Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Superman returns: 7.5/10 YES. DEAL WITH IT.
Superman the movie: 8.5/10

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Scott pilgrim vs the world

10/10

Brilliant movie. "Nuff said"

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)

The idea of cartoon characters and humans coexisting has indeed been done to death. But, may I remind you that it did not start with Space Jam. At the time of the movie's release, it was a brand-new idea that has not been touched upon before. And what a creative and fun idea it is. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is a sprawling collection of laugh-a-minute gags and a talented cast, all tied together by an exciting mystery storyline.

9/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

The idea of cartoon characters and humans coexisting ... At the time of the movie's release, it was a brand-new idea that has not been touched upon before...

Actually that's an idea that has been used since the birth of animation: Mary Poppins, Anchors Aweigh, Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Out of the Inkwell, Gertie the Dinosaur...

Legoyeah01 wrote:

Superman returns: 7.5/10 YES. DEAL WITH IT.
Superman the movie: 8.5/10

Though I haven't actually seen any of the Christopher Reeve films (bar the third, which is terrible) I also really enjoyed Superman Returns. While a good movie in itself, it wasn't exactly summer blockbuster material, hence why people dislike it, plus it's a bit too Silver Age for a modern audience.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

MPfist0 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

The idea of cartoon characters and humans coexisting ... At the time of the movie's release, it was a brand-new idea that has not been touched upon before...

Actually that's an idea that has been used since the birth of animation: Mary Poppins, Anchors Aweigh, Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Out of the Inkwell, Gertie the Dinosaur...

I guess you're right about that. But, I guess I meant how the cartoon characters are a minority, and how cartoons are shot like live-action movies, instead of being hand-drawn, how that's an original idea that we've never seen before in a film.

The Saratov Approach (2013)

A thrilling tale of survival and faith, director/screenwriter/co-producer Garrett Batty's second major motion picture tells the true story of two missionaries, serving in Russia for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and how they were kidnapped and held for a ransom of $30,000 US dollars. While holding steadfast to their Father in Heaven, they pray that they can make it through this hostile happening.

It's a great watch, even if you aren't a Christian. I certainly recommend The Saratov Approach. I wouldn't, however, recommend Batty's first film, Scout Camp: The Movie. It's a deadpan, trite, attempt for comedy, but it never succeeds in getting a single laugh. Unless, you laugh at stupid things, like one character being in an overturned outhouse.

9.5/10

Last edited by Mickey (July 27, 2014 (08:40am))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

The idea of cartoon characters and humans coexisting has indeed been done to death. But, may I remind you that it did not start with Space Jam. At the time of the movie's release, it was a brand-new idea that has not been touched upon before. And what a creative and fun idea it is. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is a sprawling collection of laugh-a-minute gags and a talented cast, all tied together by an exciting mystery storyline.

9/10

This is actually not a new concept.  In fact, "Bosco, The Talk-ink Kid" (1929) is the very first WB cartoon and it's a mix of Live Action & animation, and it's the concept of may "Out of the Inkwell" cartoons by Fleischer Bros (of Betty Boop fame).  It's found throughout cartoon history.  I'm a collector of golden age cartoons.  Anyway, Roger Rabbit really drove the concept home and it was well done.  I remember seeing it in the theatre.  Remember, also, that this superb animtion was done 100% without computer animation or computer effects of any kind!

-JUST NOTICED that many others responded similarly.  So I go on to my movie:

HEAVEN IS FOR REAL

Excellent movie.  My parents saw it in the movies and got the DD and the whole extended family & a friend all watched it together.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Guardians of the Galaxy

"Ohhhh yeahhhh."

I'll refrain from saying too much about this, so as not to accidentally spoil anything. 
Overall, I loved it.  Great acting, cinematography, music, VFX, all that was perfect.  I really like the way space looked in this film, also.
The story was quite good, and the style and genre of the movie fit very well together.  I can see why people are comparing it to Star Wars, it is really reminiscent of that in a good way, without feeling like a rip-off.

I'd give it a 10/10, absolutely wonderful.  Worth watching while in theaters, definitely.
Also...

Spoiler (click to read)

I am Groot

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
I really enjoyed Rise. It struck me as just being a good, solid film, and while I wouldn't say it was brilliant, I'd struggle to think of anything bad about it. I was very excited about Dawn, and confident that the film makers would take it in the right direction.

I was blown away. This film is incredible! The first five minutes carry us over from the first film very well, and straight into the action of the second one. I suppose this was slightly easier for me personally, as I rewatched Rise very recently, but I doubt anyone would have much trouble understanding it. The film is well-paced, filled with intrigue without being overly complex. The music is great, and though I didn't notice this personally, it is apparently reminiscent of the original Apes film, which is awesome.

What I really loved about this film was how unpredictable it was, in terms of the plot. I was slightly worried after seeing it compared to Avatar and Pocahontas, which would have been a very obvious route to take this film, but those comparisons were off.

Spoiler (click to read)

You have the apes and the humans, two sides opposed to each other, but there is no obvious right or wrong side. You naturally side with the interests of the humans, but in no way are the apes enemies. Maurice is probably the most relatable of the monkeys (and he gets one of the best lines of the film), while you can easily empathise with Caesar's internal conflict. Koba is clearly the villain, but many of the other apes have redemptive qualities, such as his son. Similarly with the humans, there are good and bad characters, but the line between them is fuzzy, unlike Avatar where there are evil humans and good humans, and not much in between. Gary Oldman's character has some questionable actions, but you can't say you don't empathise greatly with him, given the situation he is in.

The only thing I might change is Oldman's plot to blow up the Apes towards the end, which doesn't quite make sense and perhaps takes the story one twist too far. But that's very minor.

I haven't even mentioned the brilliant CGI used for the Apes (I normally prefer actual costumes where possible, but they got it spot on in this film), the wonderful cinematography throughout, the brief splatterings of humour throughout the film, or the incredible shot of a monkey dual wielding shotguns as he rides a horse through a wall of fire.

9.5/10. One of the best films I've seen in a while.

The Lego movie. We've all seen it at least 23 times.

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Guardians of the Galaxy

Basically, repeat everything Jonn said.

Overall it was a great movie, but it did have some huge lack of logic moments, as well as a few other things that I didn't care for. Sadly, with so many characters both good and bad, it's hard to develop all of them and several get only a scene of two, and/or have little to do.

The only other non-spoiler-y one is that it's got (or at least seemed to have) more cussing than the other Marvel films.
It was fairly in-your-face, and they didn't try to hide it or sweep past it. So I can't repeat some of the (otherwise) best and most hilarious lines.

Everything else is mostly in the third act, so I won't ruin it for you.
And no, the flaws don't even come close to ruining the film, but they are obvious.
You'll know them when you see them. mini/wink

DJango Unchained A well done film (somewhat) accurately portraying the slave life in the south in the US. It was a very tragic time for the black race, and Tarantino did a good job on letting people know on how it was kind of like in that era.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Transformers Age of Extinction mini/confused.

Lots of booms (thanks to Mr. Bay), mediocre acting, pretty decent story, Mark Wahlberg is a better actor than the previous lead, and the new main character actually did stuff instead of just run around screaming mini/lol.

-m1kut mini/sunnies

Guardians of the Galaxy
Loved it, great mix of Action, Comedy and Sci-Fi.  Felt very much like a mix of Star Wars and Star Trek.  My only real complaint was some of the ridiculous moments which just made me thing "you probably shouldn't be alive".
Probably my favourite film of 2014 (tied with X-Men DOFP)
4.5/5

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Just for kicks, a few friends and I tried Noah.  We thought we knew what we were getting into.  After 20 minutes had to shut it off.  It was so bad, we couldn't even MST3K it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I still have yet to see Noah. Did you think it was bad in terms of Biblical accuracy, or just that it was a badly made film?

I finally saw Pulp Fiction. It's really good, although I felt it dragged on a little too long at a few points.

I recently watched the Bourne Trilogy, and loved it. While normally shaky cam can be really bad, it fit with these movies, although there were a few points where it was slightly problematic. The movies got better and better with each sequal, which was really rare. Excellent action, and very interesting films.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Just for kicks, a few friends and I tried Noah.  We thought we knew what we were getting into.  After 20 minutes had to shut it off.  It was so bad, we couldn't even MST3K it.

But you missed the best part where Noah tries to kill his grandchildren

AquaMorph wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

But you missed the best part where Noah tries to kill his grandchildren

The writers definitely took some liberties...

no more brickfilming *sad face*.