Re: What was the last movie you watched?

MPfist0 wrote:

The Lego Movie.
I'd say I loved the movie, but it feels more appropriate to say that this movie loved me.

These words remind my of part of one of the reviews for Citizen of the Year on BiM:

Love is not a one-way street with COTY, everybody, no, it most certainly is not. It's a two-way street, congested with cartloads of pure AFFECTION travelling to either side.

MPfist0, I think concepts like allegory & symbolism are beyond the academy.  I actualyl forgot to put TLM on my favorite movies list in the top 10 thread, and it has nothing to do with that it's all about Lego.

I'm actually posting about the last movie I DIDN'T watch, but it is a funny anecdote, so hopefully I can share it here.  Someone came home from WalMart with the nicolas Cage Left Behind DVD.  So we planned to watch it last night.  we opened it, and THERE WAS NO DISC!  Now, I persoanlly don't believe in rapture, but veryone was upset about the missing disc, so I lightened the situation up a bit, saying, "The disc must have been taken up and the case was Left Behind!"  They thought it was amusing but I considered it downright clever.  I guess I amuse myself easily.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I had wanted to watch Left Behind for awhile. Didn't think it would get such a terrible reception, not to mention its multiple Razzie nominations. Anyways, I watched Selma yesterday.

Selma (2014)

If you liked Spike Lee's Malcolm X, you'll find this Best Picture nominee that documents the doings of African-American Civil Rights activist and minister, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., during the year 1965, interesting. Actually, Malcolm X is also a minor character in this movie. Tom Wilkinson's performance as LBJ, and the way the movie conveyed him, is bizarre and inaccurate. Common and John Legend's award-winning rap song at the end is a bit questionable. But, it has some uplifting moments and some beautiful cinematography, plus a moving performance from David Oyelowo from Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

9/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

If the movie Left Behind was panned by critics, all the more reason for me to watch it!  I think about as much of critics as I do of most contemporary TV writers.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

The Imitation Game

It was fine enough for an Oscar-baity period film, and Benedict Cumberbatch was great (though the role of Alan Turing doesn't feel like much of a stretch from his Sherlock role), but I really can't help but feel like we've reached critical mass with WWII movies. Every time the film reminded us of the war at large and showed archive footage of Nazi soldiers, I just sorta rolled my eyes. I've seen this period of history so many times in so many ways that it's no longer compelling to me.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

It's sort of hard to properly put into words, but this film somehow manages to be both a quintessential Wes Anderson movie and unlike anything he's ever made before. Either way, I found it quite funny and charming, and I think it's some of the best use of Anderson's storybook filmmaking style to date (of what I've seen of his, at least).

The Grand Budapest Hotel

This movie is just a big question mark for me.

I did not like it, yet it is a movie made by a good director, you can see that, and it actually has some moments of brilliance.
Everything is studied to be perfect: carefully composed shots, a variety of carefully thought characters, a carefully structured story. One cannot simply say the movie does not work: the movie carefully fails.

It's nice to have all those symmetrical shots, but after a few minutes I'd give anything to be able to turn my head, or at least move my eyes to a place that wasn't the center of the screen.
Characters: lots of them, well played by everyone, all of them saying the right thing at the right time, but it mostly seemed to me like everyone gave his own interpretation of the same character, actually.
The changing format, and interesting idea, remained only that: an interesting idea, not fleshed out, and, in the end, feeling rather useless (although I enjoyed watching a movie mostly in 4:3, which is quite unusual nowadays).

I started watching the movie with good expectations, I was prepared to like it, I was intrigued by a movie from a director whose previous works I enjoyed (at least the two that I saw)... I usually get my expectations right, I almost forgot what it felt like to be disappointed. Yes, it has some fun and charming moments, but everything that happened made me think: "what for?", and I couldn't think of an answer.
In the words of my brother: it's a big, pompous, elaborate decoration... a decoration of what? It's smart, all too smart for nothing.

