Topic: What was the FIRST movie you watched?

Nostalgia came to me when I saw Star Wars VII, because the original Star Wars was my first movie going experience, and because of that I aways have a soft spot for SW.  More later on that, but I was wondering what the people on the forum watched on their first visits to the movies?

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Re: What was the FIRST movie you watched?

Spider-Man 2

On a plane, it was on. I loved it.

First movie in the theater?
I was just talking to my parents about this after seeing The Force Awakens and we decided that my first movie in theaters was Revenge of the Sith. I've never had an issue with the prequels because I grew up on them, but that doesn't mean I don't know that they are pretty bad.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Doug's 1st Movie
What a total heap of junk.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Pixar's A Bug's Life

Can't really remember anything from when I went to see it, but then again, I was only about 2 1/2...

Somehow, I'm pretty sure I can remember sitting in the seat and eating a bag of Swedish Fish (weird huh? mini/tongue )

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

It's not a good. It is definitely not a good.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Mulan
My parents took me when I was young, so I don't remember the experience.  I also got a Shan Yu (the hun leader) toy from a happy meal afterwards.

I believe it was Titanic. My mom went to see it right after I was born and took me with her.

Shrek
I must have been about 2 or 3 when my parents bought the VHS of Shrek. Watching that is one, if not my oldest memory I can recall. I remember getting upset when Princess Fiona's singing made that bird blow up mini/lol Oh, but what a film. It still is one of my favourite films of all time.

If you're wondering what the first film was that I saw in the theatres, well, to be honest, unlike most human beings of the 21st century, I have never been, so when I see The Force Awakens on the 29th, it will be my first ever experience in a movie theatre.

Last edited by William Osborne (December 22, 2015 (05:47pm))

I think it may have been Barney's great adventure (i was young, ok). Either that or Toy Story or a Bug's Life.

My first movie experience that I have memories of was Star Wars episode 4. I remember watching a VHS recording in the early 00's, one that I still own to this day. Im sure it was my first time watching it, I would have been 6-8. It felt familiar to me though. Like how a movie should be. It just felt right. I guess the nostalgia I hold to it is why I think episode 4 is better than episode 5, even though they're both great films. I never saw any of the prequels in theatres, despite being in the age that grew up with them. I tolerate them because they're Star Wars, but I was truly raised an 80's kid, with my movie and music tastes. I never really went to the theatres much. All my movies I own were recordings on VHS, and I still own the VHS player to the day.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Finding Nemo was the first movie I ever saw in the theater. Before then, I'm pretty sure Toy Story was the movie I was obsessed with.

First movie I ever saw was The Lion King at a drive in. Drive in's are a great way to see new movies when you have a four month old baby; the baby can make noise and you don't annoy anyone else. mini/tongue

I really cannot recall which movie was the first I saw in theaters.  My parents still seem to have brought me to theaters even when I was near the begging of what I can remember (which is three for me).

Although, the only one I can remember clearly and date properly was Star Wars Episode I.  I had already seen the other Star Wars movie on VHS I think multiple times.  My first time seeing the originals I was too young to remember, so I feel as if I have always loved Star Wars.

I was too young to realize the significance of Episode I being the first Star Wars film in so long, and I also had trouble learning to read for quite some time, so I probably couldn't even read the opening crawl.

I remember we got to the theater rather early, and we waited through a lot of per-trailer advertisements for Coke, and I can clearly remember the opening titles and seeing the red ship appear on the screen.

I remember really liking it, and I still love it even today.  My brother and I also managed to obtain every single Episode I LEGO set released that year.

Somehow, I managed to miss that the film's subtitle was The Phantom Menace until after the DVD for Episode II came out.  I was reading something mentioning the film and Phantom Menace sounded like the title of  horror film.  That probably had something to do with my difficultly in learning to read for so long.  (at least I can read well enough now)

These are so fun to watch.  When I made the thread, I had the first movie theater experience in mind, but if you want to tell home video stories too, that's also just as fine.   Or, you can share your first from both categories.

The first movie I actually watched was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971).  It would air once a year on television in the second half of the 1970s, and it's a real treat to watch as your a kid and it's all magic to you.  We had pretty strict bedtimes at my house (8:30), so to stay up until 10 PM was a read treat!

Keep in mind that this is in a time before VCRs, and you just couldn't watch a movie any time you wanted.  (We got our first VCR in 1986).  To see a TV movie for kids was a real treat.  It was also tradition then to show The Wizard of Oz at Easter, and King Kong and Mighty Joe Young on Thanksgiving Day.  People would gather and share the movie going experience across the nation together.

Also, Squid, that is quite a feat amassing every episode I set.  I have quite a few myself, including the Mos Espa Podrace (the chrome 1x2 grille elements are used in HOO episode 2's ambulance).  One of the podrace boxes (there were several boxes within the main box, for each podracer) I still didn't open because I had the Anakin as a separate set.  I also had the original Slave I.  It's put together right now.

Another thing about Episode I I got hooked on was Decipher's "Young Jedi" card game.  It's along the lines of Magic: The Gathering, but with the simplicity of Pokemon card game.  Some of the expansions are a bit rare, but you can find many of the first two expansions for relly cheap on eBay.  If you like card games, I suggest this one.  Buy a Menace of Darth Maul and Jedi Council starter set, and a box of boosters from each of those two expansions.  "The BAttle Of Naboo" gets a bit more pricey.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (December 23, 2015 (07:09am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Astro Boy (2009)
Yeeeah.

I've never been inside a theater, as I live in a somewhat rural (depending on who you ask) area and the theaters nearby don't usually play anything I would want to see in a theater so usually just get DVDs The first movie I saw was probably 'The Sound Of  Music' but It might have been the animated 'Charlotte's Web' as those were the first DVDs my family owned.
It's possible that I saw a movie on VHS before that but all I remember from that  long ago are short kid's videos (ie Kidsongs, Richard Scary, Dr Seuss, etc..)

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

It rather pains me to say this, but the first movie I saw in a theater was Mousehunt (1997). My mom took me to see it for my birthday that year. I wasn't that old (and haven't seen it since), so I don't really remember it that well. I do remember being really excited and having a good time despite the... quality... of the movie.

Going to the theater remained a rather rare and noteworthy event until just a couple years ago though actually. Now days I get there fairly frequently. Still enjoy it usually. I'm fairly picky on the movies I spend money on at the theater though.

theres no way im gonna remember what movie like ever, but I know i grew up on A Gay Purr-ee, Mumfy, Aristocats, and Kiki's Delivery Service. u kno hipster cartoons. So i'm gonna say one of those probably.

but i distinctly remember the first thing i saw in cinemas was The Incredibles. i was an extremely sheltered 6 year old and we were supposed to go see the polar express because its a g rated movie but my dad took us to the incredibles instead and i thought it was pretty cool.

Thomas And The Magic Railroad was a movie I would watch everyday as a toddler. I loved it.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

Thomas And The Magic Railroad was a movie I would watch everyday as a toddler. I loved it.

I must have watched that movie a couple hundred times when I was little, it was my favorite. I'm amazed the VHS tape didn't break.