Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Blambo Part II (July 3, 2015)

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Blambo Part II by Logan Dwight and Ian Hirschfeld.

Blambo Part II, also known by its full title The Chronicles of Blambo Part II: The Epic Battle of Ameripan vs Super Chindia - Special Edition Director's Cut, is a comedy action brickfilm by Logan Dwight and Ian Hirschfeld. It was made in 2005 for the Heroes and Villains contest, and ultimately placed 9th. It was also nominated for two awards in the 2005 Brickfilming Achievement in Motion Picture Arts.

Watch Blambo Part II on Youtube

http://i.imgur.com/7L7H0CF.png

SPOILERY DISCUSSION BELOW!

Sometimes, when a film lacks in technical skill, it makes up for it in cheese. Blambo Part II is one of those films. Every second of this film is over the top, starting with our titular hero riding a missile into a building to reach his destination, to ripping off an enemy's head and throwing the head like a frisbee to decapitate another enemy. This film is one of the earlier examples of a "cult film" in the brickfilms community. It's technical qualities may have held back Blambo Part II from being remembered, if it wasn't for its memorable, ridiculous and quotable dialog.

MOTHERLAND!

What are your thoughts on Blambo: Part II? What did you like about it? What do you think about the status of "cult films"? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Blambo Part II (July 3, 2015)

I suppose I'm rather late in writing this, but here goes.

I'm not sure the apparent lack of technical skill is negative in this particular film.  On the contrary, I think that the low production value are deliberate, or at least intentional.  Everything--bad effects and animation, the cheesy dialogue and over-the-top voices, the ridiculous names and action sequences, the over-the-top-ness of the script and deadpan mock-serious tone, and even the over-long title combine to give BLAMBO PART II an almost Hot Shots-esque 80s action parody feel.  Individually, these things would not be especially memorable, but they work together to create something greater than the sum of its parts.

Besides, I find that a few of the effects actually look surprisingly good, considering its age and the general tone (the scene in which Blambo falls out of the plane, for example, or the animation of the countries at the beginning).

Incidentally, was there ever a BLAMBO PART I?  Or was the "PART II" just part of the title, a la Star Wars Episode IV?

On a completely unrelated note, "You mother-loving daisy-pickers" is now my new favourite insult.

MOTHERLAND!]

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Blambo Part II (July 3, 2015)

Yeah, 'Part II' is just part of the joke. This is a really funny film that's very well executed for what it wants to achieve. I think the Hot Shots of brickfilming comparison is quite fitting.