Topic: 1741 Battle of Mollwitz

Directory Link

1741 Battle of Mollwitz

Lego Mollwitz Movie

War of Austrian Succession

Re: 1741 Battle of Mollwitz

Most people think that brickfilming or stopmotion is a waste of time but this shows in the end its all worth it mini/smile

Last edited by BrokenTV101 (March 9, 2014 (01:09pm))

BrokenTV101 was my original username it's nolverdose now.

Wow...That was great.
I love the cannon animation, as well as the great use of horses and large armies.
Getting all those minifigures to move in sync was very impressive, and in general the whole short was great.

The blood didn't always look that great, and I think a more classical/orchestral type music piece would have been more appropriate. The panning zooms at the start move too quickly, the yellow reins stood out, and there's not much story at all, but technically it is incredible.

Really good!! Although a lott of the gunshots would have been misfires.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Technically it's an impressive achievement. Crowd animation is hard and you did a great job. the animation of the canons was really well done. A bit of story would be nice, but it looks cool, so whatever. mini/tongue

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Wow...That was great.
The blood didn't always look that great, and I think a more classical/orchestral type music piece would have been more appropriate. The panning zooms at the start move too quickly, the yellow reins stood out, and there's not much story at all, but technically it is incredible.

Thanks for your feedback - we agree with it all, except we though the music was good (could have done without the choir, but we accidentally bought the version with the choir unfortunately).  We tried several tracks with this and most did not fit the action. It's always a struggle to find the right length etc. to fit, and also that does not cost too much

We thought the yellow reins were cool too since the black ones were invisible with black horses, but brickforge doesn't make them anymore and we just had those 5.

Too many splats that look like CGI pasted on, true.  Some of them turned out well but we still are working on that.  Those pans we could have slowed down, and should have.  We always shoot those easy shots last and by then we just wanted to finish this and be done.  Sure you've been there too.

And no story, because our youtube stats suggest that our initial movies which were all story, and even what we thought was humor, are very unpopular.  Mindless slaying across the millenia, on the other hand, is less unpopular.  So we have to give the people what they want.  Theoretically, maybe our movie will inspire some young person to now go LOOK UP the War of Austrian Succession, and how the map and control of the world looked in the 1740s, and how that led to the Seven Years War, and how that in turn led to the American Revolution, and then what happened in France after that, etc.  Or they'll click on another video to see stuff explode.

brickelodeon wrote:

Really good!! Although a lott of the gunshots would have been misfires.

Thanks - that's a good point.

BrokenTV101 wrote:

Most people think that brickfilming or stopmotion is a waste of time but this shows in the end its all worth it mini/smile

Thanks  -  there is a good case to be made it is worth it

backyardlegos wrote:

A bit of story would be nice, but it looks cool, so whatever. mini/tongue

exactly.  the story behind the movie is out there and easily found if looked for.  the video is just meant to get views, and perhaps it will introduce someone to the subject matter, if they are interested.  But probably not

OK, you know you can quote several people within one post right?
Between that and the edit button there wasn't really a need to quadruple post. mini/wink
We don't mind really long posts, but four in a row just inflates the post count for the thread to no purpose.

Anyway,
You're right, the average Youtuber prefers mindless explosions and fighting to anything with a heart, soul, and story. And make that mindless short linked with a licensed property and views multiply even more. I understand the desire to be popular and well-liked, but in brickfilming I believe the first priority should be to make a nice piece of art, not just a fan-magnet. The good thing is that is very possible to film some more scenes and add even a basic story to a big battle and get the best of both worlds.

Quick one-offs for views aren't evil or wrong. But if you're going to spend the great amount of time and effort to make a video like this, then I at least wish it would have been invested in something a bit more substantial. Yeah, I could go look the story up, but I'm too lazy and it's best to have a brickfilm relatively self-contained.
Still, that is only my opinion, and you are more than welcome to ignore it.

I'd say you could do a long- feature lego pirates film!
Question, at the end you wrote "for austrian and prussian accent voices". Even 'f  both Prussians and Austrians talked german, accents are actually different?

LegoStudiosP wrote:

I'd say you could do a long- feature lego pirates film!
Question, at the end you wrote "for austrian and prussian accent voices". Even 'f  both Prussians and Austrians talked german, accents are actually different?

We will probably do Jewish Pirates but it will not be more than a minute
Yes, one Austrian even told me that Austrian is a different language from German; but whether that is believed or not they do both (Germans and Austrians) think they have different accents.  Kind of like Canadians vs United States people.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

OK, you know you can quote several people within one post right?
Between that and the edit button there wasn't really a need to quadruple post. mini/wink
We don't mind really long posts, but four in a row just inflates the post count for the thread to no purpose.

Anyway,
You're right, the average Youtuber prefers mindless explosions and fighting to anything with a heart, soul, and story. And make that mindless short linked with a licensed property and views multiply even more. I understand the desire to be popular and well-liked, but in brickfilming I believe the first priority should be to make a nice piece of art, not just a fan-magnet.

We share your disappointment with the sparse/absent storyline in our videos.