Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

rioforce wrote:
Legobytes wrote:

Ah what a shame, had an idea for a story involving an evil scientist

I'd recommend you keep your original idea but change the virus to not be COVID-19.

There's nothing saying that you can't make a story about a virus, but using real life events and viruses can be insensitive to the victims of the virus, especially during the current time where COVID-19 is affecting many people around the world. Because of this and the fact that we don't want to encourage the spread of misinformation regarding this, references to real life tragedies and events are not allowed. But as long as you keep it strictly fiction, you're good.

Hmmm you make a very good point, will have to come up with a new name for the virus, think I'll look through horror films for inspiration.

All entries must be primarily composed of stop-motion animation. 3D, Flash, or other animation techniques may be used to in addition to stop-motion as long as the finished product is at least roughly 70% stop-motion animation.

Is a video recording with people allowed in the final 30%?

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

This looks like a fun project to do, can't wait.

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

Is a video recording with people allowed in the final 30%?

Sure, some of my favorite horror brickfilms have live action shots. Live action bits can give the film an eerie vibe if they are done correctly.

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

That's brilliant!! I've got a new story idea now which I think will work very well

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

Aha! This contest has given me a needed dose of inspiration on a film idea that I wasn't quite sure where to go with. Horror(ish) it is!

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

I just finished BRAWL, so this will be giving me another fun project to work on! Would a sort of comedic horror film work? For example, a Brickfilm about pants that are alive?

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

JuiceBoxStudios wrote:

Would a sort of comedic horror film work? For example, a Brickfilm about pants that are alive?

yeah! go ahead and do it!

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

sebas wrote:
JuiceBoxStudios wrote:

Would a sort of comedic horror film work? For example, a Brickfilm about pants that are alive?

yeah! go ahead and do it!

Okay! Great!

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

If any of you post progress of your films on social media, be sure to tag @BricksInMotion on Twitter or @_BricksInMotion on Instagram and we may feature your post!

YouTubeTwitterInstagram
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

I just saw this and am hoping I can finish my current project in time to participate. I was curious about the timing however and was wondering if perhaps I'm reading a typo:
The contest runs from July 6- August 31st, but the earliest submissions are accepted by July 2nd. Did you mean August 2nd?
Also, in the Q&A you mention the contest is three months, but it's actually 2.
I am not trying to be a nuisance just clarifying the timing better.
Thanks!

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

Legogiftotheworld wrote:

I just saw this and am hoping I can finish my current project in time to participate. I was curious about the timing however and was wondering if perhaps I'm reading a typo:
The contest runs from July 6- August 31st, but the earliest submissions are accepted by July 2nd. Did you mean August 2nd?
Also, in the Q&A you mention the contest is three months, but it's actually 2.
I am not trying to be a nuisance just clarifying the timing better.
Thanks!

1.) The earliest submissions are accepted by July 6st. Just like the run time of the contest states.
2.) It's indeed just 2 months.
Both typos have been corrected in the rules.

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

This looks like a lot of fun! I might not be able to enter, but if anyone's in need of a composer, I would happily be of assistace! Here's a couple of samples from my horror-style tracks:
The Shape
The Ice Planet Slasher
Croc's Theme

Feel free to PM me or email me if you want me to compose something for your film!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/897/41159494142_0cd87a056f_o.jpg
YouTube : Twitter : Facebook : ↑Click for newest animation!↑

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

Arginnon wrote:

This looks like a lot of fun! I might not be able to enter, but if anyone's in need of a composer, I would happily be of assistace! Here's a couple of samples from my horror-style tracks:
The Shape
The Ice Planet Slasher
Croc's Theme

Feel free to PM me or email me if you want me to compose something for your film!

Ooh, those sound really good, that might well be worth considering!

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

So correct me if I read the rules wrong, but it's ok to submit something that has been worked on before the contest began? The only reason that I asked is because I have some footage that I shot earlier this year that I'm desperately trying to find an excuse to finish lol

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

DarthLevee wrote:

So correct me if I read the rules wrong, but it's ok to submit something that has been worked on before the contest began? The only reason that I asked is because I have some footage that I shot earlier this year that I'm desperately trying to find an excuse to finish lol

Please see the following excerpt from the "FAQs" section of the original post.

"Q: Are we required to include any "mod elements" like BiM's THAC contest?
A: No. Those are used in THAC to ensure films are created in the 24-hour period. You have two months this time. Even if you did submit a film you began working on before this competition was announced, that would be fine as long as you haven't released it anywhere before this contest, and it fits the theme of this contest."

Yes you will be able to use and submit that footage, as long as it fits the theme of the contest (and adheres to the other rules).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50106122471_7b1e5d4949_o.png

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

DarthLevee wrote:

So correct me if I read the rules wrong, but it's ok to submit something that has been worked on before the contest began? The only reason that I asked is because I have some footage that I shot earlier this year that I'm desperately trying to find an excuse to finish lol

As the tenacious brick stated above, old footage made prior to the contest's announcement is allowed as long as it fits the theme and hasn't been released.

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

ok, thanks thats what I thought! The footage is from a horror short I was making to test out some visuals that I just never finished so it should work pretty swell mini/smile

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

I want to see a Scary Movie spin off entry

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

CarrollFilms wrote:

I want to see a Scary Movie spin off entry

Ahahahaha that would be awesome!! mini/lol mini/lol mini/lol

Unfortunately, I have a different idea...

Re: Summer Contest: Fright and Fear

I first saw this forum, although I have been interested in brickfilms for a long time. How much I missed it all... There are so many great contests and just an amazing community, I love you all (^_^)
But if we talk about this topic I would like to ask: can brickfilm be about a unobvious sense of fear? Like for example the fear of missed opportunities or the fear of making a mistake