Topic: BiM Weekly

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8423/7550984002_1024950c5b_z.jpg

Hey all, so this is a new idea I had. It's somewhat like a brickfilming podcast, but not really; it's basically an overview of the most important things that've happened on BiM in the past week. The idea is if you're gone for a week, or too busy animating to check BiM, you can just watch this every week to get an idea of what you might've missed. The first episode is out, and quite long; obviously I didn't mean for it to be this long, and next week I'll certainly make it a point to ramble less and make it about half the time. Thoughts, comments, and criticism welcome and appreciated!

Episode 1 7/11/12

Episode 2 7/18/12

Episode 3 7/25/12

Episode 4 8/1/12

-kcirbfilms

Last edited by kcirbfilms (August 1, 2012 (05:20pm))

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

Re: BiM Weekly

Condense it, make it more snappy (maybe 7ish mins max?) and need some production value, some sort of 3d animated intro and cool music with your logo would help.

This is something I would listen to while doing work etc to catch up. Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b3Q-aKE … ature=plcp i would enjoy.

Just my opinion anyway, was still interesting to listen to.

Thanks for the response! I agree, it certainly needs to be shorter, but that's not very easy if I'm doing it once a week. I was thinking about doing it twice a week; also in terms of production, I wouldn't mind spending more time working on it, if there were a good amount of support. The reason why I'm doing it live is, again, because it's simpler; seeing as I'm doing this for the community, I wouldn't mind spending the extra time, as long as enough people were to watch it.

EDIT: Would it be better if I were to do it daily, and make it about the previous day? And not do the weekends, but make Monday cover Sat and Sun?

Last edited by kcirbfilms (July 11, 2012 (11:41am))

Youtube

Sorry, but I got through about 20 minutes of it and had to turn it off for awhile. I really like your idea, and you are really getting good at these things, but the episodes have to be less than 20 minutes or you're going to lose people. But, overall I did enjoy it! ;D

It needs to be shortened, (Duh!) and you should probably ramble less, and try to get to the point faster.
BUT, I really like the concept, so keep it up.
(Especially the stuff about me, I could play that part over and over all day long. mini/tongue)

Anyway, I would keep it at a weekly thing. Twice a week would just be too much.
Having a nice weekly overview is something that I would listen to and use to make of to make sure that I didn't miss anything important. Twice a week would be over-kill, and I'd probably forget watching/listening to either one.
I do like the thoroughness of it, if you could somehow keep that while cutting down the time, it would be awesome.

(Speaking of awesome, I can now guess your two favorite descriptive words for when you really like something.)

So great job! I'm glad that somebody is doing this type of thing, as it could be very useful.

(And no, my name isn't Richard, it almost was, but thankfully it's not. mini/lol)

Well, I didn't quite get through all 40+ minutes of it, but I like the idea. A lot has already been said, so I won't restate the obvious. I will comment on the time-length though. I would shoot for something around 10-12 minutes. Rhett & Link on YouTube have a morning show they do every week day that is this duration and works wonderfully. It's not too long, but it's also not too short.

To help cut down on the time slot, I would suggest typing a quick outline for each show before you broadcast. This way you won't tend to ramble on as much and you can be sure to hit the points effectively. Also, perhaps have a countdown screen on your computer so you can monitor how long you have been going.

I'd be interested in contributing to this somehow if you need help. It has a lot of potential, especially if you can get some regular highlights and content such as a portion of the show to discuss new Brickfilms, another to discuss community information, and etc.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, 10-12 minutes would be an ideal time; I did have an outline of what I wanted to go over, but because I was doing this all live, I couldn't really edit anything. However, for next week, I'll certainly actually record this and whatnot before uploading it; therefore I'll be able to edit it, put the pictures actually in the video, hopefully do an intro thing, and whatnot. In terms of regular highlights, what if I were to do a somewhat quick overview of everything, hitting the main things while not rambling or anything, and have a "brickfilm of the week" or "thread of the week" or something? The idea being that I'd mention the "top" (in my opinion) new brickfilm of the week. Or, with "thread of the week," the thread that had the most interesting/exciting/important new items (for example, the "Frame from your Upcoming Film," if there were a lot of good frames, or an update thread for a new good looking project). Feedback on these ideas would be awesome, as I am doing this for the BiM community, and whatever you guys (and gals!) want, I'll gladly do.

P.S. Rsteenoven, yeah the inspiration from this came mostly from that mini/tongue

-kcirbfilms

Youtube

You should try to cut down on your umms, and ehmms (Editing and takes would help with that although I realise you made this one live) and throw a light on your face.
It's pretty good, and if you feel you can sustain this then do it. Weekly features, an intro, and tight editing would make this rather enjoyable.
Good luck!

