Re: It's a Bird! It's a Plane!

Heh, that IS a stupid phrase.

BGanimations wrote:

For clarification: the holes I saw were in the plot: the animation was fantastic, and so were the effects, but the movie was a bit of a letoff. I know it's better than I could do, but it just didn't seem like a good joke.

...what were the plot holes, though?

It seemes like a rather stupid idea to build a movie around, in my opinion. And, my first, most important idea, I forgot. That's why in my previous statement I didn't say it. I was distracted with my Rubix cube while writing my post, and I completely lost my 'train of thought'.

Some people may think that I'm just saying that to cover up that I don't really have a reason, but I'm dead serious: I did have a good reason. It'll come back in a day or so, and I'll post it then.

Edit: One smaller reason, but not the one I was thinking of: it seems a bit odd/risky/just-plain-wierd to revolve an entire movie around one saying. If someone really liked the saying, they would have to hate the entire movie because it makes fun of the saying.

Last edited by BGanimations (December 3, 2009 (08:51pm))

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

BGanimations wrote:

it seems a bit odd/risky/just-plain-wierd to revolve an entire movie around one saying.

You might want to look up the 'Words of Wisdom' contest.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Cool little flick. Fun stuff, short, and to the point.

- Leo

BGanimations, I'm not entirely sure you fully understand the concept of a "plot hole."

BGanimation wrote:

If someone really liked the saying, they would have to hate the entire movie because it makes fun of the saying.

Um...welcome to satirical comedy.

Excellent animation and film, but, it is to over-used in brickfilms.
4/5

Brickcellent wrote:

Excellent animation and film, but, it is to over-used in brickfilms.

Exactly what is too over-used in brickfilms? Animation? Cause I agree with that one. Animation is way too overused. Each shot should just be a still frame. Much faster to make 'em that way. Or were you talking about film? Cause that's overused in brickfilms as well. We should just call 'em bricks. Forget film. I'm gonna make me some bricks.

And BG - what on earth? How can a one-minute film have a plot hole? I mean, it doesn't even really have a plot. It's just one dude talking.

- Leo, who must be in a bad mood or something.

Last edited by Leonardo812 (December 4, 2009 (05:07pm))

What the heck BG?
What are all these "holes" you feller's keep talkin' about? mini/confused

Leonardo812

I mean, it dosen't even really have a plot. It's just one dude talking.

I actually think that might be what I was thinking of! Can't be sure though...

lol mini/lol  mini/lol 
i love the city mini/wink

I don't think BG is articulating his point well, but I can't say I like the film either. The whole joke is incredibly shaky and just feels kind of flaccid. I get it, he's criticizing a clichéd phrase... so what? It's not enough to build a movie around.

Night Owl said what I was trying to say in post #22.

The film was great technically, as always, but I didn't really find it funny. Which is odd, I usually find your films hilarious. However I did like the "oh wait, it is a bird" bit mini/lol

Night Owl wrote:

I get it, he's criticizing a clichéd phrase... so what? It's not enough to build a movie around.

One of the things I enjoy about brickfilming is that the animation process is easy enough that you can do just that. You have a thought, you dig out a bunch of minifigs, you make a quick movie. It's like the Twitter of filmmaking. Sometimes you have a story to tell or a point to make, but it's just as valid to say "hey, isn't it funny how people say that thing."

As far as the film goes, I think the writing could have been tightened up a little to make it more punchy, and it's shot quite flatly - four people in a line talking, and the rest of the crowd mostly stock still except in a couple of shots. But this is over-analysing for a throwaway one minute short. I liked it overall.

And here's a plot hole for you: The bird flies right to left and out of shot as the guy points out that it's actually a bird. So what is it that poops on his jacket after the credits?

Of course you could make the film around that concept, but the joke doesn't go anywhere.

0ldScratch wrote:

And here's a plot hole for you: The bird flies right to left and out of shot as the guy points out that it's actually a bird. So what is it that poops on his jacket after the credits?

Flying cows. Fear them.

loved it

Stop Bumping Threads. This thread is over a month old. You can still watch the videos, but don't post. Just keep that in mind. mini/wink

There is nothing wrong with bumping Release threads; and the last post was less than a month ago anyway.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...