Re: Beyond the Eleventh Dimension

it was great, particularly loved the set designs, very good animation. The only thing was that I was expecting a "Serious" movie, not a funny one, but that's just me being too used to Nolan movies. I seriously felt like "WHaat?" when I noticed the number of views. Spam this, over advertise it: it deserves much more views.

It's really cool that you finished this after working on it for so many years! I was constantly in awe of each new set, especially the interior of the airship.

I've gotta say, the shot where the airship is flying around destroying the carp is the best. Also, (and I know you saw this in the chat, but I'm gonna say it again anyway) I loved the part at the end with the president. It's just so... patriotic. *sheds tear*

All in all, that was a really great film, definitely worth the wait! mini/bigsmile

Thanks Mighty Wanderer

LegoStudiosP wrote:

The only thing was that I was expecting a "Serious" movie, not a funny one

Hahaha

LegoStudiosP wrote:

I seriously felt like "WHaat?" when I noticed the number of views. Spam this, over advertise it: it deserves much more views.

I need everyone's help on this, please share it on your social medias, as it stands, with 200 FB friends and 80 Twitter followers I've pretty much reached my entire network, every share helps!

Wonderful film! I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by Mosh5256 (July 1, 2015 (06:11pm))

Stunning. I don't know how much more I can say. Sure, it was fast paced, but that makes it very friendly for multiple viewings, and I think it demands multiple viewings to take in all the detail in the sets, lighting and animation. I'm still amazed by the ridiculous scale of the street shot, and all that fig animation. Congratulations for sticking with the film for so long; I think it was worth it for sure.

That shot had 3 layers of minifigs, I think with all the cars there were 12-14 layers of animation. I had to shoot it all in a row and I think it took 26-28 hours with a few naps. It was a nightmare to shoot and then the masking took even longer. Almost every point where minifigs cross I had to mask out one of them by hand, and I think a few are still missing there shadows.

Your influences are B-Movies, but your movies are class A.
What I always enjoy about your films is the way they feel, you always manage to create a mood where everything works, even what shouldn't: even the simplest, most idiotic idea looks impressive, because it's not made cheaply. You care for detail and it pays (I love looking at the ship at 3:15).
Also, I understand the complaint others have made about how you through rushed the story, after all it has only 3 and a half minutes to build up the climax, but I think that adds charm to it: the entertainment value of each single scene here is way more important than the story, it serves merely as an excuse to go from a situation from another, and you gave it the right amount of attention, in my opinion. Besides, watching carefully, it seems to me that actually every scene occurs at a very slow pace, it only happens that there is plenty of stuff to look at

Spoiler (click to read)

for example: the scene where they are fighting against the fishbots (whatever they are called), one of the cops yells "behind you!", and it takes about one second before we see the reaction of the other cop. It's slow, we have time to understand and see what's going on, there's no music to underline epicness or action, just ambient sounds, wich probably helps to make it look funnier.

I do think that the war room was a missed opportunity, it's such an impressive set (and wonderful citation), you could've played more with it, and there is one inexplicable mirrored shot at 3:44 that lasts less than a second, but these are minor flaws.
I also want to add that the voice actors also did an excellent job (even though, as someone else pointed out, there are a few issues with the volumes).
It's a film that has it's flaws, but it works because it firmly believes in what it's doing and tries to do it as well as it can, it doesn't care. After all, nobody is perfect.

P.S.: I also ant to thank you for posting that trailer to "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra". I don't know if I'll want to watch the whole movie, but in what I've seen there are some hilarious wonderful moments it's almost like poetry.

Thanks for the great review MPfist0, I'm not going to deal with spoiler tags on this post, if you don't want to be spoiled you shouldn't be on page 2 mini/smile

Also, I understand the complaint others have made about how you through rushed the story, after all it has only 3 and a half minutes to build up the climax, but I think that adds charm to it: the entertainment value of each single scene here is way more important than the story

There's really not much story, you may have noticed in the credits I did not come up with the original idea (never be afraid to use others ideas, the whole thing started as a stupid name game, someone made a joke about a 'super carp', then someone would take it to the next level, 'shadow super carp' till it got to the point of Schrodinger's genetically engineered shadow super carp who was imprisoned in the eleventh dimension' there was even a picture of it behind someones fish tank, it was a badly drawn fish with lasor eyes, a top hat and monicol, sadly I couldn't work the top had into the model, this was an inspiration for my Super Carp model but mine is not nearly as nice.

