Topic: C920 gain auto-adjusting problem

I've been using the C920 for a few years with no issues, but now all of a sudden the gain setting has decided to automatically slowly creep all the way to the left, even with all auto settings turned off. If I drag it back to where I want it, it just decides to go left again. Anyone ever encountered anything like this?

Re: C920 gain auto-adjusting problem

Yeah, I started having this issue (as well as the horizontal grey bars of death) a little over a year ago.

I never was able to fix it (one of the reasons I ended up switching cameras), but one workaround I found was to keep the lights further away from the set than usual, but move them in once the sentient gain slider had made its decision. For me, anyway, the slider wanted the picture to be darker than I did; you could do this in reverse if the gain typically goes the other way.

Hope this helps

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I haven't had this issue as of yet. Every day, before I start animating, all the settings go back to default, which means I have to keep adjusting everything manually. All the settings are mostly manual only, so I haven't had this issue. Does your software have an auto option for gain, and if so, does the auto keep turning itself on?

Hmm...That's odd...Haven't had that happen yet. Did you contact them?

Are you using the Dragonframe webcam settings or the Logitech software? I know that the logitech is overwritten by Dragonframe when you're animating with it, so maybe it has something to do with that, and the possible fact that it's not on manual gain? (There's a specific switch for it in Logitech settings). You probably checked all this though already.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yeah, I've been dealing with this forever.

Basically you set it how you want in the Webcam Controller advanced settings, hit Save, and reopen the window (last step is optional but I keep it open just to make sure it doesn't change and to tweak it for new shots). It shouldn't move after that (unless you touch it again)

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (July 2, 2017 (03:10pm))

Haven't had this happen for me. Though if what mighty says is true might just be because I only have the basic controller part with just focus open once I start animating. My only suggestions are turn off rightlight, turn off the auto (which you did) and have the latest webcam software release.

I am using the Logitech software. Thank you very much Mighty; hitting save as soon as I set what I want seems to work.

Oh yeah, make sure everything is set to manual (so uncheck all the checks). Sure, thing! I hope it does help you out (it took me so long to figure that out but I'm so glad I did as it's saved me so much xD )

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

Yeah, I started having this issue (as well as the horizontal grey bars of death) a little over a year ago.

I never was able to fix it (one of the reasons I ended up switching cameras), but one workaround I found was to keep the lights further away from the set than usual, but move them in once the sentient gain slider had made its decision. For me, anyway, the slider wanted the picture to be darker than I did; you could do this in reverse if the gain typically goes the other way.

Hope this helps

I just got a Logitech C920 and DragonFrame for my brickfilms and I have been noticing these so-called "grey bars of death" that slowly move down the image as I'm animating. They're very faint but they still cause an ugly flickering effect. What causes these grey bars to appear, and is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

"It is an axiom that no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To wish to do it is reason enough.” - Aldo Leopold

Keep the gain all the way down, and move the exposure up. If you lower exposure and increase the gain, the bars of death will appear very heavily on your bricks.

Sunspace wrote:
FeinsteinFilms wrote:

Hope this helps

I just got a Logitech C920 and DragonFrame for my brickfilms and I have been noticing these so-called "grey bars of death" that slowly move down the image as I'm animating. They're very faint but they still cause an ugly flickering effect. What causes these grey bars to appear, and is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

Thanks DudeBrick, very helpful!

"It is an axiom that no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To wish to do it is reason enough.” - Aldo Leopold