Topic: Lego 'Good Morning' (from Singing in the Rain)

Directory Link

Lego 'Good Morning' (from Singing in the Rain

Youtube

A Tribute to Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O' Connor in Lego, as they sing and dance to 'Good Morning' from MGM's Singing in the Rain.

Last edited by William Osborne (May 30, 2016 (12:20am))

Re: Lego 'Good Morning' (from Singing in the Rain)

Good Morning William!
(at least, it is here in my home town right now)

I enjoyed your animation of the classic "Good Morning."
You sir are braver than I, tackling a song and dance number. I'm sure it was a challenge to animate and get the timing right on everything. Also, nice job on the mouth movements. Most people don't try to tackle that (either it's too difficult or they don't have the software for it). But the best way to learn, is by doing!

I'm sure you're learning a lot by practicing and making films. I encourage you to branch out just a little further... mini/yes and increase your frame rate. It may seem like a daunting task taking even more pictures and making even smaller movements for each animation, but YOU will be pleased with the results. Trust me, I was in the same boat. I was working at 10fps and I thought, "look how good this is!" And would watch other films and think, "look how much better theirs are!" When I finally broke down and upped my frames per second, I was really pleased with the result. If you have any questions on how to tackle that, either because of software hurdles to overcome or just need a confidence boost, you can send me a personal message. Or join us in the chat section of the forums. We talk about all sorts of things. Not just animation!

It was a worthy addition to your brickfilmography!
-Nate Swihart

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Good evening, Nate!
(From the UK).

I am so pleased you enjoyed my film, it means a lot to me.

Since I stared making films last year, I have increased my frame rate quite rapidly. I started off with only 4fps. When I made this film, I was working at 7fps, and now I am currently working at 10. I think that the average brickfilm-maker does 15fps. I will gradually work up to that in segments.

I hope you enjoy my future films!
-William Osborne

Indeed the framerate is low, the movement choppy, and the camera always leaving too much space over the minifig's head.
But, I agree with Nate, you are braver than us in deciding to adapt a musical number in this medium (especially one as gorgeous as Good Morning), and the mouth movement is quite accurate. Also, I really like Singing in the Rain.

A few things that may help you in future:
It's not interesting to see large portions of the frame where nothing happens (like lot of space above the heads, unless it's on purpose, but then again, if it's on purpose, something is happening), and in here it caused that sometimes you left out parts where we were supposed to see things going on: there are some parts where you can't see the feets of the minifigures, and since they're dancing, you might want us to see it. Try to frame your objects appropriately, because, being a movie, it's important to decide what you're going to show. Also, be careful with lighting, use more than one source to light sets and characters properly, without making them appear flat.
About the framerate, increasing the speed is not enough, I've seen great animation at 10 fps and awful animation at 24 fps: what you should strive for is to get the movement right at the framerate you feel more comfortable working with.

That's all. Also, thanks for adapting that scene: it's been some time since I last saw the movie, I always enjoyed that part especially, it feels good to see it again.

Hi.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always welcome positive feedback.

-William Osborne