Topic: BRAWL 2015
I'm pleased to announce BRAWL 2015!
What is BRAWL?
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, challenges you to make a brickfilm in exactly one week. This includes idea-making, writing, recording, animating, editing and submitting to be done within the time limit. It's a challenge, but you'll enjoy it!
When Does it Start?
The contest will start July 19, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), and will end July 26, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). You will have exactly one week to finish and submit a film. Any entries not received by the end of one week time period will be disqualified.
A thread titled "BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW!" will be posted in the Contest & Festivals forum. The thread will contain the theme, MOD elements, submission information, and a summary of the judging process.
Rules & Requirements
• Your film must be entirely made and submitted during the 1-week period. To prove this, films must follow a theme and include MOD elements that must appear in every shot of your animation (more information in "Theme & MOD Elements").
• Films must be animated and must be primarily composed of stop motion animation. Flash, 3D, or other animation techniques may be used to supplement stop-motion but, it may not be the main focus.
• Films must contain LEGO or similar 'brick' construction toys, such as MEGA Bloks.
• There must be at least 30 seconds of animation in the film. There is no maximum length.
• Films may not contain adult language, racist content, excessive graphic violence (blood and/or gore) or sexual themes.
• You may make up the three entries. If more than three films are submitted, the first three films received will be accepted. Any films received after the first three will be disqualified.
• You may NOT make your film public until after the deadline.
• Films must clearly show the linked BRAWL 2015 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logo may be inserted digitially.
If any of the above rules are not met, your film will be disqualified.
• Joint entries (collaborations) are allowed, but please specify every person or group involved with the creation of the film when submitting.
• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of pre-existing films or franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, & etc.). Use your imagination! Creativity is encouraged and awarded in BRAWL.
• Copyrighted, royalty-free, and original music pieces may all be used during BRAWL; original music pieces do not have to be made during the one week time limit.
• While the rules do not require entries to be spoken in the English language, it is recommended that your film use the English language. This is because the judging panel's first language is English. This is not meant to discourage you from making your entry in a language other than English. In fact, please refer to the "Submission" section of the contest announcement to see rules on additional time that can be used for subtitles.
Theme & MOD Elements
To prevent entrants from creating their films ahead of time, a contest theme, that entries must include, will be announced when the contest begins. In addition to the theme there will be two "MOD" elements. The MOD elements are visual elements that must be included in every shot of your film
The contest theme can be interpreted a number of ways, it can be integrated into the story of your film, a character's personality, or in your approach to creating the film. It is encouraged you to take a creative license in your interpretation of the theme. As long as the theme can be identified in your film.
There are two kinds of MOD elements, the first MOD element is a color MOD. This will be a combination of two brick colors connected or touching each other (for example, a blue brick connected to a green brick). The second MOD element is a letter MOD. This could be any of the 26 letters of the modern English alphabet. You may use the uppercase or lowercase version of the letter, but the letter must be recognizable as that letter.
You do not need to use both MOD elements. You can combine these MOD elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present at all times. You could choose to use just the color MOD or just the letter MOD, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the MOD elements be visible in every shot.
• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set.
• The letter MOD element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.
• The MOD Element may NOT be inserted digitally. It must be physically present in the shot.
• You do not need to include either MOD element in the titles or credits.
• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (i.e. changing brightness, black and white to color, & etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will not count as containing the mod element.
In addition, films must clearly show the linked BRAWL 2015 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logo may be inserted digitially.
A link to your entry must be sent to an email address that will be released in the “BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW!” thread. Entries must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. Details on this will be in the “BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW! Thread.
Optionally, for entries whose primary language is NOT in the English language, a second version of the film may be submitted 48 hours after the deadline with added English subtitles so the judges have a better understanding of the film. In order to submit the subtitled film, the following criteria must be met:
• An entry must have been submitted before the one week deadline (July 26, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT).
• The subtitled entry will be a modified version of the entry submitted before the one-week deadline. The only change that can be made is English subtitles being added. No extra shots, no extra audio, not even a change in color grade. If any changes are found, the subtitled entry will be considered void and the previously submitted non-subtitled entry will be judged.
• The subtitled entry must be submitted no later than 48 hours after the end of the BRAWL contest (July 28, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT
The top three films determined by the judges will each receive a $25 gift card to Brick Warriors store. Thanks to Brick Warriors for generously providing the prizes!
Spread The Word!
Spread the word! Use the BRAWL 2015 signature on BricksinMotion. Find it in my sig.
Use the the hastag #BRAWL2015 when discussing the contest on social media platforms.
Last edited by Fun Sucker (June 26, 2015 (04:11pm))