I just relized I don't have any unedited frames of the super carp online, so here is what I actually captured, in camera before layering a ton of effects work on top
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/255/19618699761_7ee60f6533_c.jpg
And you you zoom in on the original size you can see my reflection in his eyes

MPfist0 wrote:

and there is one inexplicable mirrored shot at 3:44 that lasts less than a second, but these are minor flaws.

That shot was mirrored because I messed up screen direction when I shot it, and the direction the minifigs were moving did not make sense in the space I was trying to create, I really agonized over that choice but I think flipping it was the right choice, you seem to be the first person to notice, or at least say anything. You've got eagle eyes mini/smile

Man... please excuse my language, but holy *%^## cr*p!

I liked the fast pacing... as someone previously said it makes it easier to watch several times and really take in the details. I read about audio issues before watching, and some point after viewing a fews times I was asking myself, hmmnn... what audio issues? You did a great job with any issues you had--nothing jumped out to me, and I can be really picky about audio.

Your sets were, and I hate to over use "epic", but jeez...  they were the definition of epic. The opening island shot, those corridors/futuristic settings, the city/street traffic scenes... even the miniature skyline set looked HUGE. And that's just to name a few of the highlights. I saw a lot of interesting building techniques in there that will be fun to steal. mini/wink

I admire that you stuck with this and finished it... that's a long project and serious demonstration of commitment/dedication. You're like getting all Francis-Ford-Coppola on us. I am inspired!!!

This is bound to be a cult classic.  mini/mrgreen

Woodrow Village Films
youtube.com/woodrowvillage

Woodrow Village wrote:

This is bound to be a cult classic.  mini/mrgreen

Cult classic? I'd say it's beyond that point already! mini/lol

Thanks so much Woodrow,  as far as the sound goes around 3:01 is the worst of the sound issues, you can tell the two characters have been recorded on two different mics in two  very different setups four years apart. The fact you didn't notice means the 60 hours I spent with my sound engineer were well spent, I learned so much from him.

As far as building tricks, steal away, I've definitely seen a thing or two in your films I plan to steal mini/smile

Wow, that was really great! mini/bigsmile
Loved the lighting and the sets. And, the story was so original, too.
Congrats for finishing this after so many years!

I found the production thread for this a while back and was blown away by the still shots I was seeing. Seeing you finish this after all this time is so motivating and the fact that the film is so well done makes it all that much better. I was absolutely astonished at the lighting and sets..like..seriously..they were amazing. I'm building a city set at the moment and seeing how detailed and well done yours was I'm almost embarrassed to shoot on mine. mini/lol This film, from the time it took to the sheer quality of it is just absolute inspiration. There's just so much to get out of this. Congratulations.

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Edmeier Animator wrote:

I'm building a city set at the moment and seeing how detailed and well done yours was I'm almost embarrassed to shoot on mine. mini/lol

Don't give up on your city shot, shortly after I finished animating the brick built mushroom cloud I was really patting myself on the back, and then a week later NXT released Pokeballin' 2 with it's vastly better mushroom cloud ending the short, I was so sad that I had to follow that act and the mushroom clouds seems to go largely ignored, but it was the right shot for the film and that's what's important, make sure you have the right shots for your film first and foremost! Once you get that, then you can start to push the bounds.

Very nicely done, been a while since I've had the time to sit down and watch a brickfilm. It's been a few years since I had the opportunity to watch one of your films.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Wow, long time no see, I recall back in the Brickfilms.com days your review of True Love Waits helped it gain the traction that it did, glad you got to see my progression as a film maker. mini/smile

Hey, how did I miss this? Really great job! Pretty much nothing to say other than good job finishing something you started so long ago and having it turn out so well! I liked it quite a bit. I thought your varied and impressive sets really sell this and take it to the next level also.

Good job its top quality mini/smile

Welcome back, Robukka! mini/bigsmile

This film must have a mysterious ability to bring people back to the site, or something.

sillypenta wrote:

This film must have a mysterious ability to bring people back to the site, or something.

From across the vastness of time and space, one dimension to another, it beckons to us.

All that you know is at an end.