How To Train Your Dragon 2
I love this movie. Everything about it is really cool - the visuals, the story, etc. I'm not really sure what else to say besides the fact that I like it, so I'll leave it at that. Definitely worth a re-watch. mini/wink

Big Hero 6
This was a really fun movie. I really liked how they mashed up the different genres for this movie, it had a touch of refreshingness, but still with the familiarity of (a bunch of) other films. I have mixed feelings on the characters - mostly the supporting ones. For me, Hiro and Fred really had the most interesting characters, while the other supporting characters (the other students, not the other people) were just kind of there. Not a huge gripe, though.

The other dimension(?) scene was really amazing, that was probably my favorite scene of the whole film.

Annie Hall

Can't believe I've never seen this before. I hate it when I find out that all this time I've been missing out on a great film.

Good comedy, well written narrative, and I really like Woody Allen's character. He's a rare example of a jerk who deserves all the crap that happens to him, yet we still follow about because he's interesting. We don't want him to suceed, but we're perfectly happy to sit back and watch him fail.

Manhattan

....it's the same film.

Well, not quite - but it's similar enough. It has all the traits present in Annie Hall, but without the comedy. Woody Allen still plays the same fussy, abusive, deeply unlikeable character - except apparently we're supposed to like him in Manhattan, whist Annie Hall worked so well because Allen's character drove everyone away from him to the point he only had the camera to turn to.

It was a mistake to watch both these films in a row. It's kind of like when I watched Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction together - except I came out of it prefering Pulp Fiction because it was like Reservoir Dogs (which I really enjoyed) but better. Manhattan is like Annie Hall only worse. I should've just watched Annie Hall twice...

YouTube
Max, She/They

MPfist0 wrote:

The Grand Budapest Hotel

So, in other words, the movie is too perfect for your liking? Too colorful, and too pretty?

Mickey wrote:
MPfist0 wrote:

The Grand Budapest Hotel

So, in other words, the movie is too perfect for your liking? Too colorful, and too pretty?

No. I didn't like the film because there was nothing under all those colors, or what was there was incomplete. Wes Anderson was too much worried about style he forgot to work on the content. The movie left me empty.

Sunrise: A Story of Two Humans
Beautifully creative and state of the art in its day, this film's extreme melodrama is easy to get over. It seems silly at the start, but as the film goes on in becomes quite endearing.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Been catching up on the films from 2014.

Force Majeure (Turist) Ruben Östlund, 2014
Family drama set in the Alps. They do some skiing but mostly spend their time arguing. As someone who, as a child, had parents that tended to get upset at one another on a semi-regular basis, it really managed to capture that feel of total helplessness and anxiety over the situation that you feel as a child. Every conversation is directed insanely well. Rarely do you see films where the characters feel as genuine and alive as in this one. It raises broader questions about machoism and family will still feeling very intimate and tense. Almost every single frame had my pulse going maximum speed.

Whiplash Damien Chazelle, 2014
Films about drummers shouldn't be this good. It's baffling how well put together this film is. J.K. Simmons is - as everybody is already aware of - worthy of any acting award anywhere. However, I don't want people to think Simmons is carrying the entire film on his shoulders because it's such a spectacular experience either way. The combination of visuals and sounds, and how it's used is just baffling. The last fifteen minutes are some of the best fifteen minutes in any film I've ever seen. It had me repeatedly punching the air with my fist to the beat of the drums. I was sore after. It's that engaging

Inherent Vice Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014
I'll refrain from trying to write an insightful review until I've given it a well-deserving rewatch. I need to wrap my head around it. Right now it's laying somewhere inbetween insanely entertaining and insanely difficult (which I do understand is the feeling they're going for, but y'know, I still feel like having a basic understanding of the plot before judging it, which I, uh, don't quite have right now).
It's a strange but also strangely enjoyable ride.