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Not mush to say that hasn't already been said.

You were talking about stairs for WIP and Tests... I skipped ahead about a minute.... You were still talking about stairs.

awesome Idea keep it up! mini/bigsmile

Last edited by Coyote Creek Films (July 14, 2012 (07:00pm))

Episode 2 now out! At a little over 10 minutes, it's much shorter, much more to the point, and overall much better. Thanks for watching, keep the feedback coming!
-kcirbfilms

Youtube

You should switch "BIM Weekly" for "Brickfilming weekly".

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Cartoonkid98 wrote:

You should switch "BIM Weekly" for "Brickfilming weekly".

Hm. I'd prefer to keep it as BiM Weekly, and I have plans of possibly contacting Smeagol to see what would be needed for him to approve it as an "official" BiM weekly show (and if he'd be interested in doing so). However, if he doesn't want to be one, and/or if enough of you all prefer Brickfilming Weekly as a name, I'd be willing to change it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Youtube

Posted my feedback in the comments.

Otherwise, I think you should just name them 'Bim Weekly - Episode 1' and episode 2 - episode 3 etc, easier to find in search results and looks nicer, not sure what anyone else thinks but yah.

edit: oh and I liked the outro line, I'll get the news you do the filming, keep that, say it at the end of every video.

I like the idea of this! The second episode had a nice length compared to the other one. I only noticed some small things.
Some places, your audio "stacked"(if you understand) over eachother. Two audio tracks, where one of them went on top of the other so I couldnt actually understand what one of them said. This happened a few times when you put up pictures. (example: The collectible minifigure-part) When you put up a picture of Sean's (awesome) elevator, I think it was the picture of it, but I dont know for sure cuz I didnt get to see it because the picture lasted like 0,5 seconds... So some of your pictures didnt last long enough for me to see them clearly. (Of course I could have paused the video, just pointing it out) I dont know if it's only my computer having problems loading, but I dont think so..

If you want to get some help or someone to edit it for you (putting pictures up, or text or whatever) I could do it for you.

I need a new name! HELP

Mjolnir wrote:

I like the idea of this! The second episode had a nice length compared to the other one. I only noticed some small things.
Some places, your audio "stacked"(if you understand) over eachother. Two audio tracks, where one of them went on top of the other so I couldnt actually understand what one of them said. This happened a few times when you put up pictures. (example: The collectible minifigure-part) When you put up a picture of Sean's (awesome) elevator, I think it was the picture of it, but I dont know for sure cuz I didnt get to see it because the picture lasted like 0,5 seconds... So some of your pictures didnt last long enough for me to see them clearly. (Of course I could have paused the video, just pointing it out) I dont know if it's only my computer having problems loading, but I dont think so..

If you want to get some help or someone to edit it for you (putting pictures up, or text or whatever) I could do it for you.

Yeah Rsteenoven already pointed that out on YouTube; I'm not sure exactly what happened with that, when I originally edited it all the pictures were a good length and the audio was fine; however, the program completely botched out on me, then I had to reload it from an auto-save, which is probably where the problem occurred (also the way I was adding in the pictures wasn't the most practical). Next week it won't be a problem, but thanks for offering to help mini/smile

Youtube

I must say I am impressed.  You are very well spoken, and this episode is much better paced than the first.  It was great meeting you at Bricks by the Bay, and hopefully, you will go again next year and meet BuilderBrother Daniel.  Also, thanks for mentioning "The Squire and the Scroll."

Nice job, and keep up the good work!

- BuilderBrother John

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

Wonderful job! You pulled this week's show off much better! Consider me subscribed. Adding the links into the description was a great addition as well as cutting down the time. I also like the "gosh darn tootin'" good ending tag line you used: "I'll get the news, you do the filming, and I'll see you next week!" My biggest suggestion would be getting the audience involved. You said something about a weekly question and that would be a good addition. Getting the audience involved in several areas would be nice.

This webcast is great because it revealed several gems on the forum that I somehow missed. Keep up the good work! I'm sure you'll work out the editing bugs as you go.

Hey there, great job. Really liked it, and just like RS, I was alerted to several great things I had missed. I agree, getting some viewer questions in there would be great. The video also had some editing problems, but I think you know that. mini/smile

Again, great job.

Edit: Eh, just removed some off-topic random thought of mine.

Last edited by AnW (July 21, 2012 (05:15am))

Erm, was that the link you meant to post?

I was wondering, did you drop the podcast? Is this taking it's place?
Also, you look like you have a lot on your plate. Like Lechnology said, I'm sure you will need help eventually, too.

Edit: Removed some pointless stuff relating to that off-topic bit in my first comment.

Last edited by AnW (July 21, 2012 (05:23am))