Topic: Lego City's Hero

Directory Link

Lego City's Hero

YouTube Link

This is our second brickfilm, but we are extremely happy with it.  We've learned a lot and applied what we learned (as well as made a few purchases) toward making this film better.  There are still a few warts, but for this being our second film, we are very happy.  We hope you enjoy watching it as much as we did making it!

Last edited by AFewBricksShort (March 3, 2013 (08:42pm))

Re: Lego City's Hero

Realy good picture quality. I also like the twist at the end.

Thanks for that :-)

That was really good! Possibly the best brickfilm I've seen in quite a while. The animation was good, the sets were nicely built. The acting; I expected it to be one guy doing all the voices and making attempts to change voices every time he does a different character. But, it seems you had your whole family helping you out with the script and the voices, and you did real good with that. The idea was nicely executed and thought out. But, the black screen towards the end (around 2:32-2:40); a part of me felt that there could have been something that took up all that space. But, the guy is, after all, unclogging a toilet, so the viewer probably doesn't want to see that. mini/tongue Overall, though, that was really good; you have improved since your first film (which, to you, was probably just a channel introduction. I wondered why you didn't post it on Bricks in Motion). I look forward to your future films!

Last edited by Mickey (March 4, 2013 (06:27pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Wow, Mickey, thanks for such a great review.  We spent a lot of time on this and its nice to read such kind words.

We have to give credit to Aquamorph Productions for his help. He answered a bunch of questions and helped us get pointed in the right direction.  Tip of the cap to that fine gentleman mini/yes

So, have you seen those interviews with self-absorbed writers who really seem to overthink their work?  Yeah, I'm going to do that right now, so grab a barf bag mini/smile 

This whole film was based around the punchline that happened when the screen went dark.  The idea was to try to build tension around how ineffective the typical heroes were and lead people to start wondering who the real protagonist might be.  When revealed, the juxtoposition would result in a good laugh.  The dark screen was a creative device that was meant to force the viewer to use their other senses to reveal the punchline thereby heightening the impact.  The hope was that they would be leaning into their screen at the point of impact </self-absorbed blather>

Did we accomplish that?  Probably not at that level, but we think it was a fun film regardless.  One of the things that we really hope to grow on our brickfilming journey is the art of telling a story.  That really is the key to any great film, isn't it?

The other goal is for my 8-year-old to learn as much as he can about the process and to get some great bonding time for our family.  So far we are killing it on this one mini/smile

Again, thanks so much for such a nice response, the response we've gotten so far has really motivated my son to get us working on another one right away.  There's nothing better to a dad than a boy who wants to spend time building something together mini/yes

We wanted to thank everyone who took the time to watch our video.  We hit 500 views faster than we ever thought we would.

What an amazing community.

Great job. Did not see that ending. I really like
plot twists like that.
Look forward to seeing more of your videos.

Thanks a lot, Antonio.  We are about to embark on another, larger effort.  Any other feedback that folks can provide would be most welcome.  We're hoping to take another step forward with the quality of our films and our stories, so bring it! mini/bigsmile

We'll have a few shorts that pop up in the meantime too, those will be ripe for testing suggestions.

Thanks everyone.