Leviathan (Левиафан) Andrey Zvyagintsev
A crushing experience that left me completely empty after I'd finished it. It's an extremely daring portrayal of contemporary Russia and its current (defunct) state, as well as being an enthralling family drama as they struggle to stay alive. It's hilarious and simultaneously philosophical and intelligent, it's ambitious in scope yet down to earth, and definitely one of the best of the past year. First and so far only of Zvyagintsev's films I've seen, and I'll have to fix that very soon.

Maps to the Stars David Cronenberg, 2014
It features a great cast, all playing interesting characters, but they aren't really allowed to do anything the least bit interesting until the last thirty minutes. If the ninety-or-so minutes leading up to the finale had been engaging I could possibly have loved it, but it's a painfully dull set of intertwining stories, all shot with the most boring cinematography I've probably ever seen.

Birdman Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2014
One of the best films I've seen. Many seem to have the same feeling about it. You should all see this film (unless you really love superhero films with all your heart, then maybe skip this one).

Two Days, One Night (Deux jours, une nuit) Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne, 2014
I like the Dardenne brothers and what I've seen of them; I like their kitchen sink dramas about real and genuine people in real and genuine situations and their gritty and unflattering portrayal of the all of that, but this one just didn't affect me like I hoped. It had a strong finish, but what led up to it was just "meh" to me. I can see the greatness, but I just didn't feel it. The emotional connection wasn't there.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

While I was a huge fan of the J.R.R. Tolkien novels, I had only rarely seen bits of the films on TV (and at that, they were probably panned and scanned) So, having gotten the a set for christmas, I was only able to watch them just over the weekend. - And they were pretty good.

I wouldn't say that it's my favorite film series of all time (that would be reserved for something like the Indiana Jones series or the Harry Potter saga) however, they really weren't bad films. The CGI still holds up today, though, at times, it could be very obvious that certain elements and aspects weren't "really in the shot." The acting fit the rest of the film - comedic when it needed to be, and serious and somber when necessary. It's definitely one of the greatest series ever produced.

I think that, out of the three films, the final one, The Return of the King, was the strongest one. The weakest out of the three was probably The Two Towers, but, even at that, it's a really great addition to the story, and, you wouldn't have The Lord of the Rings without it.

One thing that did get on my nerves, though, was how Sam was always calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo." It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine when, in fiction, a character is referred to by a title, and then their first name.

After all, you wouldn't have a hit show if it was called "Gregory M.D.", would you?

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

MPfist0 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
MPfist0 wrote:

The Grand Budapest Hotel

No. I didn't like the film because there was nothing under all those colors, or what was there was incomplete. Wes Anderson was too much worried about style he forgot to work on the content. The movie left me empty.

Hmm. Seems like the people that made this video had the same opinions, as far as vibrant color palettes and symmetrical camera angles, over character development, go.

The Penguins of Madagascar (2014)

I actually saw this one on Monday, but I never got the chance to post a full review about it, here, up until now. Anyways, the film's a lot of fun, and John Malkovich makes for a funny villain, but there is a lot of the usual "forced humor" that you can expect from Dreamworks. Still though, there are a lot of jokes that work. The last third is a letdown, though, and it gets a little too silly, even for an animated movie. So, definitely not the studio's best work, and I'm not feeling too excited about Home, even though I did enjoy the short film that inspired it, which was played before theatrical screenings of Mr. Peabody and Sherman, last year.

5.8/10

Last edited by Mickey (January 21, 2015 (05:00pm))

The Guardians of the Galaxy
Really overated in my opinion. It was boring and unfunny. The visual effects were great though.
6/10

Gone Girl
Great movie, the acting was great, aswell as the writing, and the ending.
8/10

The Maze Runner
The acting along with the visual effects were great. I like the story and writing is natural, a bit boring at times and some stuff didn't make sense but otherwise, pretty entertaining movie.
6.8/10

Recently I watched two films, both of which curiously enough involve dentists.

Inherent Vice

I'm not sure what to make of it.  I think I liked it...

This is definitely one of those films I'll have to re-watch it (possibly several times) to fully appreciate it.  The plot, if it can be described as such, is extraordinarily complicated, with several scenes that may or may not be the drug-induced hallucinations of the protagonist.  It's frustratingly elliptical and slow-moving, yet oddly hypnotic and weirdly charming at the same time.  The acting is one of the strongest aspects, there are some really great performances--Sportello, "Bigfoot", and Dr Threeply in particular (the scene in the asylum in particular is really funny).  I'm not sure what to make of the cinematography, as it feels rather basic and the shots are very long-drawn out (oftentimes there will be single shots of characters just talking... for 20 or so minutes), though this style is clearly intentional.  I feel like this film is the cinematic equivalent of a food with a strange flavour that you don't know what to make of when you eat it, but with a really nice aftertaste.  Still, it's just worth watching to see all of these weird characters interact with each other.  Plus, there's a lot of funny dialogue:

"Is that a swastika on that man's face?"
"No, it isn't.  That is an ancient Hindu symbol meaning 'all is well'."

"Being insane is not groovy."

"He suffered a 'trampoline accident'."

There are a few scenes that personally felt kind of awkward to me, but otherwise it's an extremely weird film, yet strangely appealing nonetheless.

Django Unchained

Who knew a film about slavery could be so much fun?

It's the second Tarantino film I've seen.  There's a lot of language, especially the use of the "n-word", but I didn't mind it so much as it felt pretty justified, given the setting and subject matter this film deals with.  There's also a lot of violence, but, again, that's hardly surprising.  At the same, there's enough material for some serious thought.  I quite like the theme of Schultz and Django playing the parts of "characters" in order to get close to their targets, and even though they're "heroic" both end up doing morally questionable things, or are forced to stand by and watch as innocent people suffer.

The acting is great to watch, with the characters perfectly cast.  Despite the fact that many of the actors play "against type" (if such a thing exists) they all do excellent jobs.  I do think I preferred Christoph Waltz in Inglorious B4$t3rds (for which he also won an Oscar), but he's always fun to watch and I really liked his role here, and he has some of the best lines in the film.  Leo DiCaprio puts in a great performance as the odious Calvin Candie, (especially when he goes all-out crazy during the "phrenology" scene).  The character of Stephen is particularly interesting, not least since it's highly unusual to see Samuel L. Jackson portray a character that is physically crippled and submissive yet wily.  He is perhaps one of the most intriguing characters in the film.  He's sycophantic yet cunning, and in the end smarter and more dangerous than Candie.

Spoiler (click to read)

Although he's a slave, he's more than willing to betray Schultz's and Django's plan to Candie, even if it doesn't bring him any profit.  And even after Candie's death, he's still supporting him and antagonizing Django.

Despite its almost 3-hour length, though, some of the characters feel underdeveloped.  We barely get to see Broomhilda do anything, and Django himself seems to be pushed to the sidelines a lot until the end of the film. 

Spoiler (click to read)

Also, the death of Schultz and Candie seems rather sudden and lacking in impact.  It especially makes Candie's part feel more like an extended cameo instead a proper supporting role.

The plotting is weak at times, too.  While the beginning is great, the pacing lags a fair bit towards the middle, though it picks up again towards the end.  There's quite a slow build-up, but the ending more than makes up for it.  The cinematography is great, and from the opening credits onwards it's clear it's meant to pay homage to classic Westerns, even to somebody like me, who hasn't seen many such films.  I particularly love the use of over-dramatic zooms:

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/django-gifs-13.gif

On the whole, I feel that it manages to balance the serious cruelty of slavery with the lighter tone of some of the other parts quite well, and despite (or perhaps because of) the violence the ending is so gloriously over-the-top one cannot help but love it.  And then you feel a bit guilty for loving it.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (February 4, 2015 (06:51pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Saving Private Ryan

Wow. My first time seeing the film. Steven Spielberg strikes again, creating a film so intense, so visceral, and so REAL, that one is helplessly moved by it. Tom Hanks did a fabulous job, his character being absolutely believable. Spielberg, as always, was spot on, depicting a horrific historical event with such poignance. I especially liked the use of handheld camera (specifically in the Normandy beach landing) to create a distinct feeling of confusion and chaos. John Williams' music fit perfectly, as it does in all of the films he works on.

