Topic: Working on a new story idea

I currently have a new story forming in my head. Right in there with the other 5-6 mini/rolleyes

I was going to ask for any input you guys might have. I plan to make this into a brickfilm, but not for a while. I'm just going on a trust basis that no one steals the idea. I'd like to think you guys are honorable enough not to blatantly steal and idea mini/smile

Ok, here's what I have so far.

The story is set in roughly 2030-2040. Everywhere is taken up by tall, corporate looking buildings. It's very polluted. Kind of like in Unrenewable, except not broken down with trash everywhere. Lots of smog mainly, because the bulk of the movie will be set on high up platforms and roofs.
The main character is a bounty hunter, but he works a tad differently to others. What he does is capture the mark, then use them as bait to lure other bounty hunters and kill them.
On one of his "missions" he seems to bite off more than he can chew when he lures a fellow bounty hunter with the aim of killing him. They're evenly matched, and there's a massive chase/fight scene which will probably be a bulk of the movie.
Oh, another thing. In this future, people with less than legal intentions often have access to black market "upgrades". Our "hero" has machine like spring legs built into his, which allow him near superhuman athletic ability which he uses to leap from building to building, as well as run down and even up the sides of buildings for short distances.
The main enemy in this film has an arm he can morph into an arsenal of his  own imaginings. He could turn it into a grappling hook, or maybe a sword. He cannot, however, create ammunition. So he could turn his arm into a gun but if he didn't have separate ammunition it would be useless.

These are my ideas for the movie so far. If you have any input or ideas you'd like to add, please feel free. If I use an idea of one of yours I'll include you in the credits when I eventually make the film. Again, I ask those who read this not to take my idea. Please be honorable. mini/smile

Last edited by Sean (December 27, 2008 (08:20am))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Re: Working on a new story idea

So what is it you want from us, your story is pretty much formed. Is it character ideas or scene ideas ?

I would delete the line in your post above re the ending, that would be nice to keep as a surprise - don't give the farm away mini/lol

Point taken; I deleted the line re the ending.

Basically I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas or input that could improve the story. Other characters and scene ideas would be good. I just though it would be interesting to see what other people thought. mini/smile

It sounds a little Blade Runner ish, re the vision of the future. Which is a good thing.

To be honest, I've never watched Blade Runner. I was going to several years ago but didn't for a reason I can't remember.

Are you using that LEGO Agents Arm for the other Bounty Hunter? I Think it could do with some Scenes of Our hero's "lair".

_2014

Yes, I daresay I'll make use of the new Agents arm.

Hmmm, a lair might be a good bit. Perhaps a section of abandoned and unused sewer?

He could have a trophy cabinet/wall with something like the Heads of other Bounty Hunters.

_2014

Sean wrote:

Hmmm, a lair might be a good bit. Perhaps a section of abandoned and unused sewer?

I was thinking you go Lex Luthor and make it an unused part of an underground train station.

Last edited by maggosh (December 27, 2008 (09:05am))

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

It sounds like a lot of effects work.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

MMproductions wrote:

He should hire me.

I think that the story idea could work if it was done in an artistic way. That's hard to explain, but if the cinematography, animation, effects, and sound design are sweet, I think that it could be a really enjoyable film.

Did Ladon make a bounty hunter film kind of like this? I seem to remember something like that, but I couldn't find it.

- Leo

Leonardo812 wrote:
MMproductions wrote:

He should hire me.

I think that the story idea could work if it was done in an artistic way. That's hard to explain, but if the cinematography, animation, effects, and sound design are sweet, I think that it could be a really enjoyable film.

Did Ladon make a bounty hunter film kind of like this? I seem to remember something like that, but I couldn't find it.

- Leo

It was called Bounty how could you not find it?

http://www.brickfilms.com/filmview.php?filmID=2894

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/COTB/FunkyJunk/RUMBLE/mg.jpg

Matt Gillan wrote:

It was called Bounty how could you not find it?

http://www.brickfilms.com/filmview.php?filmID=2894

Bingo. That's what I was looking for. You might want to watch it if you haven't yet, Sean. You might get some good ideas.

- Leo

Sean, I'd advise against making the bulk of your film a large action sequence. This can be done well, but usually scenes like this don't move the plot along much and can too easily bore the audience. If there are no real stakes in the fight, and the audience doesn't care about the characters, it won't be very interesting or suspenseful.

Nick Durron wrote:

Sean, I'd advise against making the bulk of your film a large action sequence. This can be done well, but usually scenes like this don't move the plot along much and can too easily bore the audience. If there are no real stakes in the fight, and the audience doesn't care about the characters, it won't be very interesting or suspenseful.

You should toss some emotion into the fight. Like make the baddy put a knife to a passerbyes throught.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

Some great ideas guys, thanks.
The fact that it will take a lot of effects work doesn't phase me.
The main character isn't really psychotic, so I don't see why he'd keep the heads of the other bounty hunters he's killed. He just sees it as eliminating the competition.
You're right about not making the action sequence(s) too long. I don't have  afull script formed yet, but the film won't be coming for a while anyway.
Thanks for the link to Bounty. I''ll watch it when our internet switches over to the next month, as I'm currently capped.

Sean wrote:

He just sees it as eliminating the competition.

I was going to ask why his main mission is to kill off other bounty hunters, which now you've answered.  I'm afraid his motivation doesn't inspire me much.  Eliminating the competition means his primary motivation is greed, or pride (wants to be the best).  I think your audience would care more about your hero's success if he had some more interesting and inspiring motivation.  As it stands, your story is about a bad guy killing other bad guys.  Why should I care if your main bad guy wins or loses when they're all dirtbags?  As it stands, it sounds like just another romp through decadence, an excuse for a lot of mayhem and murder.  I usually want more out of a story or film (Fargo and No Country are possible exceptions).

I see your point, Ancient. My train of though is that he's not good or bad, just neutral. However, in a world where good can't seem to be found and neutral is the farthest from bad, who is the hero? I'd rather root for someone neutral than someone bad.

Last edited by Sean (December 27, 2008 (10:33pm))

Aha! perfect cure! between his fowl adventures he must meet a person who strives for good. somehow through his struggles he finds there is still good to be found.

If you have a jerk for a hero people cheer for the villain(I cheered for the phantom of the opera!)

We'll keep our bible
we'll keep our guns
you can keep the change

Sean wrote:

My train of though is that he's not good or bad, just neutral.

Ah, raises some interesting questions: Can someone really be neutral?  Can a person do an action which is truly neutral?  Maybe every action is either good or bad and only inaction is neutral.  Then again, sometimes inaction can also be good or bad.  Things for me to ponder further.... mini/smile 

Maybe by neutral, your hero is really still a bad guy, but somehow better than the other bad guys.  But if he's murdering the other bad guys, then perhaps he's actually more bad than them.  Maybe by taking out the bad guys, he's performing a public service, a vigilante of sorts. 

No matter how you slice it, I think trying to present a neutral main character is going to be difficult to pull off.  And if you do pull it off, people then might not care if he fails or succeeds, which is also probably not what you're going for.