Re: Heron Animation - My free stop-motion capture software and web app

I'm so sorry it took me so long to respond. Soon after I left my comment, the software began to work once more. It continued to do so until the day before yesterday. I was deleting a bunch of frames, and once I got to the first frame, It wouldn't delete. I could still take pictures, but the first frame couldn't even be selected. I quit the software hoping that it was just a glitch, but once I reopened it I was greeted by a blank white screen for about a minute. After some waiting, Heron opened, but continued to load that cube symbol. It wouldn't recognize my webcam, instead, it said 'select device'.

Hopefully this is informative. I love this software, and hope that this bug can be easily fixed.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll investigate this.
Development has been slow this past few months, and will probably still be slow for a few months, but I'm hoping to get some bug fixing done soon.

This is the only program that works for me on Windows 8.1, so I'm loving it. Thanks a ton!

Is the software DSLR compatible yet? If not, do you know when it will?

Glad you like it, Robert!

It is not DSLR compatible yet. Actually it is unlikely that it will ever be, that seems a bit out of reach.

Hi, I'm using Linux Mint 18 64-bit (Ubuntu 16.04) I found your animation software while looking for stopmotion software for linux. I have a Logitech C270 webcam. When I open the program, it detects my webcam, but it doesn't open it, there's no video. The camera light blinks for a split second but the picture doesn't show. The resolution shows as 0x0.

Here is the terminal output.

http://pastebin.com/FAVhAvSV

Any ideas? I would love to use your software, but I can't right now.

Hmm, if I select the video device a bunch of times it detects my camera...

Yeah, it works if I de-select my camera and re-select it a bunch of times.

Thanks for reporting the problem.
The terminal output will be useful to find its source.
I'm glad it finally works, I'll investigate to find a good solution though.

First, thanks Aiwha for your work on this, and for providing us with a new and really cool looking alternative to the cureently aging, though classic, choices of software. Long story short, Helium Frog has basically given up on me, and I've downloaded Heron as a possible alternative. (What is it with animators and animals? MonkeyJam, Helium Frog, Heron...)

Anyway, if I had but one suggestion, it would be to allow 1080p exporting. Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems like the max is 720p. Is this currently in the works, and if not, is there a special reason why not? It seems to me that it wouldn't be that much harder to add another export setting, but I may be missing something here.

So far, I quite like what you've done, but the 720p limit is the one thing making me more hesitant to truly embrace it.

Thanks for your feedback.

More export options are planned for the next update (or the one after, my priority is implementing a save and load system).
The current export resolution is based on the resolution of the video feed provided by the webcam.
Does your webcam actually provides a 1080p feed?
If so, I'll have to look into that.

Well, it's a Logitech C910, which can record in 1080p, and easily take pictures that large. But lo and behold, it can only stream/video chat (With Skype, for instance) 720p. I wonder if that streaming limit is the problem...

I've done a ton of 1080p recording through Helium Frog, so I know it can work, but will do some more testing with Heron today.
Thanks for the quick reply!

It might be.
I take snapshots from the video feed, I do not actually take pictures with the webcam. In a few month I'll be able to actively work again on the software, I'll probably have massive changes in the way I work with the webcam.

Something that would be very helpful to add is a way to be able to control the camera (Focus, white balance, ect, ect) within the softare.

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

We really don't need that. The Logitech Webcam Software works perfectly fine for controlling cameras, and it would be a pain to code that, especially for the variety of webcams that are out there.

After using Heron for THAC, I can say that I'm quite pleased with it. It looks sleek, and it contains all the essentials. I'd certainly recommend it. Allowing 1080p (and/or higher) would be the only 'needed' upgrade at this point, but due to the way this pulls frames from the camera feed, that may not be possible for now.*

A huge thank you to everyone behind Heron Animation. You guys are great.

*According to Logitech, and the way I understand things, the C910 can only live-feed 720p, due to limits on the USB bandwidth. It does allow higher than that with pictures and recordings, but not live-feed. Newer technologies (USB 3.0) may have solved that going forward. However, unless Heron is reprogrammed to grab still frames, instead of frames from the live-feed, it's impossible to get anything higher. Even the C920 is plagued by this, as it does not use a new enough version of USB.

That is indeed, Sir Snorlax, something I would love to see directly in the program. But as Pritchard Studio, the main problem iw that it would have to be coded for each brand, and I am not even sure that they all allow access to their webcam like that. I'll keep it in mind, but that's not a priority fir now.

Thanks for the kind words Pritchard, it's really appreciated!
I'll soon be able to resume the development of Heron, massive changes are planned (at least in the background), so do not expect it too soon. But that will allow saving and loading projects and more!

Unfortunately I don't think it is possible to take a frame directly instead of grabing a still from the video stream in Javascript. It bugs me that I can't provide 1080p support due to that, but I haven't found a way around for now.

One glitch that I have had happen (only twice) is that once you play the video, the play button will say pause, even
after the video is over. I'm using the windows 32 bit version.

Interesting.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll work on it.

The glitch happened to me again.
Here's a video I took of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJemqMAUgEc

Thanks, this is useful.

Did you at any point move or delete a frame?
Could you try downloading the desktop version and tell mi if the problem still occurs?