Topic: Squad 42 IV - No Alternative (The Remastered Edition)

Directory Link

Squad 42 IV - No Alternative (The Remastered Edition)

Squad 42 IV - No Alternative (Remastered)

Probably my most visually impressive film to date.

All the stop-motion animation was done mid-2008 years ago whereas the CGI was made in late 2009, although I don't think the contrast is too bad.

Enjoy!

Re: Squad 42 IV - No Alternative (The Remastered Edition)

GPPProductions wrote:

Squad 42 IV - No Alternative (The Remastered Edition)

Squad 42 IV - No Alternative (Remastered)

Probably my most visually impressive film to date.

All the stop-motion animation was done mid-2008 years ago whereas the CGI was made in late 2009, although I don't think the contrast is too bad.

Enjoy!

I saw this as soon as it came out, and had to watch it about 3 times to make sure it wasn't a good dream. Wow. mini/eek

http://i.imgur.com/Vghri.png
I'm back. Possibly.

Quotes from the YT comments:

"you are maybe the worlds best lego movie animator!!!!!!!! "
"too awsome to scientificlly comprehend!!!!"
"that is the best animation i have ever seen!!!"
"great great great awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! job man cooooooooooooooolllll "
"That was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, you have some light flicker, set bumps, a mixed bag of CGI work, overuse of particles, and average animation. Your main talent seems to be attracting audiences who are overly fond of exclamation marks.

No, no, I'm only kidding. The film really has some strong points, and was entertaining to watch. However, I hope you don't stagnate because your third-grade male audience thinks you're the greatest human to ever live. Keep improving and trying new things. You had some visually creative stuff there - try to cut down on your technical shortcomings in future films.

- Leo

although your films are good visually and effects wise, I can only say the animation is a continuos downer, if you improved your animation, your films would be incredible...
My honest opinion which I don't dare state on youtube for fear of n00b flaming...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6055/6222879608_7afe011386_m.jpg

Leonardo812 wrote:

Quotes from the YT comments:

"you are maybe the worlds best lego movie animator!!!!!!!! "
"too awsome to scientificlly comprehend!!!!"
"that is the best animation i have ever seen!!!"
"great great great awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! job man cooooooooooooooolllll "
"That was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, you have some light flicker, set bumps, a mixed bag of CGI work, overuse of particles, and average animation. Your main talent seems to be attracting audiences who are overly fond of exclamation marks.

No, no, I'm only kidding. The film really has some strong points, and was entertaining to watch. However, I hope you don't stagnate because your third-grade male audience thinks you're the greatest human to ever live. Keep improving and trying new things. You had some visually creative stuff there - try to cut down on your technical shortcomings in future films.

- Leo

You have some valid points there, you usually do. However, if you're going to be bitter about Gareth entertaining more people than you have, try to be less transparent with your condescension next time. Makes ya look insecure. mini/wink
Put that energy into making something cool instead, cause you're a good animator.

Last edited by Keshen (April 22, 2010 (12:28am))

I catch no insecurity in Leon's post. His points are valid.

Spudster wrote:

I catch no insecurity in Leon's post. His points are valid.

You saw no insecurity in the fact that he spent most of his post reviewing Gareths audience instead of his actual vid?
Maybe it's just me then.

It's not really hard spending most of a review on a certain thing when it's 5 sentences long.

vik wrote:

It's not really hard spending most of a review on a certain thing when it's 5 sentences long.

A variation between the topic of each sentence would be possible. mini/wink

Anyway, thanks for the feedback from all you guys!

Apologies for my post - in retrospect it definitely sounds condescending. My only point was to encourage Gareth to continue to push himself and improve despite superlative praise from young fans.

- Leo

Well, I actually thought the CGI was nice! Maybe it's not the blockbuster, rem-em-to-shreds Avatar kind of CGI, but I liked it just the same. The voices sounded a bit off though. In one sentence the voices sound dim and far away, and in the next it sounds loud and clear. Plus the effects were much louder that the voices, and it showed. Aside from a bit of light flicker (and 12fps. My eyes just have this weird thing where it has to be at least 15fps to be smooth. On closer examination though I see that the incriments are well done), it was a nice movie to watch.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

@ Leo

I didn't mean to pounce on you, it's just that when I come on this site I usually see a common dislike displayed for this "third-grade male audience"...
People here seem to forget that we make Lego animations...Key word being: "Lego". Second key word being: "Animations". I don't see a retired judge sitting at home next to a leather armoire sipping brandy and clutching a cigar while he holds a screening of our animations for his harvard buddies after a day of golf and wine tasting.
I'm not suggesting that we not take our craft seriously...but if the third graders enjoy our videos...I say let's rejoice for that, if anything.

I HAD A DREAM!

Keshen wrote:

People here seem to forget that we make Lego animations...Key word being: "Lego". Second key word being: "Animations". I don't see a retired judge sitting at home next to a leather armoire sipping brandy and clutching a cigar while he holds a screening of our animations for his harvard buddies after a day of golf and wine tasting.

You certainly can make a point Keshen mini/lol

I found that this was even more enjoyable than the original, especially the new voices. I also admire your skills at Cinema 4d, as you seem to have improved ever since you made your new intro. I hope we see more of this soon mate!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ReidYoderFilms/Pictures/mrbrick2.png

•  Youtube

What did you use for the effects?

XDD