Topic: PITCH Part 1

Directory Link

PITCH

YouTube

What horrors lay aboard PITCH...?

Story by - Sam Richardson & Gareth Pugh
Music/Sound - Motion Array
Directed/Animated/Edited by - Sam Richardson

So I'm back...sort of. I can't believe it's been 5 years since my last stop motion! I had been thinking about a return to brickfilming for a long time and a few days ago I decided to take the plunge (those who follow me on Twitter will have seen this coming).
This is actually based on a story Gareth and I were working on back in 2013/2014 with the same title, and follows the same core premise.
I may well continue this depending on how well received it is.  No promises though, but we'll see...

Last edited by Saminatorger (April 3, 2020 (02:57am))

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Re: PITCH Part 1

Welcome back!

Those five years have gone quickly! For that matter, I still fondly remember voice acting for The Package III and that's over 7 1/2 years old!  Time flies!

It's a crime that this film isn't getting any love here on BiM. It certainly deserves it.

One of the things I most love is, strangely, the number of levers/buttons he has to push. While he doesn't seem extremely panicked at first, the animation alone makes me feel like he simply has no idea/little idea what he's doing and has to guess each time. That makes his situation all the most stressful.

The only real nit-pick I had with the film is that the events seem to indicate the ship went into some sort of hyperdrive around 0:45, yet the room he is in feels far more like a messhall than a bridge/command center. That, and since we never get to see "forward" of those controls he is at, we don't know if there's a viewport or screen or anything that would help us understand the purpose of the room.

Like I said, nitpick.

The lighting at 0:45 is the perfect balance of low, spooky lighting, yet with plenty of visibility for the audience. The orange lights in the corner are also perfect. (How did you do those? I assume they are LEDs.)

I'm a bit conflicted about the development at 1:14. The shot at 1:05 provides a haunting enough threat, and that quieter desperation would have been fine alone. The 1:14 twist does amp up the immediate threat, but without any payoff in seeing the what or why behind that, it feels a bit superfluous. If anything, I'd have picked one of the two threats that would have maintained the desperate ending without acting against each other.

Spoiler (click to read)

Option 1: Instead of the creature attacking, leave him alone and adrift to die. Option 2: Have him get really close to a colony/earth/another ship/something to give him hope, but then have the creature attack and snatch away that chance at life at the last second.

Maybe I'm wrong! The film as-is is still really good! Yet, I feel as it is, the duel threats work against each other to slightly diminish the emotional weight of each other. Does that make any sense, or am I an idiot?

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Welcome back!....

Great to be back!!

Glad you liked the video man, it's been an idea I've had for ages now and I'm so glad to have finally made a start on it!

In response to your feedback, most of the points raised will be down to the fact I'm hoping to expand on it.  I have a rough story arc in mind, so I really didn't want to give away too much just yet.  Also full disclosure, I didn't actually have any script for this, just a concept and an old screenplay which has been largely changed.  I had a rough idea in mind and just kinda went for it (future parts will have at least some kind of written outline haha).
There's a few details people don't seem to have noticed just yet, which is actually quite fun because I can keep everyone guessing a little with what's gonna happen if I can find time for Part 2!
I will say with the set that it's meant to be more of a derelict freighter than a sleek starship, but again, you'll hopefully see more if I do any future parts.

Oh also, the corner lights are some old illuminating LEGO bricks from the 80s.  Has a power bank and everything!

PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

I really liked those two little lights on the wall.
Welcome back.

Squid wrote:

I really liked those two little lights on the wall.
Welcome back.

Cheers man!  Those are some old official Lego bricks from the 80s that amazingly still work!

(Loved Welcome to Darkmoor BTW)

PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

First off welcome back huge fan of The Package films.
There should be no question if you should expand on this. That little tid bit was enough to peek my interest (and I think I can speak for others) and just enough to draw people in with really not giving to much or anything away.
Really hope to see more on this and I agree with Pritchard why isn't this getting the love it deserves on here?

Antonio Ferrara wrote:

First off welcome back huge fan of The Package films.
There should be no question if you should expand on this. That little tid bit was enough to peek my interest (and I think I can speak for others) and just enough to draw people in with really not giving to much or anything away.
Really hope to see more on this and I agree with Pritchard why isn't this getting the love it deserves on here?

Thanks man, much appreciated!!

PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon