Topic: 12 FPS, 15 FPS, 24 FPS Tests. Which one looks the best?

Hey guys, recently i have begun to film in 24 FPS, i just need you to tell me if the 24 FPS looks better than the 12 FPS and 15 FPS...
And, BTW welcome back to BIM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wzc7vJ … re=channel

And, also, is the sword swing alright?

TY! R+R!

Persist.

Re: 12 FPS, 15 FPS, 24 FPS Tests. Which one looks the best?

Go with 24. I don't recommend putting that request for rates and comments though.
What program do you use for frame capturing?

You should go with what you like. In general, 15fps gives you the best results for the amount of effort you put in. Shooting in 24fps will certainly give you smoother motion, but it will also be much harder to animate because you need to take more frames. I suggest using 30fps and "shooting in twos" which means you take two frames for every motion, so it ends up being 15fps. It sounds like a waste of time, but what if you've got people walking on the sidewalk, and a car zooming by quickly. You can the car move every frame and move the minifigs every other frame.

That is a brilliant idea, I'll try that one day.

None of them are of above average to tell the truth.  It's the same animation played back at different frame rates.  If you're going to do a test like that, film diferent things at different frame rates.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

I can see you animated it to be 24 FPS, because 12 and 15 were really slow. I would say 24 because it looks the smoothest, but I'd need to see different clips animated at different rates to make a real decision.

So far I've filmed in 15 FPS and it's worked fine, although for some future films I intend to do what NickMOC suggested and shoot in twos.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Well, it depends. Whichever suits you best and what you're best at.
I used to animate at 25 FPS, never worked out, so I went 15 and for me it's the best.

-Steve

well i film at 15fps and it work's really nice:D

Project Secret

15 has always worked well for me.

15 fps and 24 fps seems nice.

Remember to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

Do not be an idiot and go with 24fps simply because it goes by faster. You're animating too slowly for 15fps, and if you animate with larger movements, it will look fine. 24 is too much of a hassle and it's best to try something more simple at your level of experience.

I always go with 15FPS, but since I needed my project,"zorron" to look it's absolutely best, I filmed it at 30FPS, and I got it to 10:35.

but all my other films are 15FPS.

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

thanks guys, i think, for the most part i'll film in 15 fps, but also will try a couple more 24 FPS tests....

Persist.

24 FPS is definitely the smoothest. 12 FPS is a no-no for me. I like 15 FPS. Its easy AND smooth.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

24 is the smoothest.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

Before you shoot at 24 FPS you have to have experience with working with higher frame rates, just making smaller movements wont just cut it, experiment with 24FPS before you go and use it in a film.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

NickMOC wrote:

I suggest using 30fps and "shooting in twos" which means you take two frames for every motion, so it ends up being 15fps... people walking on the sidewalk, and a car zooming by...   ...move can the car move every frame and move the minifigs every other frame.

Essentially, you're animating at 15 and 30fps at the same time.  I do this also: I film thinking 15fps, then import frames into MonkeyJam "holding" 2 frames per image with playback set at 30fps.

Another benefit to animating like this is that it gives you the ability to really monkey around with timing if you need to.

Let's say you filmed something that looks a little too fast played normally.  In 30fps, you can change the "holds" on just those frames from 2 to 3 (essentially slowing those parts down to 10fps).  If your movements are small enough, little bits at 10fps still can look passable.

Let's say you filmed something that looks a little too slow played normally.  In 30fps, you can change the "holds" on just those frames from 2 to 1 (making it twice as fast i.e. 30fps).  If things still look too slow at 30 fps. start eliminating some of your images from the sequence.  Also, you can increase the speeds a lesser amount to other frame rates (see below).

At 30 fps, starting with every image held for 1 frame:

quadruple every image = 7.5 fps
triple every image = 10 fps
for every 2 images, double one and triple the other = 12 fps
double every image = 15 fps
for every 3 images, double every second & third image = 18 fps
double every other image = 20 fps
double every third image = 22.5 fps
double every fourth image = 24 fps
double every fifth image = 25 fps

Of course, this is all kind of a cheat to get me through until I become a better animator, which in a large part to me means better pre-filming planning (creating better timed Exposure Sheets).

[/quote= I suggest using 30fps and "shooting in twos" [/quote]

How do you "shoot in twos"?

Thanks.
D.J.M.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

D.J.M. wrote:

[/quote= I suggest using 30fps and "shooting in twos"

How do you "shoot in twos"?

Thanks.
D.J.M.

[+quote={USERNAME}]{USER'S POST}[+/quote+] Don't count the +'s]

EDIT: WTF happened to my post!? mini/lol

Last edited by Aaron (December 5, 2009 (10:30am))