Re: Careers in Film Making

I and a bunch of other brickfilmers on Skype (Just Kidden included) have all decided we want to work in making cartoons. My Little Pony is more than a little to blame.

I've started learning Flash. I know how to animate in it now but I've yet to come up with anything with a plot. There's just so much to dooooooo~♫

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Well, I actually can't decide between half of those things listed. I would definitely like to be a script writer, I'm always full of ideas I don't get to put on paper. I also take acting classes, which I love doing. Animation, well, that too I love doing, although I'd prefer to work with stop motion films rather than computer animation. Then, editor would be something really interestring, but I still have to learn more about that to decide. I have also considered being a voice actor (or dubber, which is more common here, but a bit different). And lastly, director, although I have the same worries of some of you.
And I'd probably work for movies, but maybe it could help to start with television.

Hazzat wrote:

have all decided we want to work in making cartoons.

Yea, that is what I meant in my thoughts on what I wanted to be. A cartoonist for television is a (fairly) small team that I could easily work with. I have tried flash animation before, and seeing the different styles you can use, I still prefer traditional animation (over puppet and bone rigged animations used in some shows today).

An actor will most likely never appear on my list of career thoughts. Getting in front of a camera and talking (more like "um, yea... this is uh.. um") isn't my type of thing.

I can't draw, so animation is out. I would love to get into 3D animation and take stop motion further - but you NEED to draw if you want to take degrees in animation. I can still write animation though...

YouTube
Max, She/They

I suffer from that brickfilmer curse where you just want to be an auteur doing everything. The only career I see myself in and would be able to perform in would be in film/tv/entertainment. I don't know how I'll get into the industry so I'm just going to see how it goes

Yeah, as I said before, I've been spoiled by Brickfilming when your in control of absolutely everything.

YouTube
Max, She/They

That being said I've managed to work on group projects in and out of college. What I found is that brickfilming lets you have a wide set of skills. Editing, directing, sound recording, ect. so if you manage to adapt to group work you can come in handy

Dude, I want to be the guy who holds the boom-pole over the actors!! mini/XD

jk... I would be a director but nobody listens to me ever and nobody does what I tell them to... :C
I rather like editing. And if I lived in the 80's I would love to be a matte painter.

Matte painting isn't dead! Sure most of it's digital painting these days but if you want to do matte painting with real paint, I'd suggest you go for it.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

Dude, I want to be the guy who holds the boom-pole over the actors!! mini/XD

In my experience, no one has the job of boom operator unless told.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

yay!

ALthough I probably would enjoy regular painting more (like not for a film, just for fun.)
If I was to work in film for sure I would want something about art direction or something like that.

Oh yeah, and I forgot they still did concept art too >.<

Movie and television:
I think that all movie-making positions would be good,but i think the best for me would be:
Camera man. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/StevieCollins/smiles/camerathing.gif

-CDP

Last edited by Troodon (January 1, 2012 (02:47pm))

Hazzat wrote:

I and a bunch of other brickfilmers on Skype (Just Kidden included) have all decided we want to work in making cartoons. My Little Pony is more than a little to blame.

I would like to do cartoons as well, but not because of MLP (no, I don't watch it).  I just like cartoons in general because you can do all sorts of funny stuff that you can't do in real life.  Not wanting to do 3-D computer animation puts me in a cartoon TV show anyway, most other forms of animation besides that are used in cartoons.  I like comedy in general, so I would like to scriptwrite for a cartoon as well (maybe also for a live-action sitcom).

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

I really want to be a director/writer/actor/animator eventually. Maybe not all at the same time, though. xD
For a long time I've wanted to make movies, I have a lot of ideas...

I'm currently working as a freelance VFX compositor in the film industry, about to graduate from university in may and I'll be looking to working at the likes of Double Negative etc.

*BUMP*

I'd love a job as a director, writer, or editor.

Last edited by Tobias (January 8, 2014 (10:07am))

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

*DOUBLE POST*

Sorry for all the bumping and double posting but anyway, I haven't actually thought about many things that Max has said, and now that I do, I thought about a situation if someone in the team screw up, I wouldn't be able to be...well, strict I guess. Yep. That's me. Although it's a dfferent situation when someone does something and you want it a bit different way, I mean you can just tell them something like "Interesting, but blah blah blah" and so on, but when someone totally screws up, it's just hard for me to fire them, I don't wanna be a jerk but I don't want the movie to be awful. I guess I'll try to work on that.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png

Scriptwriter, actor or voice actor.
I'd also love to be an animator for a stop motion studio.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

As I said before; I definitely want to be a director and writer of live-action films, for sure. But I've also been thinking a lot about also being a special effects supervisor. I'll just keep exploring, as I have still a loooooot of time until my final decision. mini/tongue

Last edited by Tobias (March 17, 2012 (12:04pm))

YouTube | Twitter 

I would (and maybe trying to) get a job as a location scout for films or maybe be a cinematographer.

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.