Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Chris W. wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

the higher-dimensional beings are jerks, haha.

Spoiler (click to read)

They're us!

so, yeah, of course.

The Rocketeer
Disney, 1991

A super hero period film set during the years preceding WWII. Definitely feels like an attempted franchise starter. (The sequels never happened sadly.) Effects are good for a early 90's film and the art deco elements are fun. Timothy Dalton gets to stretch his legs as a Errol Flynn/Nazi villain. Great score by James Horner as well. The film really is like what the new Captain America would have been like if it had been made at the same time. (Interestingly, the director helmed both films. Perhaps this film is what got him the Captain America job?) Worth a watch if you enjoy films of this type.

Last edited by RedBrick1 (November 28, 2014 (10:31pm))

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

RedBrick1 wrote:

The Rocketeer
Disney, 1991

The film really is like what Captain America would have been like if it had been made at the same time.

Funny you should say that, they actually did make a Captain America movie in 1990. (Unfortunately, it was awful mini/tongue )

"Defeat is always momentary."

-Carl Denham, King Kong (2005)

texas_cheeto_hog wrote:
RedBrick1 wrote:

The Rocketeer
Disney, 1991

The film really is like what Captain America would have been like if it had been made at the same time.

Funny you should say that, they actually did make a Captain America movie in 1990. (Unfortunately, it was awful mini/tongue )

You're right! Looked it up again, forgot/didn't know that it was a 90's movie. My goodness it looks bad...

Compare the trailers:

Rocketeer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJL9aVp_1jE
Captain America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8rFsmhNTc

Yikes...

Yes. I remember when it came out it was very limited or straight to video or the moribund world because it was a bad movie (but with a great poster).  I also remember it being on the heels of the success of BATMAN.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Every Single EON Productions James Bond Film + Never Say Never Again

That's right ladies and gentlemen, I have watched everyone of them, some multiple times. I may be slightly obsessed...

Just saw Intersteller for the first time, and it was on IMAX, if you haven't seen it on an IMAX theater you haven't seen the same film. The reason is not about resolution or picture quality, it's about scale and aspect ratio. The film often switches between more traditional widescreen for a lot of the narrative driven dialog, but when it's focus is on space, expanse and scale the framing was much closer to square, it was intended for you to be unable to see the top of the screen at the same time as the bottom of the screen, the crest and the trough of the wave may be on the screen at the same time, but if your eyes can see both the imagery just does not have the same weight or enormity and this is an experience You CAN NOT get in a normal theater.

Going to see Exodus: gods and kings this evening. I'm not a huge fan of movies from the bible nor am I very religious but I do like the look and feel of the movie with the effects and I love Christian Bale's acting. So I'll post how it was when I get home and let you all know my thoughts on it.

Latest video: Zombie Blockade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XdMQWLu5I

The Son Of Shadowmarch: PreProduction Official Thread: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … brickfilm/
Script: 80% / Storyboards: 10% / Voice Acting: 0%

Last weekend ended up being my weekend of J-Law accidentally:

Mockingjay

As far as adaptions of single books into two movies go, this one was pretty good. Granted, I've never read the books, but I felt like it was overall an enjoyable movie. The acting was top notch, and the action set-pieces, while a little sparse, were all very intense. My only complaint, one that's almost a given for these types of adaptions, being that the movie just sort of seems to end without feeling like it has a full buildup to a climax. I'm still pretty excited for the last part, though. I can't say whether or not I liked this film better than the second, but It's still leagues ahead of the first.

Silver Linings Playbook

Now this is a great movie! I've been thinking of seeing this since it was so acclaimed last year, and I can really see why. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence both do a great job showing the various behaviors and traits of mental illness, and their relationship was so organic and fun to watch. I'm not usually one for romantic movies, but this one was plenty enjoyable.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

El Orfanato [The Orphanage]
Spanish horror film that manages to subvert the now stagnant genre with incredibly tense moments with the few jumpscares it has actually carrying believable and sensible buildup and consequence to them for the most part. I'm not exactly a fan of horror films but there were some moments that were so unapologetically creepy

Spoiler (click to read)

The 'One! Two! Three! Knock on the wall!' moment in particular was horribly spooky

One thing I will say about the spooky moments though is I'd say the film could have done with a few more of them.
It also manages to actually have a pretty decent story so I'd recommend this to people into the genre.

Last edited by jstudios (December 17, 2014 (10:29am))

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Really enjoyed this one. Good practical effects.

The Greatest Game Ever Played
Incredible, considering my thoughts beforehand on a movie about golf. Good acting and the pacing was exceptional.

Master and Commander
Pacing was very slow, which was kinda disappointing

The Prestige
This film made it in my top 5 fav list. I absolutely loved the plot and it's twist. A very intriguing watch. It's my first Nolan film I've ever watched.

After watching these movies, I feel like I finally experienced a glimpse of real cinema mini/smile

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

With all this stuff going on with Sony, I felt like having a laugh at the expense of North Korea, so I watched Team America. It's a pretty stupid film, but I was surprised how much effort was put into a movie made with marionettes, and it definitely has it's moments, mostly when mocking celebrities and the dictator we all love to hate, Kim Jong Il. I'd say it's worth watching just for that, considering current events. Not with your parents, though, that would be...awkward. It's quite offensive at times; no rating for a reason. mini/tongue

Ironically, a Dallas, Texas cinema is planning on doing a free screening of Team America in lieu of the cancelled film. I have read about how both filmmakers have expressed their frustration with the puppets.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mockingjay
To be totally honest this movie isnt very good.  It seems to be suffering the same problems that lots of "Part One" movies face.  It's quite boring because the anticipation for what happens in the next movie is so great. If you dont really care about the Hunger Games series this is one to miss.  But if you're a fan, go ahead and see it.  It hopefully did a good job of setting up the finale.
5/10

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies
I still like The Desolation of Smaug more than this one.  The role of Bilbo is much smaller than in the previous films because Martin Freeman does such a great job of playing that role.  The film ended well, and helped lead into the Lord of the Rings well.  The film is definitely a huge experment with CGI but that thankfully didnt affect the story too much.
6.5 or 7/10

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day (2014)

Steve Carrell is the comic highlight of this strangely short 75-minute long Disney "family film". And, I've attached quotes to those last words for a reason. Lately, Disney has, for some reason, thrown in a little more sexual humor than usual (and don't even think about going and putting in a Lion King reference!). It's kind of surprising, but then I realized that Night of the Museum trilogy director Shawn Levy is a co-producer on this movie.

Another part that bothers me is the fact that this is a 2014 adaptation of a 1972 book for children. The update is hard to watch, because of its relentless cliches, uninspiring acting (mostly coming from the child actors and actresses in the film), and the modernized characters and plot points that made the book so lovable and comedic to [then] children like me, who spent much of their early grade school years enjoying and reading it.

And with that update comes, of course, a massive stretch of brand-new plot points and story arcs conceived by the "brilliant" geniuses of a filmmaking team. These new plot points, of course, feature job interviews, birthday parties, wrangling a kangaroo, the consuming of green markers, a battered and beaten-up Chrysler Town and Country, a school play, Korean tacos, a junior prom, and Di]ck van Dyke. Yes, Dick] van Dyke. And you know what was missing? The railroad train pajamas! Where were those? (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then it's probably because you may or may not have read the book. I suggest you do so.)

It's an incredibly questionable and frustrating film to watch. But, stick your kids in front of it, and they'll probably be mildly entertained. Mildly.

2.7/10

Mickey, did you know that Alexander and the Terrible Horrible, No Good Very Bad day is one of my favorite childhood stories?  And I wondered how they handled it!  In the original story, to top off a really bad incident, his Mickey Mouse light bulb burned out.  I wondered if Disney stuck that in the story.  I also wondered if in the movie Alexander kept planning to move to Australia to get away from bad days, then resigned that they probably have bad days there, too.  But it sounds by your assessment like they went into a direction with the movie that I'd rather not know.

My two most recent films were I Robot and Christmas with the Kranks, the latter which I watched for th first time.

Frozen
The beginning is horrible and the end is even worse. The story is bland, and I couldn't stand the musical numbers (4 songs in the first 15 minutes... really?). I didn't expect anything anyway.
Yet I enjoyed it. Because the story didn't matter, and once the first 15 minutes are over it really starts to get nice. What I cared for was the characters (especially Anna and Olaf) and the way the interacted with each other. They are just funny, entertaining, and sometimes that's all a movie needs: too bad a message/moral always has to get in the way and spoil the fun. I couldn't care less about true love here, I wanted to see them having a good time trying to save the world while making me laugh with lines of dialogue that seemed fresh, spontaneous and sincere (I even ended up enjoying 3 songs... out of 8 ).
I remember someone complaining about plot holes, because the magical powers were not explained. I say: it's a plot device, we need it only as an excuse to make the story possible, and as long as the journey makes it worth it, who cares? It would have only ruined the movie with useless information, and personally I would've hated it. We really don't need to know.
Overall, when it works it's fantastic and couldn't have been done better, but when it doesn't it's just annoying, which is a shame, because knowing how good it can get makes it even more painful to watch.

Harry Potter 1, 3, 5 & 6
They're actually well done, but fortunately there still are plenty of thing that I can make fun of.

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Well,.... it was, different. If you were to watch this with the thoughts of Tolkien orJackson in your head, it will make you cry. So after the first 15 or so minutes, I just pushed all thoughts Tolkien out of my head and just enjoyed it for the goofy, dumb, if it can it will happen action.

As Tolkien's, The Hobbit:
2/10

As a dumb action movie:
6/10

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

In the original story, to top off a really bad incident, his Mickey Mouse light bulb burned out.  I wondered if Disney stuck that in the story.  I also wondered if in the movie Alexander kept planning to move to Australia to get away from bad days, then resigned that they probably have bad days there, too.

In the movie, it's far beyond just wanting to move to Australia (come to think of it, they completely glossed over Alexander's desire to move there anyways). It's as if he has some weird fetish with the country. He has Australian condiments, posters, instruments--such as a didgeridoo (which made for an awful adult joke in the film)--and other miscellaneous possessions that are all, in one way, or another, related to Australia.

Spoiler (click to read)

The theme of his birthday party is also--you guessed it--Australia. In the film, he had also wanted to do a class project on the country too, but had eventually gotten stuck with the African nation of Djibouti. Then, his teacher goes and assigns Australia to his [implied] rival, Philip. This is immediately before the aforementioned teacher spins the globe once again (it's how he assigns the countries to his students), and clearly points to Russia, while speaking the word "Lebanon" aloud.

Thanks, Mickey.