Re: BiM 2012: Kitchen Sink [CLOSED]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the theme is really anything we want, with bonus points for a plot. Right?

Yes, and the film has to be an interactive one.

http://i.imgur.com/RnPzz.png
*Signature made by Mighty Wanderer*
Youtube | Twitter

D.J.M. wrote:

How will you be able to tell who is in which age group? Do we have to state before hand or state in our entries?

When you submit your film to the contest in a PM to me you will also include what age group you are entering. As the date draws closer I will make a little form that will make it easier to copy and paste all the information I need for you. There is no need to display what contest you're in in your entry.

END films wrote:

Is it o.k. to use the stickered cone peices from the new star wars ascape pod for a space ship or time machine?

Using a sticker like that would be acceptable. Just because a piece comes from a licensed set does not mean the set pieces themselves cannot be used. Iconic and noticeable copyrighted images are what I'm trying to avoid.

KTproductions121 wrote:

Man I Don't Really Get The Theme?
someone help me out

Not many people are familiar with the phrase "Everything but the kitchen sink." This is just a phrase I used to bring the contest together. There is no need to include a sink in your film or have some kind of plumbing problem. The theme is open ended- meaning you can do any genre you can think of. The fun of this contest is making your movie INTERACTIVE giving the viewer choices on how the movie will progress.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the theme is really anything we want, with bonus points for a plot.

The way you phrased it sounds like you got the wrong impression. The theme is surely anything you want, but the story is the key.   

legogod wrote:

With the interactivity, you might have the urge to film a wild jumble of shorts and slap them together. These types of submissions will not be accepted. Please take your time and make a memorable and watchable film. // The video will score higher if it has a coherent storyline with interesting offshoot choices.

There are no "bonus points" for a plot as a story is needed to contend. That last part I added to clarify as questions were asked and refers to films you might want to haphazardly put together (like an action film). I hope you all see this as I do.

Thanks again,
Jared

Thanks Jared. mini/smile

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Thanks Jared That answer really helped!

I't seems everyone either hates or loves the theme. I have wanted to make one of these films for a while, but now that it is required to do an interactive film I can make it safely without hate. mini/smile The prizes meh, but I never really aimed for a prize just to place high. Well I wich everyone entering the best of luck. I hope we get some amazing entries!

One question. Live results?

legogod wrote:

Now, the Indiana Jones torso includes nothing that can be linked back to the property aside from the knowledge we (being Lego fans) know where it came from.

So, in that case could I use Darth Vader's head piece, (Not the helm, the head) for a zombie?
I assume so, but I'd just like to make sure.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

So, in that case could I use Darth Vader's head piece, (Not the helm, the head) for a zombie?

That head would be okay for the same reason the Indiana Jones torso is okay.

This seems to be a hot topic as people want to use most of their Lego collection without being disqualified. Please use this "rule of thumb:" If it can be linked to a licensed theme, don't use it. Some other examples to help you understand the rule: Spongebob's head/torso cannot be used, but the printed pieces that make up Gary's shell could be used for a lampshade or frisbee (or anything except a snail). The Krusty Krab, Ollivander's,  and Flo's V8 cafe signs cannot be used as they refer to licensed themes. Most of the pieces that are unable to be used are minifigure parts that give the person their persona: Iron Man's helmet, Batman's mask, Harry Potter's lightning bolt head, and Jabba the Hutt. (He is just one big minifigure).  mini/smile

I don't want to answer a whole bunch of questions about acceptable parts. Be imaginative and If you have doubts, don't use it.

buikes wrote:

One question. Live results?

I am not as familiar with this as many others in the community but I am sure that "live" results, no matter when they happen, would exclude someone based on their time zone. I have some ideas about distributing the winning information but have yet to nail one to the wall. Suggestions are welcome but at this point it is not a top priority.

Thanks for your help. I know results are usually decided on after the contest ends, I was just wondering what you had in mind. I am currently in the process of moving my animation table. Though it will take time I can't wait for the result! There will be less light flicker and set bumps! I am yet to receive some of the items necessary for filming. But, I am planning to start filming on June 10th... When will you start?

I probably won't start animating until June 1st at the earliest. I accidentally hurt my thumb with a ban saw and have to wait until I get my splint off. mini/madhead

But even still, I'll just use the extra time to make the script even better!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

18 days left of school. AKA, 18 days left until I start my entry. mini/tongue
THis is SUCH an AWESOME theme! mini/bigsmile

How long do you guys think we should leave for people to choose an annotation?
I am going to try a new script idea as the usual won't work for an interactive film. Im thinking like a tree of hyperlinks.
EG: Start
        /\
    left  Right
     /\
Door Floor
And all of the scene titiles will be hyperlinks to the script for that scene. Like it dislike it?

EDIT: Could you post a rubric so I can see how we are being judged?

Last edited by buikes (May 14, 2012 (10:09pm))

Is live action allowed?

funmiproductions wrote:

Is live action allowed?

legogod wrote:

1. Be primarily composed of stop-motion animation. 3D, Flash, clay, hand-drawn, and timelapse are encouraged in addition to stop-motion as long as the finished product is at least roughly 50% stop-motion animation.

Not sure, I would say so, as long as you mostly have stopmotion. Except I'm not the host...

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

funmiproductions wrote:

Is live action allowed?

If the end product is at least 50% stop motion it seems.

legogod under the "Rules" section wrote:

1. Be primarily composed of stop-motion animation. 3D, Flash, clay, hand-drawn, and timelapse are encouraged in addition to stop-motion as long as the finished product is at least roughly 50% stop-motion animation.

Interesting...I'll think about entering.

I specialize in burning people's eyeballs off with cool videos. Feel free to watch!

17 days of school left, 17 DAYS! As soon as school is over, I will start animating.

Once I get my new camera in the mail and school ends I'll start. Can't...wait...much...longer! mini/twitch

funmiproductions wrote:

Is live action allowed?

Small amounts would be acceptable. In the rules there is a lot of "wiggle-room" for other types of animation. You could argue that because we're animated (or alive) we have every right to film ourselves. Of course I would shoot down that idea and kick the burning ashes into the ocean.

The doors are open to literally any type of animation you can imagine once the brick animation quota has been filled. That's why the rules have been changed to allow entrants a liberty to explore other mediums in a contest which exploits every path imaginable.

Small amounts of live action in a 1-2 minute story need to be quite small indeed to remain eligible for the contest. While I have made no rule against it, it seems a cheap way to make time in an animation contest.

Jared

Troodon wrote:

17 days of school left, 17 DAYS! As soon as school is over, I will start animating.

I have three left *Evil laugh*

Any way it make's Me laugh, cause My first ideal was a horror film, and now i think I'm gonna make a over the top comedy...

The Ghost of Mrs. Day studios: Home of mediocre brickfilms.