Topic: THAC 7: Robot Hunter

Directory Link

Robot Hunter

Well, this definitely didn't turn out as expected. The deletion of two scenes about fourteen hours into the competition didn't help, and neither did my microphone breaking down, which is why I had to use my camera mic. And of course, I could have done without my editing software crashing sporadically. Ah well - that's what THAC is all about, isn't it? And although I probably wouldn't have said it half-way through, I really did have a great time making this.

utoob
teh firey download

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (January 3, 2010 (03:22pm))

Re: THAC 7: Robot Hunter

Excellent work, Jordan. I loved the special effects (as usual), and the whole thing just blew me away. I can't describe it.

Very nice! Animation and FX were really good. mini/smile

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

This is one of my favorite THAC 7 entries of the ones I've watched so far.  Strong visuals, and good voice acting on your part.  The visual idea for the titles was really cool, and the music worked beautifully, I like the surreal feel of this film.  I also thought it was very funny.  It may be a glorified parody of Blade Runner but I still liked the concept.

The use of the mod elements is admittedly questionable; I'm satisfied by your explanations though and the situation reminds me a bit of Ladon's THAC entry which took a similar approach with the use of the mod.

In my opinion, your strongest work to date.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

The ending was hilarious.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Looks like we have a winner.

I liked it alright; it didn't seem to have much beyond a nice noir atmosphere that was there in some shots but wasn't that consistent. The ending was quite nicely pulled off, but everything up to that point was rather lackluster.

That is a hideous subway.

Yikes, I thought I did a lot of special effects for THAC...

That was very enjoyable and quite unexpected. I think you channeled the feeling of Blade Runner very well in the visuals. Nice job!

Great technical aspects, but the only problem was I didn't see at least one of the mod elements in every frame.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

That was fantastic. Great job!

I am sorry,

I hated it when Ladon did it, I hate it now...
I have a huge problem with this - and I don't care if I am just too stupid to see it, or the mod element was intentionally hidden. I have one question:
Why do you hide the one thing that is supposed to make sure you haven't preproduced this film?
I see at least 3 complete shots that I think are preproduced. The dialog in the factory, the fight in the subway, and the fall of the guy.
And I know the answer: The letter will be somewhere in it, or maybe there is a blurry yellow dot next to a black something, or the robots shadow together with...

I bet I can find any letter in nine out of ten random shots in any film, just put a two 2 studs wide bricks over the other, and the outline wil form an 8 ... which will allow you to form any possible letter (with enough fantasy). The difference to a legit THAC entry is that in 99% of all THAC entries you see a clear MOD and that calms me, and that is all I am asking for. Where is the problem to make a black and yellow plate on the floor in the sub, or a sign S4 or Subway, or carve a tatoo in his left arm saying S for superman, or why not simply use a yellow head with black hair, art wise it would have been exactly no difference. The only differenc I can think of that when the scene was made the mod element wasn't known.

I am not making a pledge for a disqualificatio here, I make a pledge that states that for future THACs this kind of using the MOD element is banned.

Cheers Arend

ahnt wrote:

I am not making a pledge for a disqualificatio here, I make a pledge that states that for future THACs this kind of using the MOD element is banned.

Yes, we intend to include specific rules against this kind of thing in the future, (it bothered me when Ladon did it, after all, though I wasn't helping on that contest and it was so long ago I'd forgotten about it).  While I don't think he filmed any footage ahead of time as you're suggesting, it certainly would have been possible to do so and we'll do our best to tighten the guidelines on this in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sorry, I guess that came out wrong... I didn't want to accuse him directly, I wanted to make my point about the issue.
No hard feelings Leonardo. I don't think you actually cheated or intentionally cheated. I just looks that way, and I don't want
to see further contributions that look like cheating, and leave this bad feeling about it. And strikter rules like Smeagol said (thank you for that) are the easiest way for all of us.

Cheers Arend

mini/smile Nice job!

ahnt wrote:

Sorry, I guess that came out wrong...

No, no - it's really all right if I'm disqualified. I didn't do THAC for the prizes or anything, and I understand your problem with really liberal uses of the mod element. I didn't want my film to have blatant stuff like random 'S's in the background and miscellaneous black and yellow pieces throughout. Maybe that wasn't the best choice, and it's fine to tighten the rules or even disqualify my entry. I completely understand.

For the record, though, most of the mod elements are the bottom of the trash can, which forms an S pattern, the main character's hairline, which forms an 'S' pattern with his beard, and the robot's hairline, which also forms an 'S'.

Night Owl wrote:

I liked it alright; it didn't seem to have much beyond a nice noir atmosphere that was there in some shots but wasn't that consistent. The ending was quite nicely pulled off, but everything up to that point was rather lackluster.

Not to bash my own film or anything, I'm glad other people liked it, but I agree with you. The ending is cool, the rest is not quite how I envisioned it.

- Leo

what ever is the result (and I don't think you should be disqualified) you did a nice film, the atmosphere is cool,
and visually it is brilliant. And I guess making a nice film is what counts in the end anyways, and you acomplished that 120%.

Cheers Arend

Cons: Very hard to read his name in the opening titles (which were excellent). Animation. Sets. Unexpected?
Pro: Great story, drew me in immediately. Voice acting. Titles. Bin Hat. Use of element. Choice of figs.

My favourite so far, bravo!

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Excellent!  One of our favorite entries so far...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

One of my favourite THAC entries! The VFX were really good and the story was basic but it was enjoyable.

I noticed the shot in which the camera pans up with a cooling tower in the background seems to be very similar to a shot from plant.
Incidentaly, I really liked the film,!

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY