Re: Café Corner

I just found this animated LEGO Pirates advertisement from 1989 and I think it's amazing, so I thought I'd share it here. It features huge brick-built puppets animated so well that I thought it must be CG, but it all looks to be stop-motion to me. Definitely worth a watch; let me know what you think.

(...and Nswihart has pointed out in the chat that CG wouldn't have been as sophisticated back then, which I forgot to consider.)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/UberSocks/34.gif
That animation is incredible! Thanks for sharing.

There's no way it's CG, only the past few years of VFX advancements could make the bricks look that realistic.

R.I.P. B.B. King

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Slurping Animations wrote:

I'm like you, as well.
I'm not overly thrilled about Dimensions to say the least. Its too license heavy, with little of TLG's own themes in it. I am pleased with the inclusion of Doctor Who however, but that was nearly expected, what with all the rumours that we are getting a Doctor Who set very soon. The fact that Portal's Chell is in it, with a new Portal mold does strike me that we may be seeing some sort of Portal-related-set in the near future. Now that, has me interested.

Yeah, an entirely new mould for the Portal gun does suggest a "proper" Portal theme (or at least set), given that I doubt LEGO would make such a new licensed mould for a one-off tie-in.  (That said, they've gotten pretty crazy with introducing new moulds--just look at at the CMF theme, or The Simpsons theme for that matter...).  Hopefully a testing chamber or GLaDOS.  Still kind of surprising considering they turned the CUUSOO project down.

As for the Doctor Who theme, the Ideas project was officially accepted, so we'll definitely be seeing it in some shape either way.  Since Ideas projects are for stand-alone sets, I doubt this will be the only bit we'll see of it.

sillypenta wrote:

I just found this animated LEGO Pirates advertisement from 1989 and I think it's amazing, so I thought I'd share it here. It features huge brick-built puppets animated so well that I thought it must be CG, but it all looks to be stop-motion to me. Definitely worth a watch; let me know what you think.

(...and Nswihart has pointed out in the chat that CG wouldn't have been as sophisticated back then, which I forgot to consider.)

I remember seeing this a while back, but wow, is that amazing.  If indeed this does come from 1989, it's defintiely stop-motion.  I'm 99% CGI (as in reasonably realistic-looking 3D modelling/animation) didn't even exist in 1989, certainly not at a level available to be used for toy commercials.  (Wikipedia mentions that The Abyss and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which featured the first CG water effect and first digital composite, respectively, came out in the same year.)  Either way, the motion is amazingly fluid, from the quick-building puppets to the coins tumbling out of the chest.  Can't imagine how long that must have taken.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (May 15, 2015 (07:24pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

That's nuts. Why can't LEGO do all their adds like that? There'd be so many job opportunities. mini/tongue

backyardlegos wrote:

That's ***********. Why can't LEGO do all their ads like that? There'd be so many job opportunities. mini/tongue

Ads are supposed to make you want their products. This one didn't make me want to buy the set.
The only place The LEGO Group can get money from these types of videos are if they put them on LEGO dot com. They can't earn money from YouTube because why would an ad need ads before it?
I admire it for its complexity and stunning animations but it isn't ideal for television.
The only stop motion advertisements by LEGO are Tongal entries, and mixels and some others mostly animated by Garett Barati. The rest are CGI animated, and those also create job opportunities.

EDIT: Anyone know the animator of that ad?

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I remember Ardman mentioning about making some ads for lego with huge lego characters doing things, and I can't help but wonder if they did some of these ads.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

The YouTube account HallOfAdvertising has it in an Aardman playlist. There is no source, but it's something. They also have this LEGO train ad which bears strong resemblance to The Wrong Trousers, despite being released two years earlier. A YouTube comment says that it is a spoof of an 80's British Rail ad, but I think I have found the ad and it has many similar shots but doesn't actually feature the track being laid as the train moves. I could have found the wrong one, though.

mini/jaw

Speaking of Aardman, I just discovered that they were part of the talent behind the stop motion animation segments in the music videos Sledgehammer and Big Time. Absolutely had no idea about this until now.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

That's cool; I loved those videos.  Weird Al said about "Big Time" "It must've taken them hours to do that!"

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

backyardlegos wrote:

That's nuts. Why can't LEGO do all their adds like that? There'd be so many job opportunities. mini/tongue

I believe regulations prevent them from showing the toys moving on their own.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

What possible reason could they have for that nonsense?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

RedBrick1 wrote:
backyardlegos wrote:

Source? There's a lot of stop motion in LEGO ads, historically...

On a semi-related note, this short film commissioned by The LEGO Group's China branch is incredible.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

How have I never seen that before? I like the way they mix and match different animation techniques, from minifigures to completely brick-built characters.

Also the snake growing a face and arms was triiiiiiiippy

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Okay, you guys took my comment about the ad way to seriously, it was intended to be pretty tongue in cheek.

That film Smeagol posted has me itching to do something creative. Man I hate finals week.

ye for my multivariable calculus final i have 2 build one of these
http://www.nico71.fr/pritz-hatchet-planimeter/
blehh i dont have these parts what to i do

Stoopid Buddies Stoodios has animated a brickfilm that a just recently found: http://youtu.be/5Ws1KrOKP-Y
It's pretty cool and I think it's worth sharing even though it's Transformers Kre-O blocks and figures.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I actually own a few Kre-O TFs.  I never let them mingle with my Lego.  This film was an offiical Hasbro video.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Sméagol wrote:
RedBrick1 wrote:
backyardlegos wrote:

Source? There's a lot of stop motion in LEGO ads, historically...

On a semi-related note, this short film commissioned by The LEGO Group's China branch is incredible.

I read something about it a LONG time ago, can't seem to find it again. I remember the gist of it was that LEGO couldn't show the toys 'building themselves.' They had to make that clear to children.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I once heard something similar to what RedBrick said. Basically, by animating the legos and showing them moving by themselves, it would classify the add as false advertising.

Edit: I found where I read it. It was in "Brick Flicks" (the book) on page 4.
"Some of these methods use by Advance in the past, where LEGO toys are "magically" constructed, would not be allowed under more recent advertising standards, which must show the toy being physically build or maneuvered if it cannot move on its own in actuality (a LEGO helicopter flying, for example)." (that is an excerpt from the book.)

Last edited by Rivvm m (May 24, 2015 (04:20pm))

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8