Topic: Don't Be a Jerk It's Christmas

Directory Link

Don't Be a Jerk It's Christmas

youtube

This was the follow up to the winner of the Nicktoons/Lego festival competition "Play Nice".  A second short was part of the deal as winner, and they asked me to do Spongebob Squarepants!  Long story short, they provided this song for a music video and this was the end result!  This was my second complete short, I think I might be on to something...  Hope you all like it!

Re: Don't Be a Jerk It's Christmas

Despite my lack of enthusiasm towards Spongebob's creative direction today, I found this video clever and fun to watch. The different scales of animation were incorporated well, though I didn't care for the green/orange acne Spongebob seems to have developed. mini/wink
- Aaron
P.S. Kung-fu robots? Sign me up. mini/bigsmile

Last edited by Jargon (December 15, 2009 (02:10am))

I thought that was really good.  The animation of the big spongebob was especially cool. The mouth animation fit perfectly with the music, and I loved the part where he laughs.  The only thing was I found the music kind of annoying, but that's not your fault is it. mini/wink

wow,

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Thanks guys!  Yeah, the lip syncing was a first for me and entailed its own challenges...

Wow, this is really good. Even though I don't actually like christmas-y things, this is good, I especially like the line, "Don't pee in the cereal box".

The animation could have been better, but I found this brickfilm very good. The model of spongebob was pretty well done, and the sets were amazing. I can't think of anything that you could have done better except the animation.
Congrats on being asked by Nickelodeon to do this! mini/smile

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Great job.  I do think that the large-scale Spongebob could have been animated better, but it worked.

I look forward to any work you do in the future.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

Jaw dropping. mini/jaw

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I would have liked to redo certain sequences myself, but felt that it all "worked" as you put it!  This was actually the THIRD project I started for them.  Nick and Lego had some creative control and input, and we actually started with plans for the theme song.  That was greenlighted all the way through storyboards and early builds before lawyers decided that kids might confuse it with the actual show!  This is ridiculous of course, as final 3d bricks look nothing like the show, but my drawings were pretty good and Nick and Lego fought on my side for some time before succumbing and scrapping the project!

Suffice to say I was very frustrated with the couple of months of wasted effort and useless sets I had already constructed, and survived another false start when my second song choice was axed in favor of this new christmas song they presented me with!  All this took place over spring and then summer, and I tour with a rock band for a living, so my team and studio space was all gone (I had the studio that did all miniature fx for The Terminator and lots more ready to let me use their motion control arms and such!) so this ended up being another solo project completed entirely in my bedroom on a rush schedule before I hit the road again for two months!

Excuses aside, I learned so much, and still really enjoyed the process and final product.  But I certainly see weaknesses and flaws that I need to continue to iron out.  I think it still shows a lot of promise, and I think my planned follow ups will also attempt new things, show off some building skills, and advance my animation skills.  Remember, now I get to do whatever I want...