I don't know what score I'd give this movie... but it would be high.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

The LEGO Movie

I have a special rule for not watching a movie until it's been a year since I last saw it to keep it fresh.  Since today is the anniversary of The LEGO Movie, I've watched it again.

It's still awesome the second time!

Spoiler (click to read)

The first time I watched it, the live action people creeped me out and I thought that they had way too much screen-time, however, after watching it a second time, it doesn't feel as weird.  Probably mostly because I'm used to it now and it didn't pop up unexpectedly.  So I'm really happy about this.

Happy Freedom Friday.

Blue is the Warmest Color (or La Vie d'Adele)

I put there both titles because actually the original french title is more accurate. Blue is the Warmest Color is the name of the comic book that was taken as inspiration for the movie, a comic book I happened to be able to read before watching the movie. This is one of those movies that is more appreciated if you've read the novel first. Here's why.
The book was... awful. I hated it from the first words on the first page, a story that wants so much to be devastating it fails so miserably, by making everything that's awful and unjust the author could think of happen, and not developing any of those things well. Drawings were another part of the book I didn't enjoy.
So actually, every time the movie did something that wasn't in the book, I was very happy.
The movie is full of long scenes of people having conversations, about nothing in particular, you sense that they  could be talking aobut anything actually, but what is important to the story is to have those people talking: an aspect that's not in the book, which only has people giving us crucial information to the development of the story, as if story was more important than character relations, instead of being as important. They talk about books, philosophy, arts, school, projects, life.
Another thing I enjoyed particularly about the movie, is how it does not use unnecessary tricks to tell its story, everything is shown in a small, quiet way, just as in real life: a glimpse is a glimpse, no slow motion, no score, nothing.

¡ Warning: 14+ !]

People have been complaining for overlong sex scenes in it, I'm sure most of you heard of it, some even going as far as saying that it looked like a dirty movie: people who say this probably didn't see the whole movie, otherwise they wouldn't complain, and here's why the french title is more accurate than the translation. The movie is about Adele's life, and sex is an important part of anyone's. When later in the movie, tension builds between Emma and Adele, we see in Adele's eyes passion, desire, regret, which we can fully understand only if we lived those moments with her: they are not only justified, for once in movie history they feel also necessary, and not exploited. They are shown in their entirety because everything else in the film is made that way.

Finally, the acting, from the main actresses, is great, you wish the two had more screen time together. Adele'd probably wish that too.

Wayne's World (1992)

Interestingly enough, today is the movie's 23rd birthday. And it's a hilarious movie, at that!

For those who don't know, "Wayne's World! Wayne's World!" was once a classic sketch on Saturday Night Live. The show had this bad habit of giving funny skits their own (and oftentimes, terrible) movie adaptations--i.e. 1993's Coneheads. But, Wayne's World is different, and I can see how it makes for an appropriate inspiration for the English animated webseries, Eddsworld. Both have an overabundance of overly-wacky characters, but the way the jokes play out makes that okay.

I love Eddsworld. I've seen just about every episode, and the British humor is wonderfully funny. Another similarity it shares with Wayne's World is that they both revolve around, not just the main character, but multiple characters, and they have multiple storylines and sub-plots, so it isn't a non-linear narrative. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey are hilarious, and the atmosphere feels a little nostalgic at some points too, even if that isn't at all what the filmmakers were going for.

The plot is a lot of fun, and it's packed with great jokes. Too bad Nickelodeon's iCarly had to go and besmirch any originality or creativity the movie had. I really like director Penelope Spheeris' other work, especially The Little Rascals, so it's great to see some of her earlier films.

I really enjoyed this, and it made for a great first watch. I'll have to see about watching the sequel, though...

9.5/10