Topic: Is this a bad time to get into brickfilming?

As a longtime viewer of brickfilms I have always had an interest in making my own. I am worried about how COPPA and the changes to YouTube will prevent growth for smaller channels, especialy if their films are not directly made for youngsters.

Youtube man

Re: Is this a bad time to get into brickfilming?

The COPPA law has been in effect since 2000, yet, in the case of YouTube, is only now effecting the platform because of the recent court case that revealed Google's intentional overstepping of the law. For videos uploaded to YouTube after January 1st, 2020; the use of child-appealing media (cartoon characters, toys, figures, etc.) will have to be marked as 'made for kids,' and be acceptable for viewing by persons under 13 years of age.

Here at Bricks in Motion, we've had a general policy to never restrict content, so long as it follows the site guidelines (which are COPPA compliant) and is correctly self-labeled when linked. Strong language, violence, and even sexual themes are allowed - but only if acknowledged with the sliders on the 'submit film' page when linking. The changes to the YouTube platform only effect that website. Bricks in Motion has always supported videos linked from other sites such as Vimeo, as well as YouTube. (Which is the most popular)

In my personal experience - brickfilms benefited under the old YouTube about a decade ago - when Google employees manually chose the homepage featured videos. Brickfilms would often be featured on this page (one of mine even was) and, generally, Lego content would reach a large audience. Although the community has remained strong - with new people joining all the time - exposure, unfortunately, has declined. 2017's adpocalypse and Elsagate controversies hurt brickfilmers videos even more.

TL:DR - Things have been getting worse and worse for smaller channels aspiring to reach a larger audience - regardless of content.

I'd say that the only 'bad time' to get into brickfilming is when you, yourself, don't have enough free time to do so. Before YouTube, brickfilmers had to upload their videos to personal websites and forums for their audience to manually download and view - often on slow, pre Wi-Fi connections. Streaming and social media platforms, like YouTube, were a benefit in some ways, and a detriment in others.

My advice? Make brickfilms. If it's content that won't comply with YouTube's new restrictions, then you'll have to upload elsewhere. However, YouTube still is the largest and most beneficial platform for brickfilmers. Don't censor yourself creatively, but if you want to upload to YouTube specifically, you'll have to make sure your content is appropriate.

Otherwise, feel free to make brickfilms and upload them to other websites. Linking them here will guarantee some exposure amongst the brickfilming community at large. mini/smile

Happy brickfilming!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

If you're wondering if you should start brickfilming or not, try it out. There is no pressure to share you're work with the world if you don't want to. I have plenty of stuffs that I haven't posted.

However, if you do want to, don't worry about the changes on YouTube too much. Yes, they are annoying for us brickfilmers, but don't make that a reason to stop you. Just post you're videos, follow the rules, and don't worry about it. Brickfilming is about having fun, not getting views and comments! (although they definitely can be helpful sometimes)

In short, go ahead and start. It's fun.

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us." - Romans 8:18

Make brickfilms! YouTube shouldn't affect that. Unless you motivations are strictly to become youtube famous. If they are, you probably wouldn't be famous even if YouTube wasn't changing.

There are plenty of outlets to share your brickfilms besides YouTube. Brickfilming is an art and a hobby and nothing should take that away from you. It should be a reward in and of itself.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

As far as I am concerned, usually the best part of any video is the story (admittedly not all films fall into the "need a story" or even a plot territory). So one way to "ease into" brickfilming and also develop your story telling skills is to make non-animated brickfilms.

What this means is that you set up your set to the best of your ability (or budget) and then just take one photo for each shot. This way, you can practice telling a story and editing (and probably voice acting since getting performers can be difficult). Then you can decide if you really like making brickfilms or prefer to just watch them. And if you like it, you can then go on to more elaborate projects that require more time and effort.

And others have already addressed the YouTube issue - they are the biggest, but not the only player in town.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.