Topic: Stop Meets Live

Directory Link

Stop Meets Live

Moo-Ack!

My second go at combining realtime recording and stopmotion, and I'd say it worked out reasonably well

You can see a breakdown of the main shot here, as well.

Last edited by PdoubleyouC (February 23, 2013 (02:38am))

http://theduckcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/design_flaw.png
Moo-ack Productions! Latest release: "Design Flaw"~Patrick W. Crawford

Re: Stop Meets Live

Wow, that was amazing! Very cool.

This is awesome

Formerly GoldenAnimations

what kind of camera do you use?

Please don't double-post.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

What are you talking about? ^

Last edited by OSnapCinema (February 21, 2013 (01:09pm))

Wow! I've always wanted to do something like that where you combine live action with stop motion in the same "second," or screen. How exactly did you do this?

Very well done!

The animation smoothness and quality really surprised me. It's stellar!
Storyline was super-basic, and has been done before. (More-or-less)
The set is nothing....Literally, but my only other gripe is this:
Why is the Lego minifigure's torso on backwards?

You did a great job, but it's really not much more than a glorified test.
Great animation is nice to have, and the integration between the two formats is done very well,
but remember, it's the story that truly carries movies. mini/wink

This was beautiful. Sure, the rotoscoping wasn't flawless and you could see the boundaries, but it was pretty seamless. I would love to see this taken to the next level and heavily integrate this into a liveaction film. I would also like to see some behind-the-scenes footage of how you did this.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Very well done!

The set is nothing....Literally, but my only other gripe is this:
Why is the Lego minifigure's torso on backwards?

You did a great job, but it's really not much more than a glorified test.
Great animation is nice to have, and the integration between the two formats is done very well,
but remember, it's the story that truly carries movies. mini/wink

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention this was my very first animation at 24fps. Woohoo! As for the sets, I traditionally spend a huge amount of production time in creating sets, but I'm currently at university and as such the entirety of my lego collection is a small plastic bag of figures and this grey baseplate. I figure it's the best opportunity to explore the realm of extra editing and special effects since I have nothing else to work with.

The backwards minifigure: From "Design Flaw", my previous big animation, I had characters with only solid color torsos, but I didn't have any all-grey ones so I would animate by switching the orientation of the torso to keep the "front" always unseen; I forgot about this after halfway through animating it, and since I have other projects I want to get on with, I just decided to accept it.

Problems with the rotoscoping were that: the exposure and color change between live action and stopmotion, even though everything was manual and the color balance was the same value; and that I forgot to do one of the hand movement recording before taking the camera off the tripod, so I had to deal with misaligned footage mini/smile

GoldenAnimations wrote:

what kind of camera do you use?

I used a Canon 60D, and the camera used as a prop.. no idea, I borrowed it from a friend mini/smile I used Canon's remote capture software (and frame-by-frame to periodically check the animation timing), which works brilliantly: I can control almsot everything on the camera from my comput without issue, I even somehow get live preview over the USB cable.

If you really want, I can upload a video that shows the screens of each after effects layer – I'll post the link later

Last edited by PdoubleyouC (February 21, 2013 (03:51pm))

I would love to see the after effects comp. Glad to hear someone else uses EOS Utility besides me... mini/lol

GoldenAnimations wrote:

What are you talking about? ^

I mean, don't post twice. If you scroll up, towards the top, you will see that you posted twice. You seem fairly new, so let me just say this. The people on Bricks in Motion don't like it when people double-post. If you look towards the bottom of the post, you will see the word EDIT. If you are about to double-post, just use the EDIT button. mini/wink

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Should it really matter, I mean it's just a post.

Not much to comment on because everything was awesome. Awesome animation, editing and everything else mini/bigsmile

GoldenAnimations wrote:

Should it really matter, I mean it's just a post.

If there's an option to edit your "just post" then why not go ahead and do that instead of double-posting? Just sayin'...

Hey all, I added the breakdown video as requested mini/smile

I saw this, and it was enjoyable to watch! Whatever way you edited it, it had looked like the Lego was real!

Awesome bit of work, I'm into creating something from no set, it shows imagination