Re: Works-in-Progress Post and Critique

I'm with Riley - the horizon break and the seam in the sky is a little too much. If you can eliminate those, it will be great.

- Leo

Here's a very short clip - just two shots of the opening to the film I'm working on, titled "Enjoy the Show." I tried to simulate camera shake in After Effects by shooting layers of footage and arranging them in 3d space. The film is a strange sort of mystery, based on the concept of a government that has the ability to use technology to constantly watch its citizens. The title is based on that.

Anyway, let me know what you think!  There's actually no stop-mo in these first two shots.

Vimeo Link

~ Amanda

Last edited by AmandaHart (August 18, 2009 (11:59am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AmandaHart/Images/signature.png

That looks pretty neat. The camera shake would work a lot better if it were more sudden, like it's jerking around rather than smoothly bobbing. I guess that tends to happen with digital camera movements, though. If possible, I'd recommend using a wiggle expression on the movement, so it's more random. Also, a little more variety in the buildings going by in the second shot might help, since it's obviously a repeating pattern.

Really great amanda!

Nick Durron wrote:

The camera shake would work a lot better if it were more sudden, like it's jerking around rather than smoothly bobbing.

In this case, I disagree... it's a calm scene, and I think the smooth motions work well, even if they aren't the most realistic. Looks very nice.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

b-e-a-utiful.

Well done CGI in brickfilming really blows me away.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

Noodle wrote:
Nick Durron wrote:

The camera shake would work a lot better if it were more sudden, like it's jerking around rather than smoothly bobbing.

In this case, I disagree... it's a calm scene, and I think the smooth motions work well, even if they aren't the most realistic. Looks very nice.

You know, I'm still debating whether or not to make it heavier. It's not really a calm scene, the scene is based on contrast, both in sound and visuals - it cuts between the character on the train and the morning a half-hour earlier, sort of like a flashback. So the phone that's ringing is how I transition between this timeline and the morning - it's a call he gets that causes him to leave by train.

Oh, and Nick - I am using the wiggle expression on the position and the orientation of my camera in AE. I'll just amp up the settings a bit. I'll also add some more variety in the second shot.

Thanks for the comments, guys. mini/smile

~ Amanda

Last edited by AmandaHart (August 19, 2009 (11:14am))

Here's a small WIP I did a while back. It's not from a movie - just a frame...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bolty-libo/Screenshots/detectivescreenshot.jpg

-Cougar
formerly
Jerry Hunte

Not bad, though the sets a little plain (background perhaps), and the focus is in the middle, not making it particularly interesting cinematography wise. The colours are nice, but maybe a little too light, how about a more eerie, night-time feel, given what seems to be happening in the shot (I'm presuming the guy in the trenchcoat isn't friendly). Also, all the figures seem to be looking in the direction of the camera, which looks a little odd to me.

This may seem to be all negatives, but I'm trying to help, and it's actually not a bad shot in the first place.

Alright! Currently we at Hemma Studios are working on a Brickfilm almost in completion, called Coins, a video that's trying to create an atmosphere with music and lighting. It's technically Hemma Studios first full out production.
The music is made by LogicWithinReason, therefore giving it an original score.
Here's the first advertisement properly made. Is should be releasing it soon in the Films Dictionary, just 5% Footage left to shoot, and the music, and then it'll be complete.

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy121/HemmaStudios/CoinsAdvert.jpg

Check out our new film - Advert! mini/delirium

AmandaHart wrote:

Here's a very short clip - just two shots of the opening to the film I'm working on, titled "Enjoy the Show." I tried to simulate camera shake in After Effects by shooting layers of footage and arranging them in 3d space. The film is a strange sort of mystery, based on the concept of a government that has the ability to use technology to constantly watch its citizens. The title is based on that.

Anyway, let me know what you think!  There's actually no stop-mo in these first two shots.

Vimeo Link

~ Amanda

Fantastic! CGI effects are great and the overall setting is wonderfully done. Though it's only a title sequence, it was very enjoyable. I look forward to watching it upon it's release.

Hemma Studios wrote:
AmandaHart wrote:

Vimeo Link

~ Amanda

Fantastic! CGI effects are great and the overall setting is wonderfully done. Though it's only a title sequence, it was very enjoyable. I look forward to watching it upon it's release.

Doh! Double posting again. mini/frustrated

Yeah, triple post while you're at it mini/wink .

-Don

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

AmandaHart wrote:
Noodle wrote:
Nick Durron wrote:

You know, I'm still debating whether or not to make it heavier. It's not really a calm scene, the scene is based on contrast, both in sound and visuals - it cuts between the character on the train and the morning a half-hour earlier, sort of like a flashback. So the phone that's ringing is how I transition between this timeline and the morning - it's a call he gets that causes him to leave by train.

Oh, and Nick - I am using the wiggle expression on the position and the orientation of my camera in AE. I'll just amp up the settings a bit. I'll also add some more variety in the second shot.

Thanks for the comments, guys. mini/smile

~ Amanda

Ah Wiggler, my favorite tool. If you amp it up enough to make it almost vibrate, and add motion blurring effects to accentuate that, it might lend the feeling of a train more easily. Other than that, looks pretty good? I assume it's meant to be a train...

Donsalvatore, a triple post is better than a meaningless one mini/wink

Okay, I just animated this one scene for my upcoming film Sequel is Irrelevant, and I had a stroke of miniscule genius, and I want to see what you guys think of it.

http://brixaranimation.com/thefinalcountdown.jpg

I'll resize the picture if it's too big. Anyway, while I was setting up the shot, in the upper right hand corner of the frame, the set was too low, thus revealing the "real world". I didn't want to just make the wall taller, because I hate how that looks, but I couldn't place a plate over the top- a "ceiling"- because it would cast a horrible shadow over that area of the set. So, I made the wall taller with a solid wall (no corner) of grey bricks, creating the illusion that there was a ceiling. Anyway, how do you think it looks?

Last edited by Littlebrick (September 24, 2009 (07:18pm))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Looks nice.  I've tried similar tricks for showing the edges of the ceiling before.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

How do you get that close zoomed in
My D60 cant get that close and be focused

That's just about how close up it can focus. I'm sure if the minifigure was one stud closer, I wouldn't be able to focus on him correctly.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Yes, Ladon, it is a train.

And that looks great, Littlebrick. Smart way to pull off the effect.

~ Amanda

That's great Littlebrick! I also like how you did the stairs too. mini/smile

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png