get lost within “Perpetual Twilight’s” fictional world.

It was around this time that I approached Jorden about “Immortalized,” another Johnny Thunder project of mine. The role was for some “air pirates,” – simply throw away characters that would only serve to move the plot along in a somewhat comedic, somewhat adventurous way. However, the audition I received from Jorden quickly changed my mind about the characters.

His funny voices and interesting dialogue on the whole subject of “Pirates in the Sky” made me outright cackle in a stupor of uncontrollable laughter. Not only was he very funny, but he was also fitting for the roles, completely exceeding my expectations.

While “Mysterious Orb” and “Immortalized” may have silently ended, my respect and admiration for Jorden has not. I’d certainly love to work with him on a Brickfilm project in the near future, and, am excited to learn that he also has an interest in composing music!

Here’s to ya’, JonnDthunDer. Keep up the great work! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Jorden's awesome. His brickfilms are great (Perpetual Twilight being one of my favourite brickfilms) and that's all well and good, but above all he's such a nice guy and a good friend. We haven't talked as much lately as we used to, but I still value the time I spend/have spent chatting to him here on BiM, and I'm sure anyone else who has will say the same.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Way to go!  Love how JohnDThunder's brickfilm was on one of my family's favorite TV shows for the kids!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Jorden has done some great Brickfilming work, and is a generally cool guy and and valuable member of this community.  (He's also voicing a character in my own film.)  I can't wait to see what he'll do next, and am looking forward to his Knight's Kingdom Brickfilm he's making.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive