Re: Dragonframe 4 and mirrorless cameras

You also will want to have the camera plugged into power so that it does not die while filming. So you are going to have a cable anyways.

Brick Corner wrote:

Looks great, however I must admit that I use more photos per scene. I don't want to say that you are just lucky, I believe it is your skill and experience, I just want to mention that I was not able to track flickering when used just few photos per scene.

This is the video I made with Galaxy S6 that involved walking cycles and more frames overall mini/smile check it out if you want. I do have to admit shooting that way was hard even though it only took a few hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4vtIAsn5UI

Doing walking cycles without the ability to play it back is unnecessarily hard and I wouldn't recommend that solely because there's better ways of doing it.

Just thought I'd post real quick, if you haven't already seen it, they're offering a student discount which is pretty sweet.

I saw that a while back.  I've been wondering: is it eligible for any student?  They don't seem particularly clear on that.  (I'm assuming "student" means someone in full-time college/university education.) Is it just for students in art degree programs or for those who need it for "work-related" things?  Though coming to think of it I'm not sure how they'd have any way of being able to enforce an arts-student only policy even if they wanted to.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

My understanding is that any university/college student is eligible, regardless of their degree program. My university issues out student IDs, if yours does the same, you should be all set just scanning a copy and uploading it.

Wow, that's awesome that they're doing that now! Back when v3 came out, they only offered academic discounts for schools buying a bulk pack of licenses for in-school use. Wonder if I could twist some arms at DZED to let em get me a discount on an upgrade to v4, though... mini/shifty

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Mr Vertigo wrote:

I saw that a while back.  I've been wondering: is it eligible for any student?  They don't seem particularly clear on that.  (I'm assuming "student" means someone in full-time college/university education.) Is it just for students in art degree programs or for those who need it for "work-related" things?  Though coming to think of it I'm not sure how they'd have any way of being able to enforce an arts-student only policy even if they wanted to.

My understanding is that most students who at least take some sort of class or was in a class could make it clear in an email and get the student discount. That was how i could get the 3rd version at a smaller price, and got a free upgrade to the 4th in the process. Something like that could definitely help at least twist their arm in some way.

Last edited by The Motion Hero (April 6, 2017 (09:28pm))

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

SlothPaladin wrote:

You said you don't have other settings in manual mode? You need every setting the camera has to be set manually or they could change between pictures.

As far as wireless goes, pretty much any good setup for stop motion with have wires unfortunately. One of the keys is to get your hands off your camera so if you are using a phone and touching the phone every frame there is a high likelihood that you will be bumping your camera. Dragonframe is not running on iPhones or iPads, but is connected to them via USB and controlling the camera remotely. Dragonframe is a really great piece of software but many people don't need all of it's features and many won't be able to justify the cost of entry. If you do wonder about using it and have a supported camera it's a good idea to check out the demo and see how you like using it and if you think it's worth the $300 investment. Right now I have a ton of cables in my setup, from the Dragonframe remote, a USB cable to my Canon SL1, a power cable to the SL1 and another cable to the auxiliary monitor I run Dragonframe on. Then there are all the power cords to my lights. I have shown other photographers my animation setups and they are always surprised at how tethered and tied down everything is, but ideally you want nothing operating on battery and all connections to be rock solid. I have been shooting a lot of my stuff in RAW which means each frame is 20mb which would take forever to wirelessly transfer.

Thank you for feedback!
I use software called AirDroid (preview is crap) and I don't touch my camera.
Could you be more specific when you are talking about manual mode settings?
I mean I described all settings what I am able to change in camera's manual mode. Isn't it enough? (Please feel free to share other keywords what I should google)

Sonjira wrote:

Wow, that's awesome that they're doing that now! Back when v3 came out, they only offered academic discounts for schools buying a bulk pack of licenses for in-school use. Wonder if I could twist some arms at DZED to let em get me a discount on an upgrade to v4, though... mini/shifty

I you are making money off of your brickfilms you shouldn't be using an Academic License.

Yeah, I just saw that. I've been on a normal, non-academic licence this whole time, so I ain't a dirty rotten crook atm. Just spit balling cause I love me some sweet sweet student discounts mini/love I'll probably just upgrade the normal way whenever I get more money.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

So since I've been thinking of getting dragon frame for a while, would people say that the $95 increase is worth it for the new features? I would hope so, as it would be a shame if not since I could have got Dragonframe 3 and just not updated it. Would be good to know! mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

So since I've been thinking of getting dragon frame for a while, would people say that the $95 increase is worth it for the new features? I would hope so, as it would be a shame if not since I could have got Dragonframe 3 and just not updated it. Would be good to know! mini/smile

Dragonframe 4 is $295 (about 240 pounds), the same price as 3 (this is as long as you go with the old usb keypad controller; it's $325, or about 362 pounds with the new Bluetooth controller). The $95 dollar price mentioned is for people upgrading from 3 who bought it before 2016.
As far as I can tell, the main differences between 3 and 4 are camera compatibility Bluetooth functionality, though I'm sure there are improvements all around. I haven't upgraded yet, but you might as well go for v4 if you buy Dragonframe.

Hope this helps.

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Ok thanks, hopefully I can get it in the next week mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?