Topic: Wife Beater: Whiskey and $#@%

Directory Link

Wife Beater: Whiskey and $#@%

YooTooB

*WARNING*
Contains strong, adult language... and lots of it.
Please just move along if you don't like that type of stuff. Thanks.

Americans... dontcha just hate 'em? Is it better to be full of whiskey or be full of bull?

Featuring a very special celebrity cameo appearance.

Last edited by Woodrow Village (November 1, 2015 (12:59pm))

Woodrow Village Films
youtube.com/woodrowvillage

Re: Wife Beater: Whiskey and $#@%

Woodrow Village wrote:

Featuring a very special celebrity cameo appearance.

I am offensive and I find this Christian.

In all seriousness: as ever, very well animated and edited, I'm just not sure I understand the jokes. I mean, I think I get them, I just don't find them funny. But keep making them; whether people agree with your content or not, it's great to have someone who challenges expectations of brickfilming/LEGO as purely for children.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I am offended and I am now going to dial up the local police and have you incarcerated for your inappropriate youtube video. youll hear from my lawyers.

With Love, LSF

Ok Lego Animations
My YouTube Channel

jampot wrote:

it's great to have someone who challenges expectations of brickfilming/LEGO as purely for children

He's not exactly the first to do that, you know.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:
jampot wrote:

it's great to have someone who challenges expectations of brickfilming/LEGO as purely for children

He's not exactly the first to do that, you know.

Of course he isn't, but there are still few who do, and even fewer who do so but actually have decent animation skills.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Keshen is the man... I'm not even in his league!

Woodrow Village Films
youtube.com/woodrowvillage

Why do people think if it's not full of swearing and dirty jokes it's "children" comedy? A few off colour jokes would be okay, I guess, But cuss-ridden dirty comedy is just immature, I think.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Smocktopus wrote:

Why do people think if it's not full of swearing and dirty jokes it's "children" comedy?

I don't think that's necessarily the case. You can have adult-oriented comedy that's obscene or obscenity free, but you can't have child-oriented comedy that's obscene. I think a lot of young teenagers falsely draw from that the distinction that because of this, swearing is "grown up", and seems to dominate comedy for that audience (this is just my observation from when I was back in high school). Of course, that then polarises their opinion of clean comedy too. And a lot of brickfilmers are teenagers, so...maybe that's something to think about.

But back on the subject of this brickfilm, honestly Woodrow, Keshen's level of animation isn't inaccessible, and your brickfilming skills are actually pretty good. What you need to focus on a bit more is story: while some of your animations are funny, and I personally have no problem with your use of vulgarity, I just think your stories need to be more streamlined. I'm not saying a three-act structure, because that's very hard to do in 2 or 3 minutes, but the idea is something to bear in mind. If it's based around a joke, then a clear build-up and payoff, and don't overplay the punchline. A great source of inspiration as far as short structure goes is RocketJump/Freddiew. Before moving into longform projects, they mostly did one and a half, to four minute short films that, while basically existing to allow them to show off their vfx skills, had a clear sense of flow and rhythm.

One thing that I normally find helps is getting someone else to read the script before starting animating. I didn't with Avengers Tower: Invasion or Black Panther and they sucked; I did with Doctor Strange, Deadpool in Mexico and most of my Scooby-Doo videos and was far more satisfied with the end result. There were lots of things I'd missed which my friends were able to pick out and say was strong or weak about a script. I think doing so would really help you refine the stories and humour in your brickfilms, which when your actual animation is so strong is the area you need to work on most.

Hope this helps!

As I have said before, I never use strong language, myself in any of my films, but this however didn't seem too rude, (its the 's' word, not something like 'f' or 'c'). However, I can't help but feel, like Jampot said, there wasn't really much of a storyline. I think you focus too much on shocking people, that you neglect the most vital quality of any Brickfilm, the story. I do think, though, that I don't try and make my films purely for children, I try to make them for all ages, so do a lot of Brickfilmers. It only makes sense that there are different styles of Brickfilms. There is no reason for you to stop making films like this, if you want to, as long as you mention the strong language, which you do already.

Now, about the animation; as always, the animation is brilliant, however, I did find the way the woman was constantly moving was slightly strange. Not bad at all, though.

Last edited by William Osborne (November 3, 2015 (08:49am))

Didn't split the posts here into a new thread since a majority of them at least mentioned the film, but if y'all want to discuss this topic in a manner that has little or nothing to do with this particular film, please feel free to continue the discussion in this thread, or a similar one, or even start a new discussion about the related topics in General Filmmaking. This is a sincere request, not a passive-aggressive jab at people going off-topic. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I thought the animation and cinematography were quite good. I liked the way it looked.
My biggest criticism is that it really wasn't that funny for a comedy (and it wasn't the profanity that undermined it). It had potential, but the jokes were underdeveloped. It seemed like you set up jokes without ever giving the punchline, (except for the "that's what's wrong w/'murica part). I dunno; that's just my personal take on the film.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal