Topic: Lord Of The Thing - PART 1

YouTube
Behind the Scenes

"John Redwood and Wizard Whitebeard set out on their epic adventure to...do stuff."

(Contains Mild Language and one reference to sexual intercourse when a character attempts to buy a halberd and the vendor says "He's obviously compenstating for something." It's very funny.)

I deliberately split this into parts so it didn't take me years to make one ridiculously long Brickfilm, and so I could get feedback as I go along. Thus, I really REALLY need feedback here.

Last edited by Max Butcher (July 15, 2014 (06:43am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Re: Lord Of The Thing - PART 1

I question the language in this movie. It wasn't very necessary and didn't really fit the setting. You have some nice puns, and decent animation. mini/smile The one thing I would try and work on would be the constant flicker throughout the video.

Keep up the good work!

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I'm fine with your simple sets and animation, they don't bother me in the slightest because I think the old school visual aesthetic fits you style, whether it's intentional or just a result of you resources; I also know you care more about writing anyway. Speaking of writing, it's written very well. I'm exited to see where the plot goes, and I'm interested in the world you created. I like the idea you've planted in the beginning that the "good guys" are actually terrible people and the "evil empire" are just trying to protect themselves. There are also some really well written jokes in there, which I won't spoil here. The problem is the delivery. I hardly found myself laughing at any of the jokes, but a few seconds after hearing each one (and I mean almost all of them) I thought "that was funny, why didn't I laugh?". Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I felt like the jokes, even thought they were funny, didn't land right and so didn't really have the intended affect. You doing all the voices has worked in the past (like in you last THAC entry, which I recently re-watched and was laughing out loud throughout) but I think here it would have been wiser to get some other people to do voices for you. I know there are some capable voice actors here who would have been willing to help. I think the delivery of each joke felt exactly like the last one, and so subconsciously it gets old even when it's technically a new joke; the jokes feel old/repetitive, even though they're actually quite clever, if you get what I mean. I really think having some more voices in there to break up the single tone of your voice would have helped keep the jokes feeling fresh and emotionally engaging, as well as the intellectual engagement which your writing provides. That's really my only big criticism, although I suppose it is really quite large.

Spoiler (click to read)

The armor of doing things, I love that.

Seriously you have some great jokes, your writing is really really good. I love Monty Python, and I love seeing it's influence in your work. I think you just haven't quite worked out emotionally conveying what you've written to the audience. I personally think there's a work of comedy genius in you if you nail that down. mini/smile

The youtube says the next part is due in August so not sure how feedback on part 1 will help part 2, but since you asked ...

I enjoyed it.  mini/smile

If you enjoy writing then you did that well.  A nicely moving plot with a scattering of side jokes.  Good job.  Whilst i didnt lol, i didnt alt-f4 either and i very rarely watch an 11 minute brick film.  I was disappointed when i didnt get to see the ending.

Animation wise, that whole head bopping about when talking was a little too exagerated for me.  Keen to see what others think.  I was watching one of them talk and i was feeling dizzy trying to track him lean back and forth.

The sets were quaint.  Sparce when acceptable and detailed when required.

Voices, another one actor would have helped but not a big deal.  Maybe part 2 if its not too late, for a character we havent met yet.

All in all im looking forward to the rest of it. mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

It was pretty enjoyable but I feel like it could have been edited down quite a bit as some of the dialog dragged in places, some of the crude humor was funny, some of it fell a little flat. It also would have been nice if you had add a back light to the characters on the green screen, you were getting some really bad green bleed around the edges. Also the dialog seemed a bit 'over animated'

Spoiler (click to read)

I really wanted the wizard to pop in and say 'I'm a mother !@#$%^& WIZARD!' but I can understand why you didn't use language like that, but I think it would have been a lot funnier.

It was entertaining keep up the good work, something like this might be a good idea to story board out so you can edit the film down to a quicker more entertaining pace so you don't waste time on animation you just cut out.

I really like this.  There's some great jokes.  I also really like the set design--it really reminds me of a classic brickfilm feel which works really well in this film.  I also really like the voice-acting (for some inexplicable reason I always crack up when you roll your "r's").  However, I do feel that you should have gotten one or two other voice actors, as all the characters' voices sound a bit too similar.  Also, there's quite a lot of flickering (especially in John's blacksmith shop, with the reflective surfaces).  And I find it odd that a king who is addressed as "Your Grace" is in charge of an empire...

Spoiler (click to read)

The "badly explained science" joke was hilarious.  I really want to see a scene where a random nerdy scientist pops up out of nowhere and attempts to actually explain it (preferably in the most technobabble-ey way possible) before suddenly being violently disposed of by John Redwood or some random peasant/barbarian/quamdiddlypuff....

(Also I had no idea Kevin MacLeod composed the Egmont Overture.  This guy is totally going to be the next Beethoven...)

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (July 10, 2014 (01:55pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Spoiler (click to read)

The "badly explained science" joke was hilarious.  I really want to see a scene where a random nerdy scientist pops up out of nowhere and attempts to actually explain it (preferably in the most technobabble-ey way possible) before suddenly being violently disposed of by John Redwood or some random peasant/barbarian/quamdiddlypuff....

That sounds very entertaining.

Wow. Not only is everyone's feedback fair, its also really detailed and helpful. Thanks so much guys, and please keep it coming. I want to make this series as good as it possibly can be.

Harborlight Productions wrote:

I question the language in this movie. It wasn't very necessary and didn't really fit the setting.

Which langauge? The very, very mild cuss words (its fair enough if your offended, although I only count two of them - 'bloody', which you find in kids films, and 'shove it up your AARRRGGHH' which is heavily masked) Or the fact that the dialogue is fairly modern, and not like Tolkein's psuedo-Shakespearean writing?

backyardlegos wrote:

The problem is the delivery. I hardly found myself laughing at any of the jokes, but a few seconds after hearing each one...I think here it would have been wiser to get some other people to do voices for you. I know there are some capable voice actors here who would have been willing to help.

I'll definitely look into this. I've always been distrustful of using other people (unless its for feedback and criticism)...and this distrust has always been a bit unjustified.

The problem is that this part had over 100 lines of dialogue in it. I could and should have assigned minor characters such as the Halberd-Shopper, the Merchant, and the Capitol-Gate Guard to other people - but I have no choice really but to play all four major characters (John, Whitebeard, Wormface, and The King) myself or else this'll never get made. Even with the thing split into parts, and with part 2 shaping up to be slightly shorter, asking someone to record about 40 lines at once is way too much.

togfox wrote:

The youtube says the next part is due in August so not sure how feedback on part 1 will help part 2

It's helped a lot. I've almost finished a first draft of part 2 - but the great thing about writing is that it can easily be re-written.

Animation wise, that whole head bopping about when talking was a little too exagerated for me.  Keen to see what others think.  I was watching one of them talk and i was feeling dizzy trying to track him lean back and forth.

Right. I've always run out of ideas when it comes to animating dialogue. I'm trying to be more inventive with the next part. Whilst there will always be points when characters have to stand face-to-face and produce rhetoric, I'm trying to do stuff like have characters talk whilst walking and performing other activities to liven things up a bit. I'll also try to reduce bobbing.

SlothPaladin wrote:

It was pretty enjoyable but I feel like it could have been edited down quite a bit as some of the dialog dragged in places, some of the crude humor was funny, some of it fell a little flat.

A lot of dialogue was already cut, but evidently I didn't cut enough. I'll try to make it more to the point next time.

It also would have been nice if you had add a back light to the characters on the green screen, you were getting some really bad green bleed around the edges.

Um...I didn't use a greenscreen. I've never used a greenscreen. Where precisely did you see bleeding?

Spoiler (click to read)

I really wanted the wizard to pop in and say 'I'm a mother !@#$%^& WIZARD!' but I can understand why you didn't use language like that, but I think it would have been a lot funnier.

Alas! It's very difficult to find out just how old the people who watch my stuff are - but for now I'm trying to keep this a family show. Although, I'm completely ripping off The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and the Thief videogames by putting in fictional cuss words that are obviously censoring much stronger language.

something like this might be a good idea to story board out so you can edit the film down to a quicker more entertaining pace so you don't waste time on animation you just cut out.

I might try that. I can't draw (that's why I animate with LEGO) but I could always do stick-figures. I'm making an effort to at least script actions more - as before my scripts would just be a dry list of all the dialogue.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, there's quite a lot of flickering (especially in John's blacksmith shop, with the reflective surfaces).

I only found out how many times the set 'caught my best side' when I played it back. I would have re-shot all of it, but I was being driven mad by animating nothing but dialogue in such a small set (this is the only time I've dismalted a set by throwing it on the floor) that I decided I would try and fix it in post...to no avail.

And I find it odd that a king who is addressed as "Your Grace" is in charge of an empire...

Oh...ELF!

(Also I had no idea Kevin MacLeod composed the Egmont Overture.  This guy is totally going to be the next Beethoven...)

I know! I couldn't believe it myself - but I guess he's just that much of a genius...

Last edited by Max Butcher (July 10, 2014 (03:22pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Wait, you've played the old Thief games? Back when they said -taffer-, I miss those days. And I understand wanting to keep it family friendly, sometimes family friendly can be even funnier

I look forward to the next episode.

Enjoyed it. Didn't find the language offensive or unnecessary.

Nicely done, Butch.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I loved this! I am a hater of all bad words, but the way you used them was so funny!! I feel like this is the lego version of Monty Python and the search for the Holy Grail.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

I really liked it. I love the Monty Python feel to it.
More please.

I question the language in this movie. It wasn't very necessary and didn't really fit the setting.

Max Butcher wrote:

Which langauge? The very, very mild cuss words (its fair enough if your offended, although I only count two of them - 'bloody', which you find in kids films, and 'shove it up your AARRRGGHH' which is heavily masked) Or the fact that the dialogue is fairly modern, and not like Tolkein's psuedo-Shakespearean writing?

I'm not offended, I just think it's unnecessary to add it to a film with a medieval setting. Look at The Lord of the Rings. It had not one swear throughout the whole thing and it was fantastic. As in language I kinda meant dialog. The sexual joke was really out of place and inappropriate no matter how funny some think it is.  We must remember this is a kids theme and kids watch these Lego videos. So we must watch what we put in them. mini/smile

Besides all that I liked your film. mini/smile

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Max Butcher wrote:

I'm not offended, I just think it's unnecessary to add it to a film with a medieval setting. Look at The Lord of the Rings. It had not one swear throughout the whole thing and it was fantastic. As in language I kinda meant dialog. The sexual joke was really out of place and inappropriate no matter how funny some think it is.  We must remember this is a kids theme and kids watch these Lego videos. So we must watch what we put in them. mini/smile

I'm afraid I disagree. Brickfilming's a filmmaking medium, not a genre, and as long as you properly signpost that there's going to be violence, language or sexual references, then it's fine. I didn't flinch at them at all; if I hadn't read this thread after watching, I would never have considered it a problem.

You make a good point about Lord of the Rings - it was fantastic and didn't have any offensive language - but I don't see how a medieval setting makes bad language inappropriate. Some of the most offensive words in the English language, including the most offensive, predate the Viking Age itself. That's 700 AD at the latest. Cussing is nothing if not medieval - it's only in modern times that we have become more conservative in our dialect.

It's just about what you want your film to be. If you want to make a fun, family-friendly adventure film, then keep language and sexual references to a minimum. If you want to make a comedic, screwball deconstruction of popularised fantasy whilst taking a miserly and disdainful tone, as Max has, then you can get away with a lot worse than he has with Lord of the Thing. Even in a brickfilm.

But that's my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong. Plus, Our Lord Nathaniel made a thread for this.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Max Butcher wrote:

Besides all that I liked your film. mini/smile

I myself am not a fan of sex jokes but to a kid that joke wouldn't necessarily mean that (unless they have sense of humor of a teenager or an adult already which would be sad). A kid could think that he meant the guy was wimpy in general. Also it's Max's own theme not LEGO's theme so it up to him what fits the theme and what doesn't.

Max Butcher wrote:

And I find it odd that a king who is addressed as "Your Grace" is in charge of an empire...

Oh...ELF!

I actually like it though, it seems to fit quite well with the style of the film.  Perhaps even have a character who constantly gets the king's title wrong as a running joke (calling him Your Lordshipness/Honour/Highness/Holiness/O Great One, etc.).  It's also interesting that "Elf" is both an expletive and name of a race... (this must make certain diplomatic negotiations rather awkward...)

I'm not offended, I just think it's unnecessary to add it to a film with a medieval setting. Look at The Lord of the Rings. It had not one swear throughout the whole thing and it was fantastic. As in language I kinda meant dialog. The sexual joke was really out of place and inappropriate no matter how funny some think it is.  We must remember this is a kids theme and kids watch these Lego videos. So we must watch what we put in them.

Well, Max is the one who created this film, so he's free to choose what he wants to put in it.  I personally didn't find it too jarring.  "Arrrgh" would probably go over the heads of most kids anyways. I did find the aforementioned joke a bit off, though mainly because I personally find it fairly cliched and overused (though again, kids probably wouldn't get it anyways).  Still, many popular professionally made kids' shows often do this sort of thing as well (just look at Adventure Time...).  And why would setting a film in a medieval/fantasy setting preclude it from having "offensive" content?  Historically speaking, the middle ages, if anything, were a lot more openly violent/crude/offensive (we are, after all, talking about an age in which public execution was considered a form of entertainment...).

Having said all that, it for obvious reasons isn't a good idea to put offensive content in a film if you intend it to be family-friendly.  And I think it would be funnier to use "family-friendly replacements" or fantasy expletives in a really over-the-top way instead of bad language--like saying "lymphatic heck!" or "bodily-fluid-covered geographical-opposite-location-of-heaven" instead of, well, you know.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I just shared my opinion on the matter. I am not here to convince anyone of my opinion, or start a fight.

Max, this video series is hosted by BrickUltra and many kids stay tuned with what they show on there. I would suggest putting a rating in the description or something telling the audience what is going to be in the movie. You may be fine with cuss words and sexual jokes, but some other people are not. If you do that it would be great! mini/smile

mini/wink

END films wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:

Spoiler (click to read)

That sounds very entertaining.

I really like this idea.

Look at The Lord of the Rings. It had not one swear throughout the whole thing and it was fantastic.

I know you're talking about the movies in particular. But, if you were to look on page 722 in The Two Towers. The D word is muttered by an Orc when he talks about a "rebel".

And just take a look at any episode of Game of Thrones! That's in a medieval setting, and almost every swear word in the book is used there.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

Look at The Lord of the Rings. It had not one swear throughout the whole thing and it was fantastic.

I know you're talking about the movies in particular. But, if you were to look on page 722 in The Two Towers. The D word is muttered by an Orc when he talks about a "rebel".

And just take a look at any episode of Game of Thrones! That's in a medieval setting, and almost every swear word in the book is used there.

I can't believe most of you are trying to argue against why swear words are unnecessary. They are bad for a reason you know. mini/tongue

I can't seem to state my opinion without you guys trying to defend yourselves. I wasn't even getting at you, not even Max. I simply stated an opinion. mini/bigsmile Now